IGNORED

New ? Golf gadget

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3550 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Saw a video some pro ? guy hitting wedges with commentator on the sidelines. Pro had a device on his belt and was asked about it. Pro said that he takes the small hand device and taps it on the grip  butt end just after his shot.  Then he walks to his ball, wherever, and taps again. Presto, distance in yards.

Anyone know the name or have more info on this device?

Yep that's called gamegolf.

And only $249.  Yet another way to lighten the golfer's load.... empty his wallet with another unnecessary gadget.  All it does is add a little convenience to what he can already do with his GPS and small notebook.  This isn't something that a player needs to do every round unless he is an absolute stat freak.  You can get a nice GPS for that price which will do a lot more than just track your distances.

It will probably sell just because of the current obsession with length that seems to be hammered at us in every club and ball ad, but I'd rather play golf than have to worry about remembering to bump my belt for every shot.  I know my distances well enough to choose my clubs without electronic assistance, and I have no interest in "sharing" with my friends and family, most of whom couldn't give a hoot about how far I hit my 7 iron on the 8th hole today. :roll:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't get it just because I wouldn't want to mess with it. But I wouldn't mind using it for a few rounds just to see where I can pick up some strokes, it's probably a good way to look at your rounds and see where you can improve.

And only $249.  Yet another way to lighten the golfer's load.... empty his wallet with another unnecessary gadget.  All it does is add a little convenience to what he can already do with his GPS and small notebook.  This isn't something that a player needs to do every round unless he is an absolute stat freak.  You can get a nice GPS for that price which will do a lot more than just track your distances.

It will probably sell just because of the current obsession with length that seems to be hammered at us in every club and ball ad, but I'd rather play golf than have to worry about remembering to bump my belt for every shot.  I know my distances well enough to choose my clubs without electronic assistance, and I have no interest in "sharing" with my friends and family, most of whom couldn't give a hoot about how far I hit my 7 iron on the 8th hole today.

It's not in the same category as a GPS, its not meant to help you with your round on the course its to break the round down after.  And club distance is only one thing it tracks.  I have on and could not be happier with it.  Knowing my fairways, GIR, putts per round, dispersion on approach shots and more without having to take more then half a second between shots to tap my club to my side.

Yes you can do all this with a notebook but really who wouldnt want everything wrapped up in one easy to use beltclip.

You can also do without any GPS by finding yardage markers and counting your steps, just cause its possible doesnt mean its the most efficient way

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It will probably sell just because of the current obsession with length that seems to be hammered at us in every club and ball ad, but I'd rather play golf than have to worry about remembering to bump my belt for every shot.  I know my distances well enough to choose my clubs without electronic assistance, and I have no interest in "sharing" with my friends and family, most of whom couldn't give a hoot about how far I hit my 7 iron on the 8th hole today.

It's not in the same category as a GPS, its not meant to help you with your round on the course its to break the round down after.  And club distance is only one thing it tracks.  I have on and could not be happier with it.  Knowing my fairways, GIR, putts per round, dispersion on approach shots and more without having to take more then half a second between shots to tap my club to my side.

Yes you can do all this with a notebook but really who wouldnt want everything wrapped up in one easy to use beltclip.

You can also do without any GPS by finding yardage markers and counting your steps, just cause its possible doesnt mean its the most efficient way

I have no issue with the info, just with the $250 to obtain it.  No way it's worth that to me.  That's 5+ rounds of golf with cart on my home course.  I can gather a lot of information in 5 rounds just using the measurement feature on my GPS, and have a great time doing so.  I don't spend hours at home analyzing my game anyway - I play for personal enjoyment, and gathering an excessive amount of stats has never added to my pleasure.

Rick

• Administrator
I have no issue with the info, just with the $250 to obtain it.  No way it's worth that to me.  That's 5+ rounds of golf with cart on my home course.  I can gather a lot of information in 5 rounds just using the measurement feature on my GPS, and have a great time doing so.  I don't spend hours at home analyzing my game anyway - I play for personal enjoyment, and gathering an excessive amount of stats has never added to my pleasure.

Rich, you always seem to get yourself into trouble on these "worth it" threads. :-) Admittedly you're doing a better job lately of saying "to you," but you still seem to take someone disagreeing with you about it's worth to them as a disagreement you can resolve.

You got some small facts wrong, and were corrected. Game Golf does more than tell you the yardages, and many others get something out of tracking statistics, especially if it's as easy as tapping a club to your belt. You've been content for quite awhile to play golf, shoot 85 or 91 or whatever, and not really worry about improving. You hate practice, don't hit the range, etc. (I believe you've said all this.) So we get it - this device isn't for you. It would be a waste of $250 to you.

Why did you join the thread just to say basically "this device is dumb and not worth the money to me"?

Just trying to understand the motivations. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sorry Erik,  I was just astonished at the price for what I saw as a gimmick.  I'm out of it.

Rick

I think Fourputt and I suffer from the same issue ... Our parents lived through the depression ... I still have to finished everything on my plate (said in jest and not trying offend Fourputt) However, I am a golf equipment junkie... And this device actually looks really cool to me! Will researching more later. To the OP ... thanks for the post, you educated me a bit

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I think Fourputt and I suffer from the same issue ... Our parents lived through the depression ... I still have to finished everything on my plate (said in jest and not trying offend Fourputt) However, I am a golf equipment junkie... And this device actually looks really cool to me! Will researching more later. To the OP ... thanks for the post, you educated me a bit

It looks really cool to me as well, but I've got enough gadgets, and I just want to improve my game for now. Now if it was less than 250 I might give it a look.

I thought this little gadget sounded like a nice way to track your shots around the course myself. The path to improvement is knowing your weakness. I could take the one drive I pounded today and say that I drive the ball 260. This device would probably tell me that my average is more like 236. I have a good feel for my yardages, but I think this would a better number.

- Shane

It's not in the same category as a GPS, its not meant to help you with your round on the course its to break the round down after.  And club distance is only one thing it tracks.  I have on and could not be happier with it. Knowing my fairways, GIR, putts per round, dispersion on approach shots and more w ithout having to take more then half a second between shots to tap my club to my side.  Yes you can do all this with a notebook but really who wouldnt want everything wrapped up in one easy to use beltclip.  You can also do without any GPS by finding yardage markers and counting your steps, just cause its possible doesnt mean its the most efficient way

All that, but you don't know your handicap? ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

All that, but you don't know your handicap?

I'm keeping that to myself :8)

Looking back my post seemed more argumentative towards fourputt than I intended.  I really was just looking to give more info to anyone who read it as to what the device actually does since a lot of the things people have heard about it involve mainly yardages.

For me I like having all my stats presented to me on one page.  This is one the website looks like and some of the info it gives. http://www.gamegolf.com/player/gmac

Another thing I like is they are still working on more things to be added.  The device records your location and gamegolf can use that info for a number of things, only some of which are implemented now, they are working on new things too.  They just added the dispersion thing in last week showing how often you miss left or right or long/short

I like the idea of this device but it's cost is the limiting factor for me at the moment because it will likely be the sane numbers here in the UK with a £ sign in front! Excluding that though I like the idea of being able to get a graphical representation of your round super imposed over you golf clubs course. The potential for this type of device is pretty much unlimited. If I get over to the states for work anytime soon I might call in to a golfsmiths and be tempted by the great exchange rate at the moment! Regards Mailman

Mailman

If I wasn't already needing to save for a car, I'd be planning on purchasing this device. I honestly probably wouldn't wear it on my belt, I'd more likely clip it on a bag or something, but it seems really handy. The dispersion feature especially could be helpful, perhaps for when you're mapping Shot Zones? At any rate, it's a really cool device just because it means you don't have to do all the stat work yourself or input scorecard stats into an application like Golfshot to get your information. I wonder, is this thing accurate enough that it could eventually create a "map" showing you your putting percentages from different distances such as 5, 10, 15 feet and so on, as well as three-putt percentages from 40, 50, and 60 feet?

• Administrator

I'm keeping that to myself

Please supply it. It's requested of all who register… Thank you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I was just astonished at the price for what I saw as a gimmick.

When I first saw the price I thought it was a bargain and a good value for all that it's capable of doing.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

In my opinion I would be surprised if it is still marketed in two years from now.

I would rather spend the money on lessons with a pro and track the stats on my score card.

Note: This thread is 3550 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!