IGNORED

11 Year Old Lucy Li Plays in 2014 US Women's Open

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Skip to 0:53 for start of 8 yo Lucy Li hitting 20 drivers in a row. This is amazing, but what is the purpose of this drill? What's it supposed to accomplish?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pretty impressive story.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Who's gonna watch 'kid golf'?  Tough enough to interested  watching  nubile women on the TV but kids on TV hitting golf balls means the end of the LPGA.

I'll tune in specifically to watch her - it's a great story.     Sounds like she's a pretty special kid

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Who's gonna watch 'kid golf'?  Tough enough to interested  watching  nubile women on the TV but kids on TV hitting golf balls means the end of the LPGA.

That's a pretty big leap. The LPGA is in really good shape financially, and have done really well with viewership the last couple of years. Also, let's be real: if a 11 year old guy qualified for the US Open, people would flock to watch it.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Skip to 0:53 for start of 8 yo Lucy Li hitting 20 drivers in a row. This is amazing, but what is the purpose of this drill? What's it supposed to accomplish?

Not sure if it was a drill she did regularly or just for the camera.  Seems like it would work on strength, fluidity and timing without over thinking or being too mechanical.  I would like to see Kevin Na try it.

Great story I'll be watching! Where do you go from here? Stay in school and through college, the Tour will always be there.

Or another way to look at it is that College will always be there.  I think Lydia Ko talked about staying in school but after two wins as an amateur she decided to turn pro.  If Li starts posting LPGA like Ko did (likely at least a few years off at best) and has the maturity, I think she would want to challenge herself and compete regularly with the best by turning pro.  I would advocate playing a limited enough schedule as a teen so that she can stay in touch with friends and do some fun kids things also.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Yeah I read somewhere that drill is for training fast twitch muscles or something like that. For speed.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Looks more like a tempo and balance drill. I wonder if these shots are accurate. I don't know that I find it super impressive, unless this was the first time she ever did it. It's kind of a parlour trick like bouncing your ball on your wedge and hitting it full swing. It appears she has amazing talent for real golf though.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I suppose this has more to do with hand coordination! as she is not setting up on the ball properly.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

• 4 weeks later...

Shot 78 today. That's pretty impressive. Looks like she had 3 bad holes. I was expecting her to shoot in the low 80's. I wonder how far she hits the ball. I'm guessing around 200. She's only 11! I hope we see more of her in the future. Seems like a good kid.

Merged into a pre-existing thread (which was slightly renamed).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

With 27 holes completed, she is holding her own at 85th. She may even make the cut!!!!! Her driving stat says she is averaging 210+ yards, probably the shortest in the field. Her rest of game must be stellar.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

an 11 year old that has qualified for the open is great, however an 11 year old living holding press conference, full time golf instruction, coaching, living in two areas of the country at different times of year, is not typical of 11 year old. and like several before her in golf and other sports will likely get burned out.

I happen to think it just too young and does not benefit the LPGA, except for some news

Note: This thread is 3591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!