iacas

"Lowest Score Wins" by Barzeski and Wedzik

764 posts / 136413 viewsLast Reply

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Thank you. Yes, 300 yards every time.

Before I read the twitter feed I was going to write “I’m surprised anyone who regularly plays golf would choose no 3 putts over 300 yard drives.”

Then seeing how many people replied no 3 putts I think overestimating the intelligence of a typical golfer.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

Before I read the twitter feed I was going to write “I’m surprised anyone who regularly plays golf would choose no 3 putts over 300 yard drives.”

Then seeing how many people replied no 3 putts I think overestimating the intelligence of a typical golfer.

Or underestimating the putting skill of a typical golfer. How many 3-putts do people get (i.e., how many strokes do they think they would they save)?

Thinking about it for a minute, I recalled that Arccos has that in their database. Not sure how accurate it is, but they report 3+ putts:

22% for a 20 hcp

18% for 15 hcp 

15% for 10 hcp

11% for 5 hcp 

7% for scratch 

3% tour

Edited by Missouri Swede

22 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Or underestimating the putting skill of a typical golfer. How many 3-putts do people get (i.e., how many strokes do they think they would they save)?

Thinking about it for a minute, I recalled that Arccos has that in their database. Not sure how accurate it is, but they report 3+ putts:

22% for a 20 hcp

18% for 15 hcp 

15% for 10 hcp

11% for 5 hcp 

7% for scratch 

3% tour

Could be, but it also feels like people just parroting “putt for dough” dogma.

Those numbers seem accurate - I’m around 15 hdcp and I probably 3-putt 2-3 times a round. But overall I average ~33 putts per round, so I don’t think I lose a ton of strokes putting compared to my skill level (I don’t actually know how my putting stacks up against a typical 15 hdcp). I do know that I lose strokes off the tee.  A 300 yard drive at the course lengths I play basically guarantees no more than a 8-iron approach to most par-4, and every par-5 is reachable. So it still seems obvious (to me at least) that guaranteed 300 yard drive, assuming on target, is more valuable for better scores than never having a 3-putt.

6 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Could be, but it also feels like people just parroting “putt for dough” dogma.

Those numbers seem accurate - I’m around 15 hdcp and I probably 3-putt 2-3 times a round. But overall I average ~33 putts per round, so I don’t think I lose a ton of strokes putting compared to my skill level (I don’t actually know how my putting stacks up against a typical 15 hdcp). I do know that I lose strokes off the tee.  A 300 yard drive at the course lengths I play basically guarantees no more than a 8-iron approach to most par-4, and every par-5 is reachable. So it still seems obvious (to me at least) that guaranteed 300 yard drive, assuming on target, is more valuable for better scores than never having a 3-putt.

I agree with you. 300 yards would save me 75 yards x 14 holes. 

Edited by Missouri Swede

My putting is certifiably awful -- I've had many rounds where I'd shoot 2-3 strokes lower if an average 25 handicapper could be my designated putter. 

I'd still take 300 yards every time.  

Eliminating 3-putts forever might save me 2-3 strokes in my worst rounds, possibly another if I give first putts more juice knowing I'm guaranteed to make the second.  300 yards every time vs my typical 200-215?  Even if my other clubs remaining at their current distances, I'd probably save 5-6 strokes per round -- on some holes at my home course, I'd be hitting wedges into the green instead of hybrids.  

(And I bet that last part alone eliminates one 3-putt bogey per round)

It's taken me 9 years and twice through LSW to figure out that at my level (200-210 driver, with roll) I can't carry 225. I know...seems stupid ...but you never know when you'll start making those shots you've never made. 

This year decided to learn how to lay up ...and...stop trying stupid shots after a bad shot.

Allowed me to break 90 on a par 72. 

Reducing doubles and triples every game, helps my score better than a birdie once a month

and most of my doubles and triples are due to not laying up and stupid shots after a bad shot

10 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

Reducing doubles and triples every game, helps my score better than a birdie once a month

That's one of the things people should learn about golf: good golf is about reducing your over-par holes, not about making more birdies.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

That's one of the things people should learn about golf: good golf is about reducing your over-par holes, not about making more birdies.

That has been my goal of late as well - there is a greater sense of accomplishment when you look at a card that has pars and bogies and not so many doubles, triples or worse.  Case in point - last round I played was a solid 90 (4 pars, 10 bogies, 4 doubles) on a par 72 course.  Best round ever and I directly attribute it to the skill sets taught in the LSR book.