IGNORED

Tiger Woods out of Masters Following Surgery for Pinched Nerve

foreleft
Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seriously.  For a guy who's not exactly old and who has been in tip-top shape, seemingly his whole life, he seems to be falling apart as if he's made of balsa wood.

Age has little to do with it.

I'm 27, have a herniated disc ( skateboarding ) and lack of cartilage in both knees ( skateboarding ) both causing debilitating pain.

My lifestyle caused the issues I have, and most likely, the same for Tiger if stories of his navy seal training regiment etc are true.

Tiger may look in shape, and gets there by working out, but working out can do serious damage on joints, bones, ligaments etc

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Pretty disappointing that there might be a golfer with black pants and a red shirt out there on Sunday but it won't be Tiger.

The other guy with black pants and a red shirt on might be out there on Sunday, but his round will almost be over before the coverage even comes on.

@Spitfisher please multi-quote

So we don't get this

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Age has little to do with it.

I'm 27, have a herniated disc ( skateboarding ) and lack of cartilage in both knees ( skateboarding ) both causing debilitating pain.

My lifestyle caused the issues I have, and most likely, the same for Tiger if stories of his navy seal training regiment etc are true.

Tiger may look in shape, and gets there by working out, but working out can do serious damage on joints, bones, ligaments etc

Yeah, I wasn't speaking about the back injury specifically.  I am well aware of herniated discs - I have 2 of them - and how age has little affect.

But just in general, he's had lots of injuries lately (the back, the knee, the other knee, the wrist) and in the last several years, and that's not common amongst golfers of that age.

Heck, maybe it's just caused by lack of rest, and trying to play through minor injuries thus creating major ones.  Who knows?  It's unfortunate though.

Yeah, I wasn't speaking about the back injury specifically.  I am well aware of herniated discs - I have 2 of them - and how age has little affect.

But just in general, he's had lots of injuries lately (the back, the knee, the other knee, the wrist) and in the last several years, and that's not common amongst golfers of that age.

Heck, maybe it's just caused by lack of rest, and trying to play through minor injuries thus creating major ones.  Who knows?  It's unfortunate though.

Didn't Tiger also herniate one of the discs in his neck? Like you wrote, lots of wear and tear on this guy.

Didn't Tiger also herniate one of the discs in his neck? Like you wrote, lots of wear and tear on this guy.

Sort of, yeah ... I googled and found this ...

1. Several injuries to the left knee (1994, 2002, 2007, 2008)
  2. A fractured left leg (2008)
  3. Ruptured right achilles (2008)
  4. Inflammation in his neck, originally feared to be a bulging disc (2010)
  5. Right achilles again (2010)
  6. Left knee again, and left achilles (2011)
  7. Left achilles again (2012)
  8. Left elbow (2013)
  9. Back (2013 +)

Several injuries to the left knee (1994, 2002, 2007, 2008)

A fractured left leg (2008)

Ruptured right achilles (2008)

Inflammation in his neck, originally feared to be a bulging disc (2010)

Right achilles again (2010)

Left knee again, and left achilles (2011)

Left achilles again (2012)

Left elbow (2013)

Back (2013 +)

Wow! That is a lot of injuries, for any athlete let alone a golfer.

I wonder if the "what goes around comes around thing is affecting Tiger now? Remember he's not the greatest person, cheated on his wife, etc. Sure he is nicer guy now, but up until about 3-4 years ago, he was pretty much an a-hole to everybody (including his ex).

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Wow! That is a lot of injuries, for any athlete let alone a golfer. I wonder if the "what goes around comes around thing is affecting Tiger now? Remember he's not the greatest person, cheated on his wife, etc. Sure he is nicer guy now, but up until about 3-4 years ago, he was pretty much an a-hole to everybody (including his ex).

I doubt karma is what's hurting him. He's a pro athlete with bad injury luck. Some athletes go their whole careers without a big injury, some don't. Bad luck, I think.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Left elbow (2013)

Back (2013 +)

Wow! That is a lot of injuries, for any athlete let alone a golfer.

I wonder if the "what goes around comes around thing is affecting Tiger now? Remember he's not the greatest person, cheated on his wife, etc. Sure he is nicer guy now, but up until about 3-4 years ago, he was pretty much an a-hole to everybody (including his ex).

I do believe somewhat in "what goes around, comes around", but I certainly do not think it applies here.  I more or less feel it works where you may do some favors or help someone out.  Typically word gets around and people are more apt to help you.

Kind of like the my swing threads.... :-) Who here would not help Mike if he needed it?????

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I wouldn't be surprised if he got rid of Foley after all this.

Ironically I think its more likely his herniated disc is related to his workout regime than his golf swing.  Lifting heavy weight is a good way to do it.

Now I won't be mad when the featured coverage is Charl Schwartzel instead of tiger. That's about the only positive about this story.

Driver: Titleist 910d2

Irons: Mizuno MP4s kbs tour shafts

Vokey Wedges 50 54 & 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback

Balls: Pro v1x 

Ironically I think its more likely his herniated disc is related to his workout regime than his golf swing.  Lifting heavy weight is a good way to do it.

I never under stood why heavy lifting was needed for golf, was it too intimidate a certain look? Its not natural to the human body, his predecessors never did it * and today his peers do lighter weights, yoga and stretching etc.

*Don't flame me I yes, there is probably an exception some where with someone.

Left elbow (2013)

Back (2013 +)

if you look further at those earlier injuries of the left knee, it was pretty standard stuff for someone playing sports in general. We used to call it fluid on the knee, draining it you could practically go to you high school nurse to have it done- or live with it. It eventually drains itself.

Now from 2008 for forward injuries involving joints almost becomes clock work, almost like he went off his meds or something? or some sort of rapid degradation.

I never under stood why heavy lifting was needed for golf, was it too intimidate a certain look? Its not natural to the human body, his predecessors never did it * and today his peers do lighter weights, yoga and stretching etc.

*Don't flame me I yes, there is probably an exception some where with someone.

I agree with you 100%.  It isn't helping his golf game and I would argue it has hurt it.

Do you think he should get rid of Foley?

Personally, yes. I don't like the swing changes he made and I think his new swing puts more pressure on his back.

I never under stood why heavy lifting was needed for golf, was it too intimidate a certain look? Its not natural to the human body, his predecessors never did it * and today his peers do lighter weights, yoga and stretching etc.  *Don't flame me I yes, there is probably an exception some where with someone.

Gary Player is an obsessive lifter; he was way ahead of his time in that regard. [quote name="Spitfisher" url="/t/73617/tiger-woods-out-of-masters-following-surgery-for-pinched-nerve/60#post_970592"] if you look further at those earlier injuries of the left knee, it was pretty standard stuff for someone playing sports in general. We used to call it fluid on the knee, draining it you could practically go to you high school nurse to have it done- or live with it. It eventually drains itself. Now from 2008 for forward injuries involving joints almost becomes clock work, almost like he went off his meds or something? or some sort of rapid degradation. [/quote] The broken leg in 2008 probably contributed to all the other leg injuries after. Puts stress in other places. The upper body stuff is worrisome, though it's not uncommon for athletes of this age to start breaking down.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!