IGNORED

Concealed Carry on The Course

EZPZ
Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Something popped up in my head while thinking about this last night. One of the reasons for carrying a gun is to protect your family in case of hostile emergency. Now this emergency should be a life threatening emergency right? Because if it ain't life threatening you could turn in that way pretty quickly when you bring a gun into the situation. For any other hostile emergency where the situation is not directly life threatening dobson practice some sort of self defense? If not is a gun not more like a cheat code at self defense for the lazy people? And from those people that say they have it to protect your family how many of you know how to do proper first aid when the emergency is nowhere from being hostile but it's just the kids being clumsy again? Now my own self defense skills go as far as firewalls and a virusscanner en my first aid level is nothing more then knowing how to apply a patch really good. So I don't try to make accusations here I just am rally interested how far this protecting your family goes.

And that is an example of intelligent thinking....good question.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I never said anything about your parenting, but my index is legit. I don't think 10ish is anything special so your zing has no sting. I suck, at golf.

I never said it was you that said it. Like I said the handicap comment was my VERY dry sense of humor, nothing more. Just wanted to post a comment after you accused the OP of lying

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

One thing that I will add to the discussion is that when a person does carry, they gain a sense of hightened situational awareness, because we all know that the last thing we want to do is actually get into a situation and have to use it.     When I carry, I intentionally go out of my way to avoid situations or areas that I'm umcomfortable with, have a "bad feeling" about, or that just don't look right - it does make you think more about where you're going & what you're doing.     Granted, this isn't typically a concern on a golf course, I only carry on a rare occasion on more remote courses because of dogs and one bear encounter I've had ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Has anyone here ever killed anyone?

I haven't.

I've never orchestrated my family's exit from a burning house.

I've never injected my 5-year-old daughter, who has a severe peanut allergy, with epinephrin.

I've never dove into a frigid, swift-moving river in an attempt to save a family member.

They all fall under the same category: I'll do it if I have no other option.

• Upvote 1

John

Holy cow, 14 pages in 3 days... not bad...

I haven't carried on a course yet... but mainly for cosmetic reasons (bulky, can imagine I would be too aware of it while playing). And also out of consideration for other players who might get weirded out by that. But I see nothing wrong with it provided its legal.

Public courses in Philly can be strange... and like anywhere else in the city, you just never know.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

One thing that I will add to the discussion is that when a person does carry, they gain a sense of hightened situational awareness, because we all know that the last thing we want to do is actually get into a situation and have to use it.     When I carry, I intentionally go out of my way to avoid situations or areas that I'm umcomfortable with, have a "bad feeling" about, or that just don't look right - it does make you think more about where you're going & what you're doing.     Granted, this isn't typically a concern on a golf course, I only carry on a rare occasion on more remote courses because of dogs and one bear encounter I've had ..

My interest in carrying and gun selection came after last year when an apparent rabid fox made a beeline for us.  I am not very fast and found myself with my hybrid in my hand and towel rapped around my left forearm! :w00t: We shouted and swung and drove it off. Later it was put down! We also have had bear reports and wild dog (odd Pit-bull/Rottweiler) (we are near a major city)reports in the area so I now have a pistol that fires .410 solid shot or triple-aught buck, Colt .45, and .45 ACP-on the course I vary the sabot rounds with .45 colt-the sabot cannot really fly just tumble but the Colt ammo is stout. I never want to meet a bear or get rabies and the fox helped me focus on the fact that I am no longer 19!

Patrick

MGS Fan

My interest in carrying and gun selection came after last year when an apparent rabid fox made a beeline for us.  I am not very fast and found myself with my hybrid in my hand and towel rapped around my left forearm!    We shouted and swung and drove it off.

What exactly do you need the gun for in this situation?

What exactly do you need the gun for in this situation?

I guess that depends upon what sort of "rabid fox" you were thinking of.

I think he meant an actual woodland creature with rabies.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thing is random events unlikely to ever happen usually don't prompt people to change they way they do things. I fell down once when I was a kid and needed stiches but I don't carry around a suture  kit.

Dave :-)

I guess that depends upon what sort of "rabid fox" you were thinking of.

I think he meant an actual woodland creature with rabies.

I'm thinking of the exact one he descibed ... the one that was driven off with shouting and swinging.  This is the third of fourth story in this thread (including the OP) being set up as an example of a situation where a gun would come in handy.

It's been pointed out before (thanks @Dave2512 ), and I'll just reiterate here, that in each case the "victim" escaped the ordeal without a scratch.  Also, each time the victim was unarmed.  So I don't see how any of these stories hold up as very good examples as to why a gun would be helpful.

What better outcome could there possibly be than "nothing happened?"

I'm thinking of the exact one he descibed ... the one that was driven off with shouting and swinging.  This is the third of fourth story in this thread (including the OP) being set up as an example of a situation where a gun would come in handy.

It's been pointed out before (thanks @Dave2512), and I'll just reiterate here, that in each case the "victim" escaped the ordeal without a scratch.  Also, each time the victim was unarmed.  So I don't see how any of these stories hold up as very good examples as to why a gun would be helpful.

What better outcome could there possibly be than "nothing happened?"

This is exactly what I am thinking. Furthermore, if the odds are ever in favor of having a gun versus no gun on a golf course, I would definitely choose not to be in that situation.

Everything has more than one solution.

BTW, I was just trying to make a lame joke.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think there is a FAR GREATER chance of losing your cool and using the gun unnecessarily than protecting yourself form "do or die" situation.  I don't trust my temper so I will never carry a gun.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• Administrator
I think there is a FAR GREATER chance of losing your cool and using the gun unnecessarily than protecting yourself form "do or die" situation.  I don't trust my temper so I will never carry a gun.

Others feel they can trust their temper.

For example, I'm not going to lose my temper, and I'm going to exhaust every other option first.

(If I had a CCW and had a gun on a golf course, that is.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Given that, I applaud your decision.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think the answer is very simple. Carry where you legally can, where you feel the need and where you feel comfortable. Although I feel no imminent personal danger on the golf course I have regularly had my pistol in my bag. The reason I do this is simple, I carry often and refuse to leave my firearm in my car. I certainly won't skip golf just because I have a gun with me, I just tuck in my bag and don't let my bag out of reach. I did think of using it once when a crow unzipped my bag and removed a bag of range tokens valued around $50 and flew off... I would have shot that damned bird had it been legally allowed! I actually blame that bird for my current golf funk because I wasn't able to utilize those tokens for the practice I so dearly need...

guns aren't going away

responsible gun owners are just that... responsible

If you aren't comfortable with guns don't own them...

I think the answer is very simple. Carry where you legally can, where you feel the need and where you feel comfortable. Although I feel no imminent personal danger on the golf course I have regularly had my pistol in my bag. The reason I do this is simple, I carry often and refuse to leave my firearm in my car. I certainly won't skip golf just because I have a gun with me, I just tuck in my bag and don't let my bag out of reach. I did think of using it once when a crow unzipped my bag and removed a bag of range tokens valued around $50 and flew off... I would have shot that damned bird had it been legally allowed! I actually blame that bird for my current golf funk because I wasn't able to utilize those tokens for the practice I so dearly need...

guns aren't going away

responsible gun owners are just that... responsible

If you aren't comfortable with guns don't own them...

This would be pretty much the only reason I would end up with a firearm in my bag.

However, I am not that certain you can bring any firearms into a public location in either CA nor even AZ. I bet it depends upon the course too.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!