IGNORED

Available to Pro's only Titleist ProV's

Note: This thread is 3285 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I thought I mentioned a documentary that a lot of people here have seen.  Go and look up the TaylorMade one on Youtube. You'll find that I couldn't be more right. Obviously each ball has to possess certain qualities and be within parameters. I'm talking about what happens beyond that.

And I'm telling you the docu didn't cover their quality, possibly for proprietary reasons. Below is a quote from their website which was posted earlier: As you know, we invest significant time and effort to ensure that our products are Best-in-Class in terms of quality, performance and consistency. As such, in the rare event one of our products fails to meet USGA requirements for size, weight, velocity or any other conformance criteria we destroy rather than market such products. How do they know size, weight, velocity or other conformance criteria if they don't have a robust quality program in place?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How do they know size, weight, velocity or other conformance criteria if they don't have a robust quality program in place?

Because once they get to the production stage its a factory with a concrete floor and a whole lot of accurately calibrated machines.

It's mass production on a grand scale.

Of course they have quality control - it's just not as sexy looking as what you might see on CSI. It's still robust.

And of course they throw out non conforming balls. Or ones with a bit of clogged paint ion them.

The pros get what you get, but they have been checked again.

How could you possibly have a mechanism where like items are differentiated so that the "best" elevated to a separate heap? It can't happen. Do you think there are bic pens that are better than te millions of others spat out in the millions? They're all the same. Flawed ones get kicked off the line.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Fair enough, I'm out.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• 1 month later...

Pros definitely have different versions of golf balls to choose from that are not available to the general public.  In fact, the ball Tiger plays has been designed specifically for him and is made only for him, and is not the same as what is sold in stores. Someone mentioned that some Titleist guys prefer an older version of the Pro V, which is true, and Titleist continues to manufacture these models for those players.

But they also make different versions of the Pro V1 and Pro V1x for tour use that most people don't know exist, just like the ones the OP asked about.  As of June 4th, there are roughly 19 versions of the Pro V1 and Pro V1x on the USGA conforming list.  I just did a quick count, so it could be +/- 1.  These all have different characteristics from the stock production versions. If anyone remembers, years ago there were 3 versions available at the retail level...Pro V1, Pro V1x and Pro V1* (star), but after a short time they eliminated the star because they felt 3 models were confusing consumers and 2 would be enough of a selection.

The markings on the side stamp are the way to tell which version a ball is.  Information on how it's different though can be difficult to find. Here are just 3 examples of Pro V1x variants that are on the USGA's conforming list:

Typically the boxes are not printed with the usual graphics...they are plain white, similar to this:

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

• Administrator

Pros definitely have different versions of golf balls to choose from that are not available to the general public.  In fact, the ball Tiger plays has been designed specifically for him and is made only for him, and is not the same as what is sold in stores.

Though the rest of your info is correct, I think Tiger's been using a production ball for quite some time now. I think he only ever used a "special" version of the ball the first few years Nike made golf balls.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Pros definitely have different versions of golf balls to choose from that are not available to the general public.  In fact, the ball Tiger plays has been designed specifically for him and is made only for him, and is not the same as what is sold in stores. Someone mentioned that some Titleist guys prefer an older version of the Pro V, which is true, and Titleist continues to manufacture these models for those players.

But they also make different versions of the Pro V1 and Pro V1x for tour use that most people don't know exist, just like the ones the OP asked about.  As of June 4th, there are roughly 19 versions of the Pro V1 and Pro V1x on the USGA conforming list.  I just did a quick count, so it could be +/- 1.  These all have different characteristics from the stock production versions. If anyone remembers, years ago there were 3 versions available at the retail level...Pro V1, Pro V1x and Pro V1* (star), but after a short time they eliminated the star because they felt 3 models were confusing consumers and 2 would be enough of a selection.

The markings on the side stamp are the way to tell which version a ball is.  Information on how it's different though can be difficult to find. Here are just 3 examples of Pro V1x variants that are on the USGA's conforming list:

Typically the boxes are not printed with the usual graphics...they are plain white, similar to this:

These look like the same sleeves that they send you when you sign up to test equipment. I'm randomly selected at times to test their balls and submit my feedback via an online survey which gauges your perception of the ball's performance.

The last time I received a sleeve of balls like this, they were not marked at all with the exception of saying "Titleist", the ball number and the word "TEST" on the side. I know I'm off topic here, but I figured I'd share.

These look like the same sleeves that they send you when you sign up to test equipment. I'm randomly selected at times to test their balls and submit my feedback via an online survey which gauges your perception of the ball's performance.

The last time I received a sleeve of balls like this, they were not marked at all with the exception of saying "Titleist", the ball number and the word "TEST" on the side. I know I'm off topic here, but I figured I'd share.

That makes sense that they would use plain boxes for test/prototype balls too.  Printing the boxes costs money, and if you think about how many pros are on their staff, and how many dozens they provide to them each week, it would definitely add up.  I'm not sure about Titleist, but I know some other companies also use plain packaging for gloves that are given to tour players.

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Seems all production items that make it to market have good, better and best.  Why else would a MLB player buy 2 cases of bats (12 to a box) and select only 3-6 from the 24?  Some are better than others.  Same thing with drum sticks.  They all LOOK the same but a professional drummer would choose only the most weight proportionate and most balanced sticks from a lot.  Guitar strings are the same for me.  I can tell the difference between fresh made (new within 3 months) and a set that has been sitting on a shelf for a year.

I'll step up and say, Titleist MAY provide a different ball to PGA tour players. I don't know for sure, but wouldn't be surprised.  They may be just-made, (slightly softer cover maybe?) or maybe a specific production run or whatever.  Add a single gram of weight to a tour pro's driver and he probably feels it.  Could be the same with Pro V1s.  "No, bring me some FRESH balls!"

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

The markings on the side stamp are the way to tell which version a ball is.  Information on how it's different though can be difficult to find. Here are just 3 examples of Pro V1x variants that are on the USGA's conforming list:

Though the rest of your info is correct, I think Tiger's been using a production ball for quite some time now. I think he only ever used a "special" version of the ball the first few years Nike made golf balls.

I'm almost positive you're right iacas.  Although there isn't a date, I found this:

"Tiger Woods endorses "Nike Tour Accuracy" golf balls in TV and magazine ads, but he really plays with custom-made balls unavailable to everyday duffers, Nike acknowledged today after being sued in federal court. Nike Inc. said the balls Woods uses for his monster swings that produce 300-plus-yard drives have a slightly harder inner and outer core than the balls sold to the public. "Those two elements are slightly firmer than the marketed ball,'' Mike Kelly, marketing director for Nike Golf, told The Associated Press. Kelly said it's common practice in the golfing world to sell the public different products than what the pros really use."

This was probably the reason for changing over to a stock production ball.

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

That is correct, yep

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

So a guy I played with on Friday said that Titleist pays royalties to Bridgestone for using some of their intellectual property in the ball design.

Can anyone confirm or refute that?

(off to do an internet search)

edit:  that was quick -

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB119162032229150556

Bill - 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure it would be appropriate to mention this pros name, but he did win the PGA Championship.  I think he is on the level.  Or maybe he's just FOS!  : )

Or maybe he is just in possession of your leg. ;-)

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• 10 months later...
I think I have a sleeve of the balls remaining that you are referring to. It has a white box on the sleeve with a small black dot in front of the Pro V1. The same marking is on the side of the ball. Maybe this a higher compression ball. I have had trouble hitting this ball in the air with my driver and it seems to not go as far compared to the others in my group who I play with regularly. I am normally as long or longer off the tee as my playing partners but not with this ball. Any ideas about this ball?

Taylormade does this as well. Go to Ebay and, type in " New Taylormade Lethal golf balls". You will find boxes with the tour players names on them. Then read the Description of the golf ball. The dimple pattern is not the same as the normal lethal balls nor is the price.

Note: This thread is 3285 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!