IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

20 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

My Mom wants to know where your green vegetables are.

At the grocery store. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

At the grocery store. 

That’s where I keep mine, too! It’s like an owner of a painting lending it to a museum.

Good to meet another vegetable philanthropist.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

Hey! Can any of you recommend a knife that’s actually really sharp? Chef knife. Mostly for slicing tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, etc. I bought a Mad Shark knife from Amazon and am very disappointed in it. Out of the box it wasn’t bad but after a couple of tomato/onion sessions it was dull. I have one of those sharpeners that has the little stone grooves labeled ‘coarse’ and ‘ fine’. This didn’t seem to help. Any suggestions?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Hey! Can any of you recommend a knife that’s actually really sharp?

A sharpened one. 

In terms of holding an edge, Japanese steel is harder than German steel. So, it holds an edge longer. Japanese knives tend to have steeper edge angles, and slice better, but they might chip if you hit anything hard like bone. Cabron Steel holds an edge longer than stainless steel because it is harder, but it needs to be taken care of because it can rust. 

I think if you go with any of the of the following brands you would be OK. The sharpness of the blade is up to the user to maintain it. 

Wusthof
J.A. Henckels
MAC
Tojiro
Shun

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Santoku Knife - MAD SHARK Pro... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WYC86MC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

So is my sharpener a joke? I’m no knife expert but it seems odd this knife would be so dull after two cutting sessions of tomatoes onions only. I don’t cut any meat.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Santoku Knife - MAD SHARK Pro... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WYC86MC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

So is my sharpener a joke? I’m no knife expert but it seems odd this knife would be so dull after two cutting sessions of tomatoes onions only. I don’t cut any meat.

Honestly, that is probably a crap knife. Yes, a knife can become dull after a few uses. It depends on the knife, and what your cutting board is.

Invest in one of these, and use it before and after you use your knife.. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-choose-knife-honing-steel.html

Also, your sharpener could be bad as well. 

For me, something like this is just asking for trouble. 

https://www.amazon.com/PriorityChef-Sharpener-Straight-Serrated-Sharpens/dp/B00VQK6D3G/?tag=aboutcom02thespruceeats-20&ascsubtag=4110339|n6dfd6f8afa574bc2a313799e81bd95c515

The best economical knife is Victorinox. Its only $50, but the thing stays sharp for a good time, and it can easily be sharpened. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M5U1C2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=chowhound_articles-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B008M5U1C2&linkId=e3d9d35d931d830908303d3d4f8a88d0

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

39 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

A sharpened one. 

In terms of holding an edge, Japanese steel is harder than German steel. So, it holds an edge longer. Japanese knives tend to have steeper edge angles, and slice better, but they might chip if you hit anything hard like bone. Cabron Steel holds an edge longer than stainless steel because it is harder, but it needs to be taken care of because it can rust. 

I think if you go with any of the of the following brands you would be OK. The sharpness of the blade is up to the user to maintain it. 

Wusthof
J.A. Henckels
MAC
Tojiro
Shun

MAC knives are great. Stamped blade so they're lightweight and easy to work with, and really, really, really sharp.

Misono, Misen, and Made-in also make nice knives. Misen and Made-in are DTC-type brands, so they're more budget friendly. Misono is quite expensive.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Are you looking for another incident that will keep you out of golf for a year?

A sharp knife is a safe knife. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

37 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The best economical knife is Victorinox.

My wife is a notorious knife abuser - we have several Victorinox knives for our common daily use. They're sharp and ergonomic, but when she decides to do something like open a can with a paring knife I don't have to cringe. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Honestly, that is probably a crap knife. Yes, a knife can become dull after a few uses. It depends on the knife, and what your cutting board is.

Invest in one of these, and use it before and after you use your knife.. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-choose-knife-honing-steel.html

Also, your sharpener could be bad as well. 

For me, something like this is just asking for trouble. 

https://www.amazon.com/PriorityChef-Sharpener-Straight-Serrated-Sharpens/dp/B00VQK6D3G/?tag=aboutcom02thespruceeats-20&ascsubtag=4110339|n6dfd6f8afa574bc2a313799e81bd95c515

The best economical knife is Victorinox. Its only $50, but the thing stays sharp for a good time, and it can easily be sharpened. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M5U1C2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=chowhound_articles-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B008M5U1C2&linkId=e3d9d35d931d830908303d3d4f8a88d0

Thanks Matt. Think I’ll go with the Victorinox. Sorry but can you recommend a sharpener? In have a honing rod.

7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Thanks Matt. Think I’ll go with the Victorinox. Sorry but can you recommend a sharpener? In have a honing rod.

The best knife sharpener is getting good at using sharpenning stones. Check Victorinox website, they might have some sort of sharpening services. Check local near you. There is a guy near me who will sharpen knives for like $10-$15 a knife. That includs taking nicks out. If you use a good honing rod, then you don't need to sharpen your knives that often. I also recommend getting a wood cutting board. Edge grain is the best for not dulling a knife. Stay away from plastic or glass cutting board. 

I would google sharpener reviews. I would probably go with a moderately priced one. I would stay away from anything that is cheap or marked as budget. I tried one of those on a knife before and it took chunks out of the knife. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Hey! Can any of you recommend a knife that’s actually really sharp? Chef knife. Mostly for slicing tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, etc. I bought a Mad Shark knife from Amazon and am very disappointed in it. Out of the box it wasn’t bad but after a couple of tomato/onion sessions it was dull. I have one of those sharpeners that has the little stone grooves labeled ‘coarse’ and ‘ fine’. This didn’t seem to help. Any suggestions?

I have Wustoff knives but got tired of crappy sharpeners. So I got this one.

KO-Hero.jpg

The Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife and Tool Sharpener expands on the best-selling Original Knife and Tool Sharpener with more power, more flexibility, and more control as specified...

I can sharpen tools with it too and things like lawnmower blades. Works really well and I found it easier to use than the drag through kind. I also have diamond stones, but getting the angle right was a challenge.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

like lawnmower blades.

Some people call it a Keizer blade...

image.gif.bfa16b1c7b63a16e71718af23f899f7e.gif

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Some people call it a Keizer blade...

image.gif.bfa16b1c7b63a16e71718af23f899f7e.gif

Lol! I do recommend that sharpener over the diamond stones. Much easier to use.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The best knife sharpener is getting good at using sharpenning stones. Check Victorinox website, they might have some sort of sharpening services. Check local near you. There is a guy near me who will sharpen knives for like $10-$15 a knife. That includs taking nicks out. If you use a good honing rod, then you don't need to sharpen your knives that often. I also recommend getting a wood cutting board. Edge grain is the best for not dulling a knife. Stay away from plastic or glass cutting board. 

I would google sharpener reviews. I would probably go with a moderately priced one. I would stay away from anything that is cheap or marked as budget. I tried one of those on a knife before and it took chunks out of the knife. 

Ok thanks. I only use a really nice wooden cutting board. It’s a Legnoart made in Italy. Damn solid too.