IGNORED

2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

They made the fairways so that they're lush in middle and brown on the sides. In other words, if you hit your drive in the middle of the fairway, it's not going to roll out, but if you hit it close to the edges, it's going to bounce into the shit. Should make things interesting.

Sandy courses drain well, but they also are generally more consistent in their bounces because they are softer than courses with more dirt base. Sand isn't cohesive so it doesn't get really hard when it dries out. You really need to have a clayish layer, where the particles cling together when they dry out for it to get hard. So I would say it wont be as dramatic as you think.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They made the fairways so that they're lush in middle and brown on the sides. In other words, if you hit your drive in the middle of the fairway, it's not going to roll out, but if you hit it close to the edges, it's going to bounce into the shit. Should make things interesting.

On some holes, the "shit" is just sand. It's really no penalty. Other holes it's luck of the draw. You could end up in sand or up against a shrub. I don't know...everyone has their preferences. I'm just one who likes the traditional US Open rough like we had last year at Merion.

On some holes, the "shit" is just sand. It's really no penalty. Other holes it's luck of the draw. You could end up in sand or up against a shrub. I don't know...everyone has their preferences. I'm just one who likes the traditional US Open rough like we had last year at Merion.

You're probably not going to like next years venue either. Chamber's Bay isn't exactly a traditional US Open course. I don't care if the course has thick rough or no rough, I just want to see the winning score close to even par.

All the irrigation is straight down the middle, which is against the conventional wisdom of most golf courses these days. But it is an easier decision when you go straight from fairway to waste areas. Back to the Future.

From 1930. Are those tees sand?

Bill M

damn it - now my secret is out. My real name is Biff Tannen, and I know that Tiger wins his next major in 2016 (now you can place your bets....but don't tell anyone else, okay?)

Nice save B-)

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

You're probably not going to like next years venue either. Chamber's Bay isn't exactly a traditional US Open course.

I don't care if the course has thick rough or no rough, I just want to see the winning score close to even par.

I disagree, I don't mind higher scores. Cause I rather not see the USGA trick up a course by taking the greens unfair fast and way too hard! If the course plays easier, than it plays easier, but every one is still playing the same course. I do prefer staying under -10, but I don't agree with trying to protect par. That has hurt the USGA in the past.

I think this course will play a bit easier than others, but I think around -6 to -10 will win it. I think it will play easier on Thursday and Friday due to the rain coming in. Its going to be hot and dry out fast over the weekend. Sunday might be brutal.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

You're probably not going to like next years venue either. Chamber's Bay isn't exactly a traditional US Open course.

I don't care if the course has thick rough or no rough, I just want to see the winning score close to even par.

I actually like Chambers Bay. I'm looking forward to it. And I may end up liking Pinehurst. Pictures are one thing...seeing them play on it is another. My mind's open to change and accepting something new.

I agree with you that I hope the winning score is close to Even. That's what gives the US Open its "identity." I guess that's my worry is that they've eased up on the toughness of it by widening the fairways and taking away the rough. But I thought Merion was going to be easy last year and I was dead wrong, so I very well may be here as well. People love the US Open because of the challenge of it...myself included.

I actually like Chambers Bay. I'm looking forward to it. And I may end up liking Pinehurst. Pictures are one thing...seeing them play on it is another. My mind's open to change and accepting something new.

I agree with you that I hope the winning score is close to Even. That's what gives the US Open its "identity." I guess that's my worry is that they've eased up on the toughness of it by widening the fairways and taking away the rough. But I thought Merion was going to be easy last year and I was dead wrong, so I very well may be here as well. People love the US Open because of the challenge of it...myself included.

I have found that most people say that the Masters is their favorite Major. There are different reasons for the preference, but I believe part of the allure is the chance for birdie binges on the back nine on Sunday. Hopefully keeping Mike Davis's affinity for penal rough out of the mix this year will make this more interesting. The greens complexes at Pinehurst will more than protect the sacred "par". I believe the greens at Merion would have done the same without all the narrowed fairways and penal rough.

Bill M

i am actually looking forward to this, hopefully its a great tournament.  i like the way it looks too.

Colin P.

I have found that most people say that the Masters is their favorite Major. There are different reasons for the preference, but I believe part of the allure is the chance for birdie binges on the back nine on Sunday. Hopefully keeping Mike Davis's affinity for penal rough out of the mix this year will make this more interesting. The greens complexes at Pinehurst will more than protect the sacred "par". I believe the greens at Merion would have done the same without all the narrowed fairways and penal rough.

I agree, that the US Open's identity is it being the toughest test in golf. I think the USGA has learned over the past decade what they can and can not do. I am not entirely sure widening the fairways helps out the golfers here. Those greens are going to be so nasty, it might be a false sense of security. You end up just bashing a drive, maybe it takes a bad kick or you end up on the wrong side of the fairway with no angle. With those greens, that could mean being 15 feet away or being 45 feet away for birdie or par. I like that there are a lot of options off the tee. Instead of every hole being long iron off the tee. I am sure the scores will not be high.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Weather could play a factor. Looks like heavy rain moving in Thursday could deluge the course. Heavy storms predicted during the day.

But I don't really have a favorite...I like the first 3 majors because they all have an identity to them....the PGA is really the only one without one. I love the Masters for its course and back 9 drama. I love the US Open because of the challenge to make pars. And I love the British because of the links style golf and the wind and weather that you typically get.

I do think "luck" is going to play a major factor this week. If you miss the fairway and go into the garbage stuff, you could end up with a perfect lie and clear shot to the green or end up against a shrubbery and can only chip it out to the fairway.

Weather could play a factor. Looks like heavy rain moving in Thursday could deluge the course. Heavy storms predicted during the day.

Could be a factor all week - according to wunderground.com

Players play, tough players win!

All the irrigation is straight down the middle, which is against the conventional wisdom of most golf courses these days. But it is an easier decision when you go straight from fairway to waste areas. Back to the Future.

From 1930. Are those tees sand?

From golf dot com

"The Greens Used to be Sand
Pinehurst No. 2 had sand greens from its inception in 1907, until 1935, when they were grassed in time to host the 1936 PGA Championship. Denny Shute won the then-match play format, defeating Jimmy Thompson 3 & 2. Shute also won the 1933 Open Championship at St. Andrews."

I would suspect that the tee boxes might have been sand as well?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Cabrera, afraid best days are behind him, too inconsistent this

Frankly, Angel's always awful during "regular" tournaments. He always seems to play well in at least one major a year, wouldn't be surprised if he played well this week

Riley

If anyone is interested in finding out more about Bill Coore, who with Ben Crenshaw, worked on the restoration of Pinehurst No. 2.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/75135/get-to-know-bill-coore

And since there is discussion on how the course will play...

Mark Williams interviews Ben Crenshaw about the Pinehurst restoration work he was apart of and which wil dominate the discussion at the U.S. Open(s).

Ben, waxing...

Charlie Price, the great writer, he’d say Pinehurst in his day was fairways, and the fairways were oases within sandy country. The wispy rye grass, pine needles and sand, the little tufts of ground, that’s what Pinehurst was.

It will be pot luck out (off the fairways). You can have a recoverable lie, or you can get a poor lie and have to chip out. It's all natural, though.

It will probably make you try a lot of shots that you wouldn’t have been able to. If you can put the club on the ball, you can try a lot of things. I think that’s going to be exciting for a lot of people and obviously different for a U.S. Open. I think that’s especially exciting because people who know Pinehurst and have played it forever know it’s one of the great second-shot golf courses in the world. How you maneuver your ball up onto those greens is a lot of playing Pinehurst, knowing when to try to get a ball a little bit closer and when to play away from a flagstick.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Ughhhhhh, back to back weeks of weather delays would be disheartening...especially with this being a major.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Can you say Bethpage 2009 all over again? Blech. Hate that forecast.

It would be disastrous for the women; they may not have an opportunity to play the course until next Wednesday if that forecast holds.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!