IGNORED

Need a drill to help me keep my arms extended through my swing.

dragnframe
Note: This thread is 3606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hopefully I can word this right with out it being to confussing. I have got alot of help here before so I thought I would try and see what some of you might suggest. The best way I can describe my issue is, on my down swing after making contact with the ball I start to pull my left elbow up and back. Looks like I am making a chicken wing..lol Looking for tips or drills to help me extend through my swing. I know I am losing some distance by my chicken wing.lol Hope that makes sense thanks for any help .

Buy the "Orange Whip"

It is a very good training device for warm up and tempo training.

A routine exercise would be - use a 5 iron.

With a slow motion, start with a pendulum motion like the grandfather clock swinging weights.

Back and forth slowly, increase travel distance progressively.

Key is to build a 3/4 swing back and forth evenly and controlled.

Key thought is maintaining arm extension through the swing with hands traveling towards your target.

You should feel your right hand pushing your left should upward just after imaginary impact position.

Final results would be a smooth full swing without hitching your left shoulder allowing the left elbow to bend until completion

of the swing.

If you do not achieve correction of your habit, maybe consider a lesson.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Buy the "Orange Whip" It is a very good training device for warm up and tempo training. A routine exercise would be - use a 5 iron. With a slow motion, start with a pendulum motion like the grandfather clock swinging weights. Back and forth slowly, increase travel distance progressively. Key is to build a 3/4 swing back and forth evenly and controlled. Key thought is maintaining arm extension through the swing with hands traveling towards your target. You should feel your right hand pushing your left should upward just after imaginary impact position. Final results would be a smooth full swing without hitching your left shoulder allowing the left elbow to bend until completion of the swing. If you do not achieve correction of your habit, maybe consider a lesson.  Club Rat

Or he could save the hundred plus on the whip and put it to use on lessons.. This might not save money, but will save the time of experimenting on his own?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

take a landscape stake (a lot cheaper than a "golf" centric 'training device'). Stick in the ground on your left (assuming you're right handed). When you make your swing, DON'T hit the stake. Should develop a more "down the line" path. Exact placement would vary, but you get the idea.

Hopefully I can word this right with out it being to confussing. I have got alot of help here before so I thought I would try and see what some of you might suggest.

The best way I can describe my issue is, on my down swing after making contact with the ball I start to pull my left elbow up and back. Looks like I am making a chicken wing..lol Looking for tips or drills to help me extend through my swing. I know I am losing some distance by my chicken wing.lol Hope that makes sense thanks for any help .

That's funny because Mark Crossfield just did a video on this very thing probably less than 2 weeks ago.  Basically he said.. what does it matter what your arms do after you hit the ball.  The ball is gone.

Is he right?  I dunno, but he's certainly better at the game than me and his point seems pretty straightforward and logical.

• Administrator
That's funny because Mark Crossfield just did a video on this very thing probably less than 2 weeks ago.  Basically he said.. what does it matter what your arms do after you hit the ball.  The ball is gone.

What you do after impact likely started before impact (within reason).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What you do after impact likely started before impact (within reason).

So then the OP is probably barking up the wrong tree anyway.

• Administrator

So then the OP is probably barking up the wrong tree anyway.

Maybe. But it's tough to tell without video, or something. Feel ain't real and all that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I thought I lived in a chicken coup I used to chicken wing so much ... but have found the towel under the arm trick seems to help in practice.  I think the term or thought  is "stay connected"

Didn't realize I did it so much until I look at photos of my swing ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Is he right?  I dunno, but he's certainly better at the game than me and his point seems pretty straightforward and logical.

I guess mentally I would prefer to have a standard movement through the ball after contact.  In a physical sense, the ball is released from your club I guess it doesn't matter what you do with the club, but as a previous user said your downswing will have a huge effect on how your follow-through is maintained

Hopefully I can word this right with out it being to confussing. I have got alot of help here before so I thought I would try and see what some of you might suggest. The best way I can describe my issue is, on my down swing after making contact with the ball I start to pull my left elbow up and back. Looks like I am making a chicken wing..lol Looking for tips or drills to help me extend through my swing. I know I am losing some distance by my chicken wing.lol Hope that makes sense thanks for any help .

Is it really a problem, or are you concerned because it doesn't look right? Jamie Sadlowski chicken wings, so does Lee Westwood. Just saying that your chicken wing is probably as a result of another issue that may need to be addressed first. Video is your friend (and ours, so we can help you).

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!