IGNORED

TaylorMade Proposes 15 Inch holes!

Bechambo
Note: This thread is 3542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Would you be for a 15" cup as an option for golfers?

• Dedicated 15" cup courses. (Absolutely)
    • Alternate days. (Sometimes)
    • Maybe for April fools. (Rarely)
    • I'll play persimmons 'till the day I die. (Never)

• Administrator

Selected quotes from: http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/SB10001424052702304311204579508114039254966-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwOTExNDkyWj

Quote:

Recreational golfers usually spend about one-third of their time on and around the greens, according to USGA research.

On Monday I played a round in which our time on the greens was slashed in half. It was fast, fun and liberating.

In carts, we zoomed around the course, playing tee-to-green as quickly as in a regular round. But we dispensed with the lion's share of the short-game choreography that not only slows down the game, but can intimidate newcomers.

Among the things we never or rarely did in the round: remove the flagstick; mark our balls; study the line of a putt for more than 15 seconds; wait a long time for someone else to putt, because whoever happened to be ready played next; and agonize over second putts. No one three-putted all day.

As you've probably already guessed from the photo, there was a catch. The holes were 15 inches in diameter, instead of the regulation 4¼ inches. If you're a golf purist, feel free at this point to sputter: "That's not golf! That's a perversion of golf!"

Maybe so. But I'm a golf purist, and I can't wait to play with 15-inch holes again. Would I want to play every round that way? Not at all. But I can see doing it every once in a while, at group events like corporate outings or in special designated tournaments at my local club or muni. And I'd love to see kids, beginners and disheartened casual golfers have access to 15-inch golf, as an option, to make the game more inviting.

Since the consequences of missing an aggressive chip or a long birdie putt are minimal, thanks to those 10- to 15-foot gimmes, the vibe in 15-inch-hole golf is a notably more gonzo. You can putt through most breaks. In the handful of experimental events thus far, scores are typically 10 strokes lower in 15-inch golf than in regular play, and 18-hole rounds are 30 to 45 minutes shorter.

The event here was part of the Hack Golf initiative rolled out earlier this year by TaylorMade and now jointly backed by the PGA of America. The concept of Hack Golf—"hack" as in computerese, not hacking up a golf course—is to solicit fresh ideas for bringing more new players into the game, and retaining current ones.

To make the current initiative viable, TaylorMade paid a Minnesota company called Par Aide to manufacture 15-inch hole-cutters, cups, coordinated tee markers and shorter-than-usual flags (to distinguish them from regular flags which might still be on the green). Over the next six weeks, TaylorMade will ship big-hole kits to 100 courses free of charge. After that, Par Aide will sell kits to courses starting at $700 for just the cutter and cups. Par Aide President Mike Hilliard said that eventually 15-inch holes shouldn't take much longer to cut than regular holes, with similar wear and tear on the greens.

"Call it whatever you want, but we've got to get past this notion that unless you're playing nine or 18 holes, with 4¼-inch holes, it's not golf," Bishop said. "This is a form of the sport, just like playing H-O-R-S-E on the backyard hoop is a form of basketball."

I'm working with Whispering Woods here in Erie. We're going to run a 15" hole event as soon as we can.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Selected quotes from: http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/SB10001424052702304311204579508114039254966-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwOTExNDkyWj

I'm working with Whispering Woods here in Erie. We're going to run a 15" hole event as soon as we can.

If you could do it on Mother's Day weekend I could play in it!  (I'll be in Jamestown that weekend.)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

• Administrator

If you could do it on Mother's Day weekend I could play in it!  (I'll be in Jamestown that weekend.)

You should come see us either way. That might be a great time to do it… I just don't know if he can get the equipment in by then.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You should come see us either way. That might be a great time to do it… I just don't know if he can get the equipment in by then.

Perhaps.  I was going to golf with a friend of mine who likes some course in PA south of Jamestown, maybe I'll steer him over to Erie instead.

My take on it is that I reckon people would be amazed at how many 10 foot putts they miss.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Trying to run through my last round and figure what I would have scored with 15" holes ...

Yup, it would have been on the realm of 10-12 shots lower.  My 84 would have been something like a 73 with 19-20 putts instead of 30. :beer:

Trying to run through my last round and figure what I would have scored with 15" holes ... Yup, it would have been on the realm of 10-12 shots lower.  My 84 would have been something like a 73 with 19-20 putts instead of 30. :beer:

Putting is currently a glaring weakness for me, might even be more strokes for me. :beer: :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I would like to see it up close. Will be interesting to see how many putts it saves people. I can see being able to hammer it through breaks on shorter putts. Should kill 3 putts for decent golfers.

Dave :-)

I wish we had used 15" holes yesterday.

I saw more 3 putts in that round of golf among our group than I have ever seen before, by a wide margin.

Lightning fast dormant Bermuda + slow patches of emerging new grass + 30mph winds = a complete nightmare on the greens.

One guy barely touched his very slightly downhill 12' putt and the wind kept pushing it and pushing it until it went completely off of the green 30' past the hole.

However, it wouldn't make much sense to change the hole size for what is clearly a seasonal issue (I know that's not what you are proposing).  I've had rounds where the weather or seasonal conditions made play very difficult, but I didn't lobby for a radical course change to fix it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

One of the local public courses in my area is running 8 inch Tuesdays where the hole is 8" wide.

https://www.redwoods-golf.com/course/8-inch-tuesdays

Wilbon and Kornheiser had a segment on the 15" holes on their show today.

Kornheiser acted surprised that play was down. I can see somebody living in a city (and having a hard time getting a tee time) thinking that. Even in Chattanooga I would think there are more people than ever playing golf based on the number of people on the courses when I go up there.

Overflow from the city courses used to go to the courses in the outlying areas. Now it seems those golfers that don't get a tee time just stay home.

The final answer, whether we like it or not, may end up being many fewer golf courses and only close to more populated areas or tourist destinations.

In regards to the 15" holes Kornheiser said "It's not the putting that hurts me. It's shankopotomusing the ball down the fairways. I need netting down the sides of all of the fairways." :-D

One of the local public courses in my area is running 8 inch Tuesdays where the hole is 8" wide.

https://www.redwoods-golf.com/course/8-inch-tuesdays

I like that idea. Just do it one day a week and not the ridiculously large 15" cups.

Otherwise I think you'd risk losing customers. I wouldn't want to play golf very often if I had to play 15" cups. That kind of takes the fun out of putting.

I still think a cup size increase across the board for the entire game would be cool. http://thesandtrap.com/t/60753/great-putting-is-just-luck-why-we-should-make-the-cup-bigger/90

:whistle:

I would like to see it up close. Will be interesting to see how many putts it saves people. I can see being able to hammer it through breaks on shorter putts. Should kill 3 putts for decent golfers.

The only worry I have is if the ball bounces off the bottom of the plastic cup from an approach shot or strong chip. They might need a dampening mechanism like artificial turf or something.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The only worry I have is if the ball bounces off the bottom of the plastic cup from an approach shot or strong chip. They might need a dampening mechanism like artificial turf or something.

From the video in the OP, it looks like there's sand in the cup.

From the video in the OP, it looks like there's sand in the cup.

Yes, i see that now. Is this enough? I suppose they could put tiny rakes around the cup to let golfers finishing up make sure no plastic shows? :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

how does someone become good or great at something by making it easier , i imagine they can start by giving out participation

trophies out at the end of a round , anything worth having like a ( skill ) is worth working for

how does someone become good or great at something by making it easier , i imagine they can start by giving out participation

trophies out at the end of a round , anything worth having like a ( skill ) is worth working for

Big holes are not "game improvement" devices.  They are devices to get people to have fun on a golf course and play more.

I agree that nothing worth doing is easy, but I have the luxury of time: no kids and an understanding (and encouraging) girlfriend.  I can see people who want to play but can't play/practice often enough to make the game fun for them.  Big holes might get them on a course and they might come back more often.

Note: This thread is 3542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!