IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last night in league we were playing the back 9, which is the tougher, tighter 9 of the course.  I decided on most holes to leave my driver in the bag since I have been hitting it so short and so inconsistently.  I started off really well for me, bogey, double, bogey, double,TRIPLE, bogey.    Then the wheels completely came off, quintuple, quad, quad to finish it off.  I had 3 water balls, an OB and an unplayable lie(which I stupidly tried to play and cost me another stroke).  So what should have been a high 40's/ low 50's round turned into a high 50's round.

Take away 6 penalty strokes and one swing that I should not have made and my 59 turns into a 52.

I am going to continue to practice my driver but until it gets better I think I will continue my conservative approach and tee off with an iron in my quest to break 100(and 50) on a consistent basis.  I had 3 bad tee shots out of 9 holes: I hit a weak driver that went in a ditch,  shanked a 3 wood under a tree and the other was a 5 iron I pushed out of bounds(which if I would have aimed a little more away from OB it would not happened).

My Game Golf summary(I started on #16): http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pecos24/round/465641

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played my last round before my new semester at university starts. Was one of the best but toughest courses I have played thus far. Stats for the round: Score (Par 72): 105 (55/50) FIR: 4/14 (29%) GIR: 1/18 (6%) Putts: 38 (2.1 per hole) Putts per GIR: 2 Penalties: 3 Pars: 1 Bogeys: 10 Doubles: 1 Triples: 3 Quads: 3 Once again putting let me down, but the greens were very fast, which is like a complete opposite of the last 3 courses I played on. Also the fact that I changed putters could have made it worse (Changed from Taylormade Big Fontana to an Oddysey White Ice), need to train it in a bit more. My pitching and approaches were quite good, put a lot of shots on the green and had 2-putt bogeys. Did have a few blowups, just need to cut doen on these and I'll be in the 90s. It's all a matter of time. Will be taking a few weeks off playing now probably, but will be working on putting and also some strength and fitness work!

Driver: Cobra Amp Cell-S - 10.5°
Woods: Cobra F-Speed 3 Wood - 15.5°
Hybrids: Cobra Amp Cell 2/3 Hybrid - 16°-19°
Irons: Mizuno MX-15 - 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled - 52°/8°, Titleist Vokey SM4 - 54°/8°, Titleist Vokey Oil Can - 58°/8°
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1

Proud member of the "Breaking Bad Club"!

I just found this thread today and have only read the first and last page so forgive me if I am off topic.

I am right on the edge of being a 90's golfer instead of a 103 golfer. I cannot tell you how many 103's I have had. Recently I have a several rounds in the

high 90's I even shot a 91 one day when I was "in the zone". I still will shot an occasional 105 or 103.

I attribute my breaking out of the 100's to this site. I am better at putting and getting yardage with my irons even on not flush strikes. I still have

trouble with the driver some rounds I tee off with my hybrid for the entire round. My putting improved after reading the thread .

My ball striking improved by getting key #1 and getting into a fuller back swing. I am currently signed up with Evolvr and can see I have potential.

I have really improved at pitching and chipping. This was from reading Rod Bernard's book Get You Swing in Gear. I could not get the

technique.

Hope this helps.

Doug

I shot 48-51 today on my home course. I tried to play bogey golf for the most part, and didn't attempt any hero shots. It worked. I'm kind of pissed because my putting inside of six feet was very bad, as well as my sand shots. Ah well, I'm happy I did this in July and not the end of August.

Corey

I shot 48-51 today on my home course. I tried to play bogey golf for the most part, and didn't attempt any hero shots. It worked. I'm kind of pissed because my putting inside of six feet was very bad, as well as my sand shots. Ah well, I'm happy I did this in July and not the end of August.

Nice Corey!

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

What is really frustrating is to see hints of much better play. Many more par looks, getting greens in regulation, even the one decent  shot at a birdie not on a par three. Then to have it all come apart. My post mortem analysis is that because I was hitting them so far last time, I started swinging harder this time, which I don't think I need to do, I think it sort of crept in. Also I tried a couple of "hero shots" a couple in a row, and lost two balls in a row that way.

On the plus side, my irons are starting to play consistent lengths when I strike them solidly and hit them straight. They used to be a guessing game for me, even with the rangefinder.

That mindset still trips me up, too. I try to focus on a full tension-free turn, flowing through the ball, and 'staying down' through the ball (sometimes lift the chest trying to whip the club through and top it nicely).

Kevin

Congrats on breaking 100!  How were the nerves on the last few holes?  It seems like when ever I score well on the front nine I start thinking about my score instead of the shots I need to hit.  Once my focus switches from hitting the shot at hand to setting a new low score my game falls apart.

Driver: Cobra Fly Z Plus, Stock Stiff,  10.5
3 Wood: TaylorMade AeroBurner, Stock Stiff, 15.0
3 Hybrid: Nike Vapor Speed, Stock Stiff, 20.0
4 to GW: Mizuno JPX EZ, KBS Tour 120
54: Cleveland Tour Action, Standard Bounce
58: Nike VR Vx3x Grooves, Toe Sweep
Putter: Odyssey Versa
Grips: Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G
Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

"Golf is not a game of good shots.  It's a game of bad shots." - Ben Hogan

Congrats on breaking 100!  How were the nerves on the last few holes?  It seems like when ever I score well on the front nine I start thinking about my score instead of the shots I need to hit.  Once my focus switches from hitting the shot at hand to setting a new low score my game falls apart.

The nerves were fine until hole 18. That's the first time I looked at the scorecard on the back nine. I took a double on one of the final two par fives, but aside from that I had doubles and singles and a par, taking nothing more than a six until then. I topped my second shot on the final par five, then completely missed my first attempt out of the bunker near the green. I was more disappointed than nervous at that point. The key for me today was keeping a steady head. And not watching my shots after I hit them. More than once I glanced at the KYFHD written on my glove. It really paid off, too. Kept the same ball for 18 holes, and didn't lose any strokes to OB penalties. That's a first for me. I'm happy I broke the century mark for the first time this year. I'm not content, though. I want to eliminate the mistakes that cost me next time I play. And a damned birdie would be nice, too. I need to adjust my handicap on my profile now.

Corey

I was well on my way to a career round this weekend and then the wheels came off, all 4, all at once. :censored:

I shot a 44 on the front.  I was not striking the ball great but I stayed out of trouble and putted fairly well for me. No penalty strokes, no score worse than a double and a couple pars thrown in.

Starting with #10 my mild slice on my driver turned into a big banana slice, off into the trees it goes.  Tee up a second one, off into the trees it goes... third goes into the rough.(found the 2nd one and was able to play it)  Anyway I fought the slice the rest of the round along with a host of other bad swings.  The other thing that cost me was not playing this course before, on the back there were 2 or 3 holes where the green was well up hill from the bottom of the fairway.  I am not used to playing those kinds of holes.  I took an extra club but I should have been 2 or 3 clubs more than usual.  I left a lot of approaches short.  Two lost balls and several bad swings later I ended up shooting a 61 on the back for a 105(103 ESC).  I was pretty bummed when I finished that round! :cry:

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pecos24/round/488917

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Shot a 108 on Sunday, I was 42 through the front 8, and I realized that unless I blow up the 9th hole I'll be < 50 on the front and well on my way to finally getting a round under 100, so of course I destroyed it. (Duck hooked the drive, tried to pitch it back onto the fairway and thinned it into the lateral hazard on the far side of the fairway, took my drop and then hit right into the green side bunker.  Overshot the green by a good way out of the bunker, hit a fat chip shot trying to get back that didn't make it to the green, had to chip again, and then 2 putt for a nice 51 on the front nine)

The bad hook stuck with me for the back nine, and I have no chance to play well when my second shots are always from the rough, or outright lost.

And then of course, after the round, I went to the range to work on the driver hooking, and it was magically gone.

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

I was well on my way to a career round this weekend and then the wheels came off, all 4, all at once.:censored:   I shot a 44 on the front.  I was not striking the ball great but I stayed out of trouble and putted fairly well for me. No penalty strokes, no score worse than a double and a couple pars thrown in. Starting with #10 my mild slice on my driver turned into a big banana slice, off into the trees it goes.  Tee up a second one, off into the trees it goes... third goes into the rough.(found the 2nd one and was able to play it)  Anyway I fought the slice the rest of the round along with a host of other bad swings.  The other thing that cost me was not playing this course before, on the back there were 2 or 3 holes where the green was well up hill from the bottom of the fairway.  I am not used to playing those kinds of holes.  I took an extra club but I should have been 2 or 3 clubs more than usual.  I left a lot of approaches short.  Two lost balls and several bad swings later I ended up shooting a 61 on the back for a 105(103 ESC).  I was pretty bummed when I finished that round! :cry:

[quote name="Cupcakus" url="/t/74913/breaking-bad-club-a-thread-for-golfers-trying-to-break-100/810_30#post_1175865"]Shot a 108 on Sunday, I was 42 through the front 8, and I realized that unless I blow up the 9th hole I'll be < 50 on the front and well on my way to finally getting a round under 100, so of course I destroyed it. (Duck hooked the drive, tried to pitch it back onto the fairway and thinned it into the lateral hazard on the far side of the fairway, took my drop and then hit right into the green side bunker.  Overshot the green by a good way out of the bunker, hit a fat chip shot trying to get back that didn't make it to the green, had to chip again, and then 2 putt for a nice 51 on the front nine) The bad hook stuck with me for the back nine, and I have no chance to play well when my second shots are always from the rough, or outright lost. And then of course, after the round, I went to the range to work on the driver hooking, and it was magically gone. [/quote] I hear you both on the wheels coming off ... I am discovering the wheels coming off and abandoning Keys 1 and 2 are my culprits Key 1 Steady head ... I just have to see where I am going to hit the ball ... thus I am thin or fat with my head moving ... Key 2 Weight Forward ... I tend to "hold back" a little because I am being careful not to hit a bad ... and I hear Dr Phil in my head "yea how is that working for you" Keep after it, and good luck!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I am right with you guys. Had a 107 today. I do not like to look at my score for the front nine because If I see it is good I seem to blow up on the back nine.

I have been working on getting key #2 and today I hit some good ones but my old habits still keep creeping in.

Keep at it and don't give up. Still had fun with my friends and that is what a game is for.

Doug

I shot an average 107 today (51-56). Felt like I was getting warmed up good after the front nine, and rattled off three of four bogeys on the first four holes with a double tossed in, then proceeded to completely shit the bed on the last five. Topping the ball, trying to watch my shots, and just downright stinking the joint up. I lost my first ball on hole 14, then hit another directly into the water. On the plus side, my league team had a fantastic night. I stuck a wicked shot on a 180 yard par 3 within three feet ( which hopefully holds up as KP next week) and nailed a 75 foot shot to three feet again on our last hole. Then I had chicken wings, so everything is good in my mind.

Corey

Hey all,  I just joined today and found this topic.

I just moved to Florida a couple months ago and went from playing 2-3 times/year back in Ohio to already playing 10 rounds in the 3 months I've been in Florida.  My game has progressively gotten worst since I've been here, with one round under 100.  This past weekend, I shot a 119 for one of the worst rounds of my life.  It seems like once I am within 100 yards of the green, the strokes grow exponentially.  For instance, on one 320 yard par 4, I drove the ball perfectly....260 down the fairway.  My second shot, I shanked straight right.  3rd shot, I duffed it 20 yards.  4th shot, 20 yards over the green.  5th shot finally got me on the edge of the green and then an awesome 3 putt to finish for an 8.  Mentally, I was done after that hole.  I decided this week to breakdown my sync and figure out what is wrong, so this begins my journey to get back under 100.

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

Hey all,  I just joined today and found this topic.

I just moved to Florida a couple months ago and went from playing 2-3 times/year back in Ohio to already playing 10 rounds in the 3 months I've been in Florida.  My game has progressively gotten worst since I've been here, with one round under 100.  This past weekend, I shot a 119 for one of the worst rounds of my life.  It seems like once I am within 100 yards of the green, the strokes grow exponentially.  For instance, on one 320 yard par 4, I drove the ball perfectly....260 down the fairway.  My second shot, I shanked straight right.  3rd shot, I duffed it 20 yards.  4th shot, 20 yards over the green.  5th shot finally got me on the edge of the green and then an awesome 3 putt to finish for an 8.  Mentally, I was done after that hole.  I decided this week to breakdown my sync and figure out what is wrong, so this begins my journey to get back under 100.

Hey @oudrees welcome to the "Breaking Bad" support group.  The 1st step is admitting you have a problem... :-D

Seriously though, have you made an entry in the Member Swings forum? http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings There are several people that are willing to help out with swing issues.  I have to admit I have not taken full advantage of it but I plan on utilizing it more in the future.

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Last night was the first time I ever recorded myself.  I watched them today and will post to Youtube and make a topic when I head home at lunch today.  Hopefully I can get some feedback before going back to the range tonight.  :)

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

I have thrown another batch of rounds at this elusive barrier.  They are a mix of walking nine and riding 18.  The rounds are a 51, 52, 115 (54/61) new course-should have quit first hole-flu bug put me down after it was over, 117 trying out some swing things, still trying the swing things for the rest - 47, 54, 46,  same day driver lesson and a 104 (48/56) and 105 (48/57).  I'm all swung out today!  The last round had me getting an eagle on a par 4 so I don't care if I put up a 130.  lol  It was part of one of my swing things.  I also had a driver lesson before the last two rounds so that learning curve is rearing its ugly head.  I cannot hit a fairway to save myself.   I seem to be hitting way too many second shots out from under trees or having to hit left handed to get the ball back in play.  There are basically no GIR's either.  Way too short off the tee and it really adds pressure when I'm out of my comfort zone with certain clubs.  Always playing catchup to scrounge out a hard earned bogey.   Sometimes the putter likes to throw some salt into the wound when I'm way too close to the hole to being doing crap like that.  My putting stats are much worse than what shows because I have a knack of hitting a wall to the front of the green.  For some reason, the ball just wants to come up short and either sits a yard or two off the fringe or on it.  It is very frustrating doing that way too many times in a round.  Wasted shots sure do add up in a hurry.  I don't have the talent to take shots off the board some it's like your trying to hold back the flood waters all the time.  Then it all comes crashing down with a major blowup hole or two.  I thought about not keeping score on a card but just using the Game Golf unit.  Maybe I would play better if I didn't know that I needed to make par on the par 5 ninth to get a 50.  That mindset has a 10 going up on the board with some nasty errant drive from hell.  (rant off)

I'm going in for physical therapy in a few hours and hopefully this leg thing is done and over with in a few weeks.  It is really messing things up when I swing.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I played 9 this past weekend with a friend.  Scored a whopping 61.  My back was tight for most of the round but I think I was just trying too hard to impress my friend.

Played 9 last night.  Got the Game Golf tags for the Android App and was trying that out.  I like the app and all, but it isn't very intuitive to use sometimes.  For example, I started the round and was tapping my clubs to my phone.  After 3 holes I look at the app and saw that it recorded nothing.  Didn't bother with it for a hole, then tried again... aha!  You must tap the back of the phone, not the screen.

So because of my futzing around with the app and tags it recorded a 607 yard hole-in-one.  Not quite as amazing as my first recorded drive, however:

So needless to say, I don't have a score from yesterday.  I was hitting the ball all right but my putting seems to be getting worse.  Maybe I'll have time this evening to work on it.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Note: This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!