IGNORED

Putting - DO NOT Accelerate Through the Ball

iacas

That's where I've seen my biggest improvement. Between going with the claw grip and implementing this pendulum stroke I haven't have more than a 2 putt in the last 18 holes, which as you may remember, is a HUGE improvement for me :-P

Yea I slightly modified my grip a bit. I am standing a bit further from the ball now. Getting the putter more inline with my forearms. I also went with a grip that was more in the palms of my hands, especially the right hand. For me at least that way I am taking out a face rotation and turning my wrists into a hinge. where it can only hinge left and right.

Yea if you get that putting down you could shave 4-5 strokes off your game. That one day you had to have at least 6-7 three putts, just all over the place with your distance control.

Very similar for me yesterday.  I played 18, had 6 GIR, and had 2 others that were fairly close, so I used the putter 30 times, and had 28 official putts.   (Everything else sucked, but the putting was good ;))

I did have one 3 putt though, which was annoying.  I still seem to average one 3-putt every round or two.  I need to get rid of those, and get rid of wild tee shots, and then I'll pretty much be golden. :)

I am really getting that pitching technique down. What was once a fear in my game is a strength now. I know, you get down to single digits and you start seeing those small occurrences creep into the score. If only I didn't have that three putt. That one duff chip. That stupid drive. Its just insane how you go from praying for solid contact to bitching about the little things. God I love this game :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am really getting that pitching technique down. What was once a fear in my game is a strength now. I know, you get down to single digits and you start seeing those small occurrences creep into the score. If only I didn't have that three putt. That one duff chip. That stupid drive. Its just insane how you go from praying for solid contact to bitching about the little things. God I love this game

This is golf summed up perfectly. However good you get you will always have COULDA, SHOULDA, and WOULDAs but then thats why we all love it, you never get bored.

Regarding the topic of putting and avoiding the OT flag ;-) I am thinking of experimenting with one of these counterbalanced putters which i have heard numerous times help a lot in making your stroke more pedulem like, much like anchoring does. Do you think i should take a leap of faith and put a counter balanced grip onto my Scotty Cameron or should i get one on a 'cheap' putter first and see whether i like it? And to anyone using one already did you see the benefits straight away or did it take a few rounds to adjust?

EDIT (5/16/14): added last sentence

Henry

This is golf summed up perfectly. However good you get you will always have COULDA, SHOULDA, and WOULDAs but then thats why we all love it, you never get bored. Regarding the topic of putting and avoiding the OT flag ;-)  I am thinking of experimenting with one of these counterbalanced putters which i have heard numerous times help a lot in making your stroke more pedulem like, much like anchoring does. Do you think i should take a leap of faith and put a counter balanced grip onto my Scotty Cameron or should i get one on a 'cheap' putter first and see whether i like it? And to anyone using one already did you see the benefits straight away or did it take a few rounds to adjust? [SIZE=8px]EDIT (5/16/14): added last sentence[/SIZE]

Tape a heavy round magnet to the end of the Scotty, see how that feels.

Colin P.

I'll see what i can find and give it a go... i reckon a couple of pound coins will work well

Henry

I'll see what i can find and give it a go... i reckon a couple of pound coins will work well

Those are pretty big.  You may affect the earth's gravity with them! ;-)

Make sure you center whatever weight you add for the test or it could affect the head rotation during the stroke.  I have lead tape across the sole of my putter.  I added about 8 grams to the head and my distance control has been very good.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I used nickels, which weight approx. 5 grams each so I could experiment and keep track of what i was adding, I also had a pretty good idea of where I would end up weight wise from the quickie fitting I did with Iacas. According to wikipedia, a twenty pence piece weighs 5 grams so try going with that. The stacking of coins on the butt of your club will give you a good approximation but the real deal feels way better. The coin stack effectively lengthens your shaft so it doesn't feel quite the same as the actual internal weighting does.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

@boogielicious and @Ernest Jones . Thanks for your responses, very useful. I have been messing around in my kitchen with different coins taped allover my putter. I have found that I really like an extra 30g taped to the head and a bit of weight in the grip but still experimenting with that. I think I shall try to get some lead tape to stick on the head for next time I play. Might look better than coins.

Henry

Let us know how it goes @FooFader .

Scott

My Swing Thread

@boogieliciousand @Ernest Jones. Thanks for your responses, very useful. I have been messing around in my kitchen with different coins taped allover my putter.

I have found that I really like an extra 30g taped to the head and a bit of weight in the grip but still experimenting with that.

I think I shall try to get some lead tape to stick on the head for next time I play. Might look better than coins.

You'll be hard pressed to get 30 grams of lead tape on the putter. From experience that is A LOT of lead tape. That is partially the reason why I went with an Edel putter because they can make them to basically any head weight you want. Most putters out there only come in about 340 grams.

I would take a look at the Tank putters from Odyssey as an option. You can always regrip those and buy a Tour Lock weight set and try that out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

You'll be hard pressed to get 30 grams of lead tape on the putter. From experience that is A LOT of lead tape. That is partially the reason why I went with an Edel putter because they can make them to basically any head weight you want. Most putters out there only come in about 340 grams.  I would take a look at the Tank putters from Odyssey as an option. You can always regrip those and buy a Tour Lock weight set and try that out.

I shall see what I can do with tape but failing that I shall look into a heavier putter because the added weight definitely felt good even if I haven't played with it yet. Would love an edel but AFAIK, edel is not in the UK nor is there any sort of equivalent

Henry

I shall see what I can do with tape but failing that I shall look into a heavier putter because the added weight definitely felt good even if I haven't played with it yet.

Would love an edel but AFAIK, edel is not in the UK nor is there any sort of equivalent

You may not need that much extra weight.  Try it in increments.  I only needed two pieces of tape and they both fit perfectly across the sole with no overlap.  Bonus is the base of my putter is protected!!

Scott

My Swing Thread

You'll be hard pressed to get 30 grams of lead tape on the putter. From experience that is A LOT of lead tape. That is partially the reason why I went with an Edel putter because they can make them to basically any head weight you want. Most putters out there only come in about 340 grams.

I would take a look at the Tank putters from Odyssey as an option. You can always regrip those and buy a Tour Lock weight set and try that out.

I shall see what I can do with tape but failing that I shall look into a heavier putter because the added weight definitely felt good even if I haven't played with it yet.

Would love an edel but AFAIK, edel is not in the UK nor is there any sort of equivalent

Just throwing this out there as an another source of well weighted putters, putters are almost all in the 350-355 gram range, which is the sweet spot for many players.

As for the lead tape, @WUTiger posted a link somewhere about a product from golfsmith, little square tungsten weights that are self adhesive and only measure 1/2 inch square. I believe they were 2g per square which sounds like a great solution versus the old lead tape wad stuck onto your putter.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

@FooFader , could also try the Heavy Putter.  It's something like a 200g head and 180g grip.  I absolutely love mine.  Helped me reduce the swing/stab action, and now that I'm actively trying for the true pendulum/free fall feeling, it's made that quite easy to get used to as well.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I've ordered some lead tape from amazon that shall be arriving next week so I can properly experiment and take it to the course. I am also planning a trip to the golf shop soon too where I know they have some counter weighted putters that I can mess around with. I shall post an update at some point soon and thank you @mdl @saevel25 @Ernest Jones and everyone else. Your suggestions have been most helpful

Henry

• 3 weeks later...

Today was the 3rd round for me concentration on using this putting method. All 3 rounds were 18 holes and my putter per round went 28/33/31.  Also Ive only had 2 three putts in the 3 rounds.  Im watching the St Jude classic and I just watched Brad Fritsch finish on 18.  He is definitely accelerating through his strike when he's putting and the announcers made the comment how great his putting stroke is. I just wanted to make note of that because we are all getting a great deal of good information on this site.  So thanks again Erik this thread (for me at least) is like a bonus chapter of the book I can't wait to read it.

I think I accelerate thru the ball. I'm heading to the practic range tomorrow to work on putting. Hit the first 11 greens in reg yesterday. 10 pars and one bogey. I need to fix something.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I think I accelerate thru the ball. I'm heading to the practic range tomorrow to work on putting. Hit the first 11 greens in reg yesterday. 10 pars and one bogey. I need to fix something.

Yeah, just get closer to the pin!!! You don't need to do much when you are hitting that many GIR trust me! ;)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I never really paid attention to what I do, until recently when one of my playing partners said that I need to accelerate more through my putt.. I kind of just shook my head in my own mind since I was putting better than him.. Then when I read this thread, it just dawned on me how much misinformation is handed out to players on a daily basis!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad