IGNORED

TST Newport Cup 2015 Brainstorming Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Would you rather see…

• Each match contested for a single point (match play)?
    • Each match contested as a Nassau, with points available for the front, back, and total (all match play)?

LOL ... I could certainly go for an epic FIVE ROUND match!!!

If it's a war of attrition you want, it's a war of attrition you shall get!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 holes a day is a peace of cake! Are you guys carrying your bags or driving? But maybe we will play the cup in the morning and play an other 18 for fun in the afternoon for the more addicted guys like me and Jamo.

Ryder Cup has the following formats

Foursomes - Alternating Shot

Fourballs - Two Man Teams, each playing the hole, take the lowest score

Singles Matches

I was thinking, how about changing the Alternate Shot to a Shamble type alternate shot. Both players tee off, take the best ball, then play Alternate shot in. That way at least you are giving the teams two shots at putting the ball into a playable lie for the approach shot. Or you can change it totally to a 2 man team Scramble, instead of Alternate shot.

I do like the idea of some sort of Match Play format. I never played in a Match Play event before, and would like to have one round be singles Match Play.

Instead of 36 holes, you can always do 27 holes, and split the three main events into 9 hole matches. Just an idea.

Thursday

-Fly In

Friday

-Unknown Format (Foursomes or some variant) 9 holes

-Fourballs 9 holes

-Singles 9 holes

Saturday

-Unknown Format (Foursomes or some variant) 9 holes

-Fourballs 9 holes

-Singles 9 holes

Sunday

-Individual Skills Challenge or maybe another 18 holes of singles matches.

The Skills Challenge is something I remember from TV. PGA Tour does it in the off season.

The six mainstay skills -- Long Drive, Mid-Iron, Bunker Shot, Chip Shot, Trouble Shot and Short Iron -- will be followed by the "Reverse Scramble," representing the seventh and eighth skills. In the "Reverse Scramble," the four teams will be seeded according to prize money won in the first six skills. With one vs. four and two vs. three, the teams will play the 14th hole at The Breakers' Ocean Course. The two surviving teams will then compete in another one-hole "Reverse Scramble" for the weighted sum of $200,000 in prize money, enabling most pairs to remain in contention to the end.

Contrary to the traditional scramble format, the rules of the "Reverse Scramble" call for the opposing team to select which shot its rival twosome must play, adding a new dimension to the competition. The format is especially conducive to the ADT Skills Challenge TV production approach, which showcases the personalities of the players, all of whom are equipped with microphones throughout.

I think the "Reverse Scramble" is an interesting idea.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I like the idea of a shamble or reverse shamble where two teammates both hit the tee shot and then play in from there with their individual ball. That way everyone gets to hit all the shots, but you mix up the format a bit. An 18 hole match where the partners select which tee shot to use on the front nine and opponents select the tee shot on the second nine sounds fun. Would neutralize any advantage a team might get by pairing a bomber with a scrambler.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I currently sit at this:

• Mike and I are captains.
  • Two teams of six or eight. I don't know whether Mike or I will play.
  • Handicap index limit of about 10 or so? It's tough to play as a 3 (or whatever) against a 17.
  • Find a host course to have us out there for three days.
  • Play true Ryder Cup style matches: four balls, foursomes, and singles.
  • West coast the first time around, east coast the second time around, etc. The dividing line is roughly the Mississippi.

FWIW I have about two or three people in mind for my team.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I currently sit at this:

Mike and I are captains.

Two teams of six or eight. I don't know whether Mike or I will play.

Handicap index limit of about 10 or so? It's tough to play as a 3 (or whatever) against a 17.

Find a host course to have us out there for three days.

Play true Ryder Cup style matches: four balls, foursomes, and singles.

West coast the first time around, east coast the second time around, etc. The dividing line is roughly the Mississippi.

Looking forward to this! :dance:

Can't way to lay the smack down on those west coast guys!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Sounds good to me...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Handicap index limit of about 10 or so? It's tough to play as a 3 (or whatever) against a 17.

West coast the first time around, east coast the second time around, etc. The dividing line is roughly the Mississippi.

Why not play yourself? I think the rest of the team would like it if you and Mike would play to. About the handicap limit. I think the best thing to do is play without handicap (maybe I did not understand that correctly). So when you play against someone, no strokes given whatsoever. This means you need to play against someone of approximately the same strenght.

I currently sit at this:

Mike and I are captains.

Do you mean I would have to play off a 10 or I will have to get three strokes better my next Sept?  I was a 10.8 last year.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Looking forward to this! :dance:

Yep, this will be a blast!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• Administrator

Why not play yourself?

There are a few reasons. Namely that it's tough to organize things when you're out on the golf course playing.

About the handicap limit. I think the best thing to do is play without handicap (maybe I did not understand that correctly). So when you play against someone, no strokes given whatsoever. This means you need to play against someone of approximately the same strenght.

That would require too many gymnastics, and players would likely play against the same opponents all the time. In alternate shot, yes, we'll do what we can to minimize differences, but in all other forms, handicaps are going to come into play.

Do you mean I would have to play off a 10 or I will have to get three strokes better my next Sept?  I was a 10.8 last year.

A 13 is on the cusp. But we'll see.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 months later...
No modesty here:

HCP under 9

At least 5 rounds under 80

Competition goal is to promote and win at least 60% of the matches I play

Making the cut of the strokeplay and matchplay championship of my club

Play at least 5 official tournaments (besides the championships)

Play the TST Newport Cup 2015

Allready started training and will continue during the winter for goal number 3 (competition). Might even take some 5 keys lessons if my goals get out of reach.

I will go if I could play against @Phil McGleno @turtleback @ditchparrot19 @Golfingdad and if I am allowed lol.

Sure, I'd drive down, but not in October. There's no recreational activity on Earth that would keep me and my dogs away from the pheasants of northeastern Montana during that month.

John

• Administrator
Sure, I'd drive down, but not in October. There's no recreational activity on Earth that would keep me and my dogs away from the pheasants of northeastern Montana during that month.

It's in CA.

It's in CA.

It's still "down" for me – a considerable distance. This is quite a long state, latitudinally speaking, and I'm at the opposite end from where that shindig will be held. From an East Coast perspective, it'd be the equivalent of several states away.

John

From an East Coast perspective, it'd be the equivalent of several states away.

But not nearly as many states away as the East coasters are actually traveling to come to this. :-P

But not nearly as many states away as the East coasters are actually traveling to come to this.

That's a fact. But it certainly wouldn't be any "home game" for me where I was sleeping in my own bed.

John

Note: This thread is 3335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!