IGNORED

What is the most GIR you have ever hit in a round?

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can see how pro GIR would be a little low due to shooting at flags compared to amateurs that are likely just trying to keep it near the fat of the green. The assumption being if all pros wanted to do was hit the green their GIR stats would be higher. Their misses aren't the WFT stuff we experience, lots of short chips near flags and balls on the fringe near the hole.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can see how pro GIR would be a little low due to shooting at flags compared to amateurs that are likely just trying to keep it near the fat of the green. The assumption being if all pros wanted to do was hit the green their GIR stats would be higher. Their misses aren't the WFT stuff we experience, lots of short chips near flags and balls on the fringe near the hole.

We schmucks shoot at pins as much as the pros do, unfortunately.  Their misses are much smarter than ours.....and end up on the green more than ours.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

That's pretty strong.

Just as a point of reference, Tiger managed to average 12.2 GIR last year. Graeme MacDowell averaged 11.3.

Do you remember how many greens McDowell hit when you played with him?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Do you remember how many greens McDowell hit when you played with him?

Yeah. All of them!

In David's bag....

The round that stands out to me was 16 GIRs- NO BIRDIES! = frustration!!!...  It was in a conference tournament and i shot 75 with no birdies and a 3 putt!!!!  15 pars - 3 bogies...  and the three put came on 17 when I was convinced I wasn't leaving it short and I was going to make a damn 10 foot birdie putt..... blew it by the hole and missed it coming back... 3 putt from 10 feet - most frustrating 75 I have ever shot... and it still erks me lol

Kicker... the day before I only hit 2 greens in the same tournament!!!!  TWO!

I average 7 greens and my short game is horrible...  I would also estimate an average of 1.5 double bogies a round which usually comes on one of the first five holes and is usually to a very stupid aggressive shot that I shouldn't be trying to pull off   -    but it's fun to try them lol

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

On the other side of things, three years ago I had 0 (yes, zero) GIR, but managed an 89 (17 over).

I even birdied the 18th hole, running in a 24-foot putt from the back fringe.

(I was spraying my irons that day, and had lots of short chip shots).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I love all the "I usually" and "Probably" responses with regard to average GIR..........

Unless stats are kept, a golfer has no idea what percentage are hit on average.  The number is probably MUCH lower than you think....... I know from experience.   When I started keeping accurate hole-by-hole stats, I was shocked by how bad my stats really were!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I was thinking the same. I know there are some good players on here, but a lot of touring pros wouldn't be too upset with averaging 13 greens. I don't always track my stats, but in the rounds I do track I average just under 50%

The most I have hit is 9. Yesterday was back down to 4. My normal recent number is somewhere between 4 to 6. However, I am including everything on the green, and not just the ones where it was close to the pin. I think these give me worse scores than if they were 4" on the fringe so I could chip. Need to practice putting again, I completely lost that skill in the last few months or so. GIR doesn't help unless you have maximized your putting skills.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

I love all the "I usually" and "Probably" responses with regard to average GIR..........

Unless stats are kept, a golfer has no idea what percentage are hit on average.  The number is probably MUCH lower than you think....... I know from experience.   When I started keeping accurate hole-by-hole stats, I was shocked by how bad my stats really were!

My response was I hit 7 to 8 GIR on average. Last year I hit 42.3% of the greens over the course of the season. That translates into 7.614 greens, which seemed like a poor way to describe my "normal" day versus the 7 to 8 statement.

Brian Kuehn

True dat.  Driving distance is another...... ;-)

In David's bag....

That is why I post not only actual stats but the details behind them in these types of threads. As I mentioned earlier my ytd GIR stat is 41.8%. Which for me an improvement from my starting point of less than 5% when I got back into golf in 2012. However it lead to more 3 putts so it just traded a chip for a putt on most holes. Despite playing what seems like better holf the reality is my scores haven't changed much recently. It is part of the process, the growing pains. With work and time I will eventually refine it. Just reveals what needs to be the next piece needed to evolve as a golfer.

Dave :-)

True dat.  Driving distance is another......    ;-)

I suppose I was going by the title which asks the most. Kind of like what's the farthest you have ever driven a ball?

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

'm sure I've seen it before somewhere on the site but I'd be really interested to see a graph showing correlation between average GIR and average score.

Henry

• Administrator

'm sure I've seen it before somewhere on the site but I'd be really interested to see a graph showing correlation between average GIR and average score.

The rough formula is 95 - (2 * GIR).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!