IGNORED

Tiger Woods Announces Return Date, Will Play At Congressional

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 3596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ah, right. Like the objectivity of the Tiger fanboys who believe he continues to be the world's best golfer despite all evidence to the contrary.

I don't care, really. I'm just amused by the spectacle of all these middle-aged men getting hard-ons for a middle-aged man with a bad back.

What evidence would you like?

He's won eight times in 2012-2013, including five times in 2013 when his back was starting to get bad.

He had a 68 scoring average in 2013 and 2014, ranking second both times.

He was 5th in total driving in 2012 and 17th in 2013.

He was 4th in birdie average in 2012 and 3rd in 2013.

I mean, there is literally mountains of statistics that support his being a continued superstar on the PGA Tour. What evidence do you have?

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Tiger hasn't hit 39 years old yet, how do you figure that's middle age?

Fairly easily, actually. "Middle age" isn't precisely defined, but if you search for most of the informed sources that attempt an age range, and then average the age at which "middle age" began, you're going to arrive at figure somewhere between 35 and 40.

For example, a general survey of British people as reported by the Daily Telegraph suggests that middle age commences at 35. The U.S. Census Bureau pegs the starting age for middle age from the age of 35 through to the very early 40s.

I'm 37. I don't pretend to be an athlete like Tiger, but I assure you that I am most definitely middle aged. His extreme physical fitness might defer his middle aged status for a year or two, but not too much more. He's pretty much a middle aged man.

What this means in sporting performance terms is slightly debatable - but only slightly. Most world class soccer players are done and dusted by 35; a note from the English (cricket) perspective - Geoff Boycott was still opening the batting for Yorkshire at 45 - but he was highly unusual and his England test career was long in the rear-view mirror by that age; and, of course, as is widely discussed and ruminated on here in the Tiger/Jack thread, Jack added #18 in 1986 - having won no majors since the age of 40, and winning no more after the age of 46.

Once you're in your 40s, you're middle aged, through and through.

All of which is by the by. I'm a middle aged man and I wish to God I could still hit a golf ball with the same ease, consistency, and with the same lack of wear and tear on my body as was the case in, say, 1997. I reckon most middle aged people share a similar feeling - even athletes par excellence like Tiger Woods.

Just remember, Chaucer said it best back in the 1300s: "For thogh we slepe or wake, or rome, or ryde; Ay fleeth the tyme; it nil man abyde," -

...or, in the contemporary idiom, "Time and tide wait for no man."

Not even Tiger Woods.

Ah, right. Like the objectivity of the Tiger fanboys who believe he continues to be the world's best golfer despite all evidence to the contrary.

I don't care, really. I'm just amused by the spectacle of all these middle-aged men getting hard-ons for a middle-aged man with a bad back.

See you just completely lost the argument.  As soon as you have to resort to calling names you already lost.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Tiger will play Thursday and maybe Friday and then withdrawal. Take it to the bank, he's out just testing his back and swing in a competitive surrounding. And when he withdrawls watch the Newswires light up.

always surprised at the amount of man love for Tiger.   Sure, I'd like to see him return to form ... I've just never rooted for anyone that hard.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Tiger Woods or not. I pretty much always root for a guy coming back from back surgery. It gives those hope who've had it that they can recoup to be close to or all of their former selves. We take for granted our health until it's not there.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

always surprised at the amount of man love for Tiger.   Sure, I'd like to see him return to form ... I've just never rooted for anyone that hard.

Yup, I don't get it, I attribute it to Bromamce.

• Administrator

Golfers have back and knee issues…

Including Rory McIlroy:

2014: http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/5/30/5764222/rory-mcilroy-injury-battling-tiger-woods-back-knee-pain-memorial-tournament-2014

2010: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/feb/08/rory-mcilroy-back-injury

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would consider Tiger's back and knees post middle age. And Father Time keeps ticking away...

Might wanna think before you post. If having back problems makes you post middle-age, might want to tell that to Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, Graham DeLaet, Louis Oosthuizen and about 40 or 50 other young players who have missed time because of back issues.

I get a kick out of the media saying they don't understand why he's coming back now. The guy wants to win the Open Championship and in order to win it, he needs to get some competitive rounds under his belt and this is really the only tourney that he would consider entering before the Open. He never plays Greenbrier and never plays the week before a major. And Royal Liverpool is a course where you need to make a lot of birdies, so if you're not swinging it well, you have no chance. It's the easiest course in the Open rotunda.

Nobody knows Tiger's back problems better than Tiger himself, if he feels ready then he's ready. Returning to competitive golf within a 12 week window from back surgery is pushing the limit. But hey that's Tiger! And Congressional's celebration of U.S. Military has always captured Tiger's heart.

Everyone benefits from Tiger coming back, even if he's not close to 100%.   US Open was a snooze fest and golf overall has been out of the major sports headlines since Tiger announced his surgery.  It will be interesting to see how good he looks and how long it takes for all the Tiger playing in the Ryder Cup talk to heat up.

Joe Paradiso

History says that St Andrews is the easiest. In the last 3 Opens there the winners are a combined 49 under.

Liverpool doesn't have much recent history (only one British since 1967). But the one time they held it there Tiger won at 18-under par and 47 players finished under par. And the scorecard for this British is identical with 4 par-5s all very reachable. Of course, weather always throws a wrench into everything as does how high they build the rough. Even St. Andrews has had Opens where players struggled finishing under par if the wind blew hard (i.e. 1995). But if the weather is good, look for players like Rory to eat up the par-5s on this course. The one thing I remember about Liverpool from the last British is they set the course up for all the big names to contend. It was a star-studded leaderboard in '06. It's a ball strikers paradise. If you like scoring, this is your Open.

Liverpool doesn't have much recent history (only one British since 1967). But the one time they held it there Tiger won at 18-under par and 47 players finished under par. And the scorecard for this British is identical with 4 par-5s all very reachable. Of course, weather always throws a wrench into everything as does how high they build the rough. Even St. Andrews has had Opens where players struggled finishing under par if the wind blew hard (i.e. 1995). But if the weather is good, look for players like Rory to eat up the par-5s on this course. The one thing I remember about Liverpool from the last British is they set the course up for all the big names to contend. It was a star-studded leaderboard in '06. It's a ball strikers paradise. If you like scoring, this is your Open.

The only thing I know about Hoylake is De Vicenzo won & Tiger won by hitting iron off every tee. 2006 was Dimarco trying to chase down Tiger right?

Riley

Tiger was to golf like Michael Schumacher was to formula 1 racing...

Though by now, it's really time for Tiger to rise and shine, and grab those extra major wins that he needs (to match or exceed Nicklaus's record).

IN WHAT WAY was US Open a "snoozefest"? (implying that us open was boring to watch)

You only say that because a European golfer wins the American title  with much better golf than any Americans played that day... hard to swallow but it was to be...

;-)

Note: This thread is 3596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!