IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

Do you brine it first? I always brine my turkeys (and pork loin, too).

+1 on brining. Just read an article on brining shrimp, which I've never tried. Think I'll try it out when I get home.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No. No need to at all. I thaw it, pat it dry, rub it, and smoke it.

Actually brining is how I thaw my turkey. It goes straight into the brine frozen. Not surprised it doesn't need it, though. A well cooked piece of meat really only needs some salt and pepper for seasoning. [quote name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/74957/food-thread/210#post_1077454"]+1 on brining. Just read an article on brining shrimp, which I've never tried. Think I'll try it out when I get home. [/quote]I've never brined my shrimp, either, but I do add aromatics to the poaching liquid when I make shrimp cocktail. In Chinese cuisine, we mostly stir-fry them whole and the shells flavor the sauce.

• Administrator

Not surprised it doesn't need it, though. A well cooked piece of meat really only needs some salt and pepper for seasoning.

Well like I said, I put a bunch of dry rub seasoning on it. Lots of stuff. Dark red. Brown sugar and a bunch of other stuff, including paprika, etc.

Isnt it funny how hot you can cook a bird and that skin really seperates the heat from the meat. I am toying with smoking a turkey I have defrosting in my small fridge. Its a fairly big bird, and I have no idea which wood I should use.

It would be interesting. I would guess applewood. Let me know what you come up with.

Well like I said, I put a bunch of dry rub seasoning on it. Lots of stuff. Dark red. Brown sugar and a bunch of other stuff, including paprika, etc.

Sounds good to me. My basic rub is 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 paprika, 1/2 salt and the I play around with various other flavours to round out the flavour depending on what I'm cooking.

Best ribs I ever smoked I let sit in the fridge overnight slathered in Beano's Sub Sandwich oil. Not sure why I thought of it but for a while I was smoking every weekend. Probably going to smoke some corned beef for T-Giving.

• Administrator

There's a show on National Geographic. It's actually like 9 shows or something. EAT: The History of Food or something.

I've seen two, and they've been good so far.

My buddy left a weber bullet smoker at my house. I've never used one, but I'm pretty handy in the kitchen and on the grill. Gonna smoke the turkey on Thursday. Any tips from smoker pros out there?

My buddy left a weber bullet smoker at my house. I've never used one, but I'm pretty handy in the kitchen and on the grill. Gonna smoke the turkey on Thursday. Any tips from smoker pros out there?

yeah word on turkeys is its best if they are less than 14 lbs and you are cooking to a temperature, say 175z180 in the thigh. Have some lump on hand rather than kingsford if you have to add some, and give yourself time, say 1 hour per 2lbs, and lengthen it if you think you are gonna use 250 temp or lower, which I would not do. I would use hickory, but I would burn it down so the wood gas is gone and its more coal style and you arent cooking in methane outgas. But other than that...have a good time and a plan B.

yeah word on turkeys is its best if they are less than 14 lbs and you are cooking to a temperature, say 175z180 in the thigh. Have some lump on hand rather than kingsford if you have to add some, and give yourself time, say 1 hour per 2lbs, and lengthen it if you think you are gonna use 250 temp or lower, which I would not do. I would use hickory, but I would burn it down so the wood gas is gone and its more coal style and you arent cooking in methane outgas. But other than that...have a good time and a plan B.

I usually just butcher the turkey down into parts. Take the wings and legs off. Then I can just cook them, pull out the chicken breast when it is done and let it rest while the legs and wings finish cooking. I do the same thing with chickens.

Well leaving soon for the holiday weekend and what is my least favorite food holiday. Turkey and all that comes with it is glorified assisted living cafeteria food IMO. Every year I attempt to convince the family to stray from "tradition" with no success. Tomorrow I will gag down the bird and leave early enough to make my reservation at the Brazilian Steakhouse for some martini's and succulent meats.

Well leaving soon for the holiday weekend and what is my least favorite food holiday. Turkey and all that comes with it is glorified assisted living cafeteria food IMO. Every year I attempt to convince the family to stray from "tradition" with no success. Tomorrow I will gag down the bird and leave early enough to make my reservation at the Brazilian Steakhouse for some martini's and succulent meats.

Agreed which is why I decided to smoke the bird this year. At least I can have some fun cooking, even if the finished meal is just whatever. My wife insists on the traditional boring meal: mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, etc. I asked her if I could try something interesting with the stuffing, but she said no. She's making the stuffing. Meh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Agreed which is why I decided to smoke the bird this year. At least I can have some fun cooking, even if the finished meal is just whatever.

My wife insists on the traditional boring meal: mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, etc. I asked her if I could try something interesting with the stuffing, but she said no. She's making the stuffing. Meh.

I'm gonna try to get my wife to "smoke the bird" when she gets home. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I'm gonna try to get my wife to "smoke the bird" when she gets home. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

Whaddaya think I meant by "something interesting with the stuffing?"

:-P