IGNORED

2014 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3671 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rory's only 24 and he's won two majors. Pretty sure it's too early to call or lose faith.

Not saying he's not going to win majors. But I just don't see him racking up a lot. I just don't think he has the putter or the consistency to really break out and become dominant. And I know he's young, but we've seen many players in our time peak at a young age. But Rory's putter is really the key. If he's going to take it to the next level and dominate the game, he has to putt better.

Speaking of unique swings...Anyone see the brief analysis of Couples' shoulder alignment at address? They showed his feet flared and basically positioned down the target line, but the shoulders pointing maybe 10-15* left of the target. Anyone ever tried that? Would that in any way lead to violating any 5SK principle? Update: I think it was on the 18th hole and was trying to fade it a bit? Maybe the alignment of shoulders promotes a specific shot shape and he doesn't do it every time? I'm not sure.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Speaking of unique swings...Anyone see the brief analysis of Couples' shoulder alignment at address? They showed his feet flared and basically positioned down the target line, but the shoulders pointing maybe 10-15* left of the target. Anyone ever tried that? Would that in any way lead to violating any 5SK principle? Update: I think it was on the 18th hole and was trying to fade it a bit? Maybe the alignment of shoulders promotes a specific shot shape and he doesn't do it every time? I'm not sure.

He plays a push-cut as his stock shot, I think, so that's why he aims so far left.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Faldo won six majors so I'm not sure how that's relevant.

The world is more obsessed with the swing and handicaps keep dropping. Don't think it's a coincidence.

It's relevant because you don't have to have a textbook swing to play good golf.

It's not a knock on Faldo's career, and it's not a knock on having a textbook swing.  However, this thought that there's only one way to swing a golf club and produce good results is silliness.

You don't see too many books written on Furyk's, Palmer's, Watston, Mickelson's swing -----and Nicklaus's book was written by Nicklaus himself.  Mickelson's book is on the short game, not full swings.

No, but you do see books about what their swings have in common, and [i]that's[/i] what some of us try to emulate.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
it's a very difficult swing to teach and since Bubba is self-taught, he knows the idiosyncrasies of it - don't think a student could learn it - any pro that teaches this swing will probably starve to death because he won't find many return customers.

Nobody is trying to teach "his" swing exactly. Why would they?

You can teach elements of his swing (five are somewhat obvious, and within those, a few other little sub-components). Nobody would teach Jim Furyk's swing either, but an instructor could easily teach Jim Furyk.

You don't see too many books written on Furyk's, Palmer's, Watston, Mickelson's swing -----and Nicklaus's book was written by Nicklaus himself.  Mickelson's book is on the short game, not full swings.

All have all five keys. :) Or to put it another way…

No, but you do see books about what their swings have in common, and that's what some of us try to emulate.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's relevant because you don't have to have a textbook swing to play good golf. It's not a knock on Faldo's career, and it's not a knock on having a textbook swing.  However, this thought that there's only one way to swing a golf club and produce good results is silliness.

There are plenty of ways to swing, yes, but if you're trying to play well with a severely over the top golf swing, it's gonna be more difficult. Like, yeah, you can write a novel in pen but it's probably easier to type it.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

One other interesting observation.  The media's obsession with TW has completely overshadowed Jordan Spieth's explosion on the PGA Tour.  He has certainly gotten some love, but more in the context of "He's a good young player".  If he pulls this off today, TW's start would pale in comparison to what Spieth has done prior to being able to buy a beer to celebrate a victory.

My rooting interests for today in order:

Kuchar

Spieth

Fowler/Jimenez

Blixt

I'd love to see Freddie pull it off, but he's just too far back.

• Administrator
There are plenty of ways to swing, yes, but if you're trying to play well with a severely over the top golf swing, it's gonna be more difficult. Like, yeah, you can write a novel in pen but it's probably easier to type it.

Who is over the top?

Because your answer either has to be "nearly every PGA Tour player" or "almost no PGA Tour players" depending on what you mean by "over the top".

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Who is over the top? Because your answer either has to be "nearly every PGA Tour player" or "almost no PGA Tour players" depending on what you mean by "over the top".

I was speaking more of amateur golfers who slice the ball a lot. Should've made that more clear.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Sure but The Old Man and The Sea wouldn't have been any better if Hemingway had typed it.  That's what the swing tacticians seem to have a had time grasping.

Faldo was talking about Bubba yesterday morning and said something along the lines of "Bubba's swing is all over the place, but I asked him about it and he said all he cares about is the final results, how the golf ball gets to where it needs to go doesn't matter" and Faldo seemed dumbfounded by that concept.

I get that guys who are big swing tacticians focus on the swing, and there's nothing wrong with that.  However it seems that some guys get so into the swing that they forget what the purpose of golf is to get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes, not have the prettiest swing.  I fully understand that a perfect textbook swings will typically produce good results, but it's not theonly way.

Brad Faxon picked up on something  Bubba was doing - spoke about it before yesterday's round. Said Bubba was lifting up the putter on the backswing. Wonder if that had anything to do with Bubba's putting difficulties yesterday and whether Bubba will be able to correct the problem. I think now that he got his ugly round out of his system, he'll play better today. His length reminds me of the advantage TW had in his '97 win.

Bubba's not a particularly good putter. It's the rounds where he does putt well that are the anomalies.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

You know, Spieth looks he is really set to become a force on tour and lots have noted that. I had my doubts for some time about Rickie, but the way he is playing now and the revamped swing and coaching from Butch, Rickie certainly has the talent to do just the same. I'm not completely sold yet, but there is a glimmer of hope a lot more than a year ago.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

He plays a push-cut as his stock shot, I think, so that's why he aims so far left.

Just saw this:

The very first post is about Freddie's open stance. From the shot they analyzed, his feet were "square" but shoulders were significantly "open." That was the interesting part to me. Interesting the Erik preferred to be slightly open with his feet and slightly closed with his shoulders (in July 2009 anyway :)

But anyway, I thought it was interesting that a guy like Freddie plays the course so well with his stock fade as a righty.  But I have also read that with 5 of the 11 winners being lefties that the course favors lefties who hit a fade. Articles like this: http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/14907235.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

One other interesting observation.  The media's obsession with TW has completely overshadowed Jordan Spieth's explosion on the PGA Tour.  He has certainly gotten some love, but more in the context of "He's a good young player".  If he pulls this off today, TW's start would pale in comparison to what Spieth has done prior to being able to buy a beer to celebrate a victory.

My rooting interests for today in order:

Kuchar

Spieth

Fowler/Jimenez

Blixt

I'd love to see Freddie pull it off, but he's just too far back.

I disagree.  Any tournament that Speith is doing well in invariably finds not only the announcers and TGC creaming themselves but also being reminded ad nauseam that he's only 20 years old.

From their perspective, I'm sure they hope he's the next Tiger in terms of moving the needle.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

You know, Spieth looks he is really set to become a force on tour and lots have noted that. I had my doubts for some time about Rickie, but the way he is playing now and the revamped swing and coaching from Butch, Rickie certainly has the talent to do just the same. I'm not completely sold yet, but there is a glimmer of hope a lot more than a year ago.

I like Rickie Fowler. I like his golf swing, his interaction with fans/press/fellow competitors. He doesn't come across as cocky/arrogant.  I'd like to see him win several tournaments - He'd be extremely good for he game if he did.  He's already good for the game.   I like Spieth's handling of this media focus and hope he wins many as well. I just don't want a major winner to be a one-hit-wonder. If either of these guys wins, hope it is just the beginning of greatness in golf.

I like Rickie Fowler. I like his golf swing, his interaction with fans/press/fellow competitors. He doesn't come across as cocky/arrogant.  I'd like to see him win several tournaments - He'd be extremely good for he game if he did.  He's already good for the game.

I loved his post round interview yesterday. Just a short 2 min convo with I forget who on the course. He came across as he usually does, but showing confidence, not arrogance just pure confidence. Its good to see from him. I feel like too much the past few years, it came across like he didnt believe in himself enough. I hope I dont jinx it, but I really wanna see him win this. If he doesnt, it would still help his confidence putting up a 69-70 today an finishing top 3. Still something good to build on for him. I still have my dreams of him an Rory being the future TW vs Phil. Can you imagine that rivalry for the next 15yrs?

• Upvote 1

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Note: This thread is 3671 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!