IGNORED

Being tall an advantage?

Hardballs
Note: This thread is 2407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm just surprised the standard fitting charts don't reflect the bigger theoretical 'ideal' spread in club lengths for different WTF measurements.

It seems that because of the max length limitation, a really tall player who goes with longer irons will run into a 'ceiling' in terms of the average 'ideal' progressions in club length which potentially affects the distance gapping - though probably less so with driver (Anthony Kim).

I guess as long as the taller player isn't bending too much to sole the proportionally shorter club then they would seem to have more control of the same length lever than a shorter player and more potential to accelerate it well with their longer limbs and higher (relative to the acceleration of gravity) club position at the top.

I would guess that height would become a disadvantage in golf at some point but it's just a guess and somebody may come along and totally blow up that theory.

I also remember when guys that were 6' 9" didn't have the ball handling skills in basketball that some 6' 9" guys have today.

Since basketball players have been mentioned in this thread: It's not unusual for somebody to be world class in one sport and that to not translate very well to other sports. I saw an All-Pro defensive back playing softball one time and he was horrible. His throwing looked about like somebody trying to throw with their off hand and couldn't hit a lick... but he sure could fly down to first base after those little dribblers he was hitting!

I'm just surprised the standard fitting charts don't reflect the bigger theoretical 'ideal' spread in club lengths for different WTF measurements.

It seems that because of the max length limitation, a really tall player who goes with longer irons will run into a 'ceiling' in terms of the average 'ideal' progressions in club length which potentially affects the distance gapping - though probably less so with driver (Anthony Kim).

I guess as long as the taller player isn't bending too much to sole the proportionally shorter club then they would seem to have more control of the same length lever than a shorter player and more potential to accelerate it well with their longer limbs and higher (relative to the acceleration of gravity) club position at the top.

I think MS256 is saying that you can have a club that is up to the USGA limit of 48", and that any actual club length requirement does not need to fit neatly into the chart you showed.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am 6'11'' and can confirm that being taller doesn't mean you have an advantage. everybody thinks I should hammer that ball for miles with my height, but that's simply not the case although science says so. But without the right technic and accuracy at the ball, nothing happens. my irons have an extra 3 inch on them, which means my pitching wedge probably had the length of your 7 iron. this goes down to +1 inch for the driver though. its a damn hard game no matter which height

I am 6'11'' and can confirm that being taller doesn't mean you have an advantage. everybody thinks I should hammer that ball for miles with my height, but that's simply not the case although science says so. But without the right technic and accuracy at the ball, nothing happens.

my irons have an extra 3 inch on them, which means my pitching wedge probably had the length of your 7 iron. this goes down to +1 inch for the driver though.

its a damn hard game no matter which height

damn, 6'11"??  can you post a video?  i'd love to see that...

Colin P.

damn, 6'11"??  can you post a video?  i'd love to see that...

Not that outrageous, one of the people I spend rounds with is 6'10" (Although he says he's only 6'8",slouching of course).

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I am 6'11'' and can confirm that being taller doesn't mean you have an advantage. everybody thinks I should hammer that ball for miles with my height, but that's simply not the case although science says so. But without the right technic and accuracy at the ball, nothing happens. my irons have an extra 3 inch on them, which means my pitching wedge probably had the length of your 7 iron. this goes down to +1 inch for the driver though. its a damn hard game no matter which height

You're a very very tall guy. Makes my 6'3" seem positively stunted. My guess is that there comes a point at which being tall is actually a disadvantage, because the sheer size of the swing arc is so wide as to make it more likley that inaccuracies will creep in.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

You're a very very tall guy. Makes my 6'3" seem positively stunted.

My guess is that there comes a point at which being tall is actually a disadvantage, because the sheer size of the swing arc is so wide as to make it more likley that inaccuracies will creep in.

There is no real advantage or disadvantage to being tall. Plenty of long hitters on both ends (and the middle) of the height spectrum. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I'm tall. 6'. I played basketball, and before you ask, yes, I played b-ball in my youth.

My height gives me an advantage as far as distance, but the disadvantage is that the little errors multiply. The takeaway and downswing has to be more precise, and it takes more practice to get consistent center contact. I struggle with this.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

There is no real advantage or disadvantage to being tall. Plenty of long hitters on both ends (and the middle) of the height spectrum. ;-)

There's more to scoring than just hitting it long. My contention is that having very long limbs will make it more likely that inaccuracies creep in to what will be a very wide swing arc. In most sports one will find that the more compact guys are better co-ordinated. There are sports (basketball) where the advantages of freakish height outweighs the disadvantages of less precision, but they are few.

• Upvote 1

There's more to scoring than just hitting it long. My contention is that having very long limbs will make it more likely that inaccuracies creep in to what will be a very wide swing arc. In most sports one will find that the more compact guys are better co-ordinated. There are sports (basketball) where the advantages of freakish height outweighs the disadvantages of less precision, but they are few.

In baseball, Mark Mcguire is over 6'5" and is extremely coordinated.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

In baseball, Mark Mcguire is over 6'5" and is extremely coordinated.

Sure, these people exist. But they are rare even at 6'5", and 6'5" is scarcely an outlier. Our friend here is 6'11", which is exotically rare. And once one's levers are as long as that, the effect of any minor flaw in the swing will be magnified. Even if he's as well coordinated as the average 5'10" guy, him being (say) 5% out in his swing path is going to give rise to a bigger miss than the little guy making a similar percentage error.

I'm tall. 6'. I played basketball, and before you ask, yes, I played b-ball in my youth.

My height gives me an advantage as far as distance, but the disadvantage is that the little errors multiply. The takeaway and downswing has to be more precise, and it takes more practice to get consistent center contact. I struggle with this.

the flip side to this is that because you have a naturally longer swing arc you can put less effort into your swing and still be able to swing with power..i.e. your 75% swing is a shorter persons 100% swing allowing you to achieve effortless power/good contact and as you get better you have more potential power.

Size matters in just about every sport.  there is a reason that you don't see many professional athletes in any sport that are under 6' tall.  Golf however is one of the few sports where size does not give you a great advantage because the game is based around accuracy over power and the short/small guys can hit the ball far enough

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

Sure, these people exist. But they are rare even at 6'5", and 6'5" is scarcely an outlier. Our friend here is 6'11", which is exotically rare. And once one's levers are as long as that, the effect of any minor flaw in the swing will be magnified. Even if he's as well coordinated as the average 5'10" guy, him being (say) 5% out in his swing path is going to give rise to a bigger miss than the little guy making a similar percentage error.

My real point was that there are athletes of all sizes (and now I am adding that it's not just only in golf). A 6'11" golfer and a 5'5" professional basketball player are both pretty rare, but do exist. There is a good reason for this with the common denominator being talent .

Talent overrides any other attribute, including height.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

My real point was that there are athletes of all sizes (and now I am adding that it's not just only in golf). A 6'11" golfer and a 5'5" professional basketball player are both pretty rare, but do exist. There is a good reason for this with the common denominator being talent . Talent overrides any other attribute, including height.

Who in this thread has suggested that talent is unimportant? But carry on, by all means...

Who in this thread has suggested that talent is unimportant? But carry on, by all means...

Carry on with what???

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Your Wayward Son, perhaps??

LOL.

"Don't you cry no more."

Took me a second to get that..... :doh::-D

Note: This thread is 2407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!