IGNORED

Concealed Carry on The Course

EZPZ
Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Amen-it must be w

For those applications, there are plenty of non-lethal alternatives.

That said, I do have weapons, but only for entertainment purposes. I would rather pull a crossbow with a rabbit blunt or a Tazer to disable anyone without the noise and danger posed by discharging a firearm. Most of my neighbors are my friends after all.

Guns have their place, but I prefer not to use them for personal protection and on the golf course.

Which brings us to the thread topic:

A golf course is the last place I would fire any weapon. First of all, it is a place I go to relax, not have an altercation with other golfers.

Just listening to two drill instructors yelling at each other for 15 minutes yelling so loudly that people could hear them clearly from 150 yards away on a grassy field, was enough of a "bad" situation for me. If I hear a weapon discharged, that would pretty much be the last time I go to that course.

Some personal encounters:

Some drunk guy yelled at me after I hit "into" them. In reality my stray shot hit a cart path and went off in their general direction. I just brushed it off and he just drove on, with no incident. I think I posted this incident sometime this year. No big deal.

Another man threatened me and my son and a Pastor and his son, and we just blew it off and continued the conversation as if the threat was not made. We scoffed at him afterwards in passing, but again, no big deal. The kids hit near him, about 10 yards away. He got upset. He got over it after our talk.

Even today, one of my foursome yelled at another member of my foursome for not playing when he was ready. The person yelled at was also a senior and just let is slide.

This type of thing happens all the time when you have hotheads on the course, tempers rise with bad play, but I'm not going to let this ruin my day and make me change the way I do things (like carry a concealed weapon).

Every encounter has a peaceful or if it comes to "that" there is always a non-lethal solution. It just seems so easy to take those alternatives, even if you're not a big dude like @Golfingdad.

Being close to a city, we have a lot of peace-officers on the course who always carry. There are not a lot of arguments on the course for that reason and we keep the matches capped at $20 so we can  all afford to keep our cool and keep things peaceful. One of the officers showed us his Ruger 10/22 takedown which he keeps in his bag! it screws into 2 pieces with scope and 30 round clip-very cool!

Patrick

MGS Fan

You'd best hunt the sumbitch down wherever you can find it -- and as fast as humanly possible.

And by referencing people who know what they're doing, I'm not referring to guys who'd be indiscriminately slinging lead all over the place and endangering innocent bystanders. These people would shoot what they're aiming at, and nothing else.

Yep, with a pistol,it is definitely close quarters!  The .410 tumbles and the colt .45 is maybe 10 yards before the drop. The good news on the course is lots of safe backgrounds and soft dirt!

Patrick

MGS Fan

If his buddy didnt physically restrain him as he came at me with a potentially deadly weapon, it would have been ugly. I've got a responsibility to go home at the end of the day and I'm going to do whatever is necessary to fulfill that responsibility.

Sounds like you're lucky that guy didn't have a gun.

Good to know you have a couple of hundred thousand and more hanging around for your defense if you happen to shoot a human.

If you do things properly and your actions are clearly justified, you won't need anywhere near that amount. Groups such as the NRA and the Second Amendment Foundation employ excellent attorneys who will jump right into the fray.

John

He tracked rabid fox? Works for animal control? Or just another fairy tale...To justify carrying. C'mon folks nobody gives a shit if you want to carry but admit it is personal choice. The lame reasons are just silly. I have a permit because I want it don't need dramatic reason. Nut up or shut up.

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!!!

Unless carrying a concealed weapon is illegal where you live, you have the right to do so if you have the proper permit so just leave it at that.  The fake stories and dramatic justifications do nothing but hurt the cause and make gun owners seem like paranoid tin foil hat wearing idiots.

I highly doubt anyone would get approval for a concealed carry because they like to golf but are slow runners and are concerned they might encounter a fox with rabies on the course. :doh:

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!!!

Unless carrying a concealed weapon is illegal where you live, you have the right to do so if you have the proper permit so just leave it at that.  The fake stories and dramatic justifications do nothing but hurt the cause and make gun owners seem like paranoid tin foil hat wearing idiots.

I highly doubt anyone would get approval for a concealed carry because they like to golf but are slow runners and are concerned they might encounter a fox with rabies on the course.

Sure they would, there's a checkbox on the CC permit marked "self defense"

I don't understand why people thinks the guy's story is fake... Looks more to me like the people making gun owners "seem like paranoid tin foil hat wearing idiots" are the ones accusing gun owners of making up stories for justification of their "cause"...

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Sure they would, there's a checkbox on the CC permit marked "self defense" I don't understand why people thinks the guy's story is fake... Looks more to me like the people making gun owners "seem like paranoid tin foil hat wearing idiots" are the ones accusing gun owners of making up stories for justification of their "cause"...

I too believe most of the stories. Quick search revealed this one, sounds scary: Http//www.kansascity.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/stargazing/article358060/Justin-Bieber-accused-of-attempted-robbery-at-miniature-golf-course.html

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I too believe most of the stories. Quick search revealed this one, sounds scary: Http//www.kansascity.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/stargazing/article358060/Justin-Bieber-accused-of-attempted-robbery-at-miniature-golf-course.html

Somehow, I don't think shooting and potentially killing Justin Beiber would be a very good idea even if he did steal my cell phone. B-) He's got way better lawyers than I could ever hope. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't understand why people thinks the guy's story is fake... Looks more to me like the people making gun owners "seem like paranoid tin foil hat wearing idiots" are the ones accusing gun owners of making up stories for justification of their "cause"...

I'm a proponent for gun ownership (even though personally I choose not to own one).  I simply don't see the need for justification.  Most people don't feel the need to justify their ownership of a car, house or boat so why cite these outlandish reasons for why they own or carry a gun.   If they are legal to own and carry you can do so without explanation to those of us here.

Think about this from the anti-gun side, the stories and justifications here seem ridiculous, and make gun owners seem paranoid.  I'd bet most people with gun permits couldn't hit a rabid fox running at them full speed with a concealed carry, but that's off topic.

Joe Paradiso

I don't think they're made up at all, just really bad justifications for carrying a gun.  In all of the examples the guy didn't have a gun and didn't need a gun, sooooo ... they are simply very poor examples of why you'd need a gun.  And @newtogolf nails it below ....

I'm a proponent for gun ownership (even though personally I choose not to own one).  I simply don't see the need for justification.  Most people don't feel the need to justify their ownership of a car, house or boat so why cite these outlandish reasons for why they own or carry a gun.   If they are legal to own and carry you can do so without explanation to those of us here.

Think about this from the anti-gun side, the stories and justifications here seem ridiculous, and make gun owners seem paranoid.  I'd bet most people with gun permits couldn't hit a rabid fox running at them full speed with a concealed carry, but that's off topic.

Somebody wants to carry, if it legal to carry wherever you are, you get to carry.  No need to give crazy (non) justifying examples as to why you need to.  You don't have to convince us.

I still stand by my original (humorous, but serious) post in this thread ... I put my wallet, keys and phone (and anything else I may have in my pockets) in my bag because they are too cumbersome while I play golf.  4 or 5 tees in one pocket, 2 or 3 coins/ball markers and a too-rarely used repair tool in the other, aimpoint chart in the back pocket and I'm off to the races.  How am I going to make a proper hip turn with a gun on my side? :-P

I feel like we should bring that announcer back who got fired for saying boobs mess up a womans swing to explain why a gun will mess up a mans swing. :beer:

I think @Lihu is the one who said that if I ever find myself at a golf course where it's so dangerous that a gun is required, then instead of getting a gun, I'll just leave said course and go play somewhere else.

If you do things properly and your actions are clearly justified, you won't need anywhere near that amount. Groups such as the NRA and the Second Amendment Foundation employ excellent attorneys who will jump right into the fray.

Not sure I'd rely on that ... if they have more cases, they won't be as eager to pay to defend you.

But good luck with it.

And if you want to carry, carry. But making an issue of it, or bringing it to our attention, begs the question of whether you should carry. Perhaps more education is needed. Good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

It's simple really. What do you wear a seat belt for ? What do you wear a motorcycle helmet for ?  What do you wear work gloves for ? etc, etc, etc,

What would you carry a concealed weapon for ? The answer to all these questions is protection. And thanks to this wonderful country I live in,  I get to decide when I think I need protection and when I don't.

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

I think @Lihu is the one who said that if I ever find myself at a golf course where it's so dangerous that a gun is required, then instead of getting a gun, I'll just leave said course and go play somewhere else.

I said that too.  I think that's what majority of golfers would do in similar situation instead of carrying a gun to a golf course.  As I said before, I think the OP is overreacting to one incident.  The incident he quoted no way justify bringing in a gun.   How many times have I seen irate golfers?  Too many.  How many of them came after me (and I after others)?  A few times too many.   But all of them were resolved without getting physical, i.e, no punches thrown.

A bit off tangent - Perhaps, I am old school on this.   If someone is coming after me with nothing but his two fists, I'd rather take him out with my two fists (or walk/run away from the situation).  I am not going to pull out a gun to defend myself against a drunk who can't walk straight, let alone swing accurate punches at me.

PS - this thread is/should not be about pro or anti gun, IMO.  This thread should be about common sense.  Should I bring a gun to golf course b/c I was almost attacked by an irate drunk golfer once?   That was what the OP was about.   And I say ... what the heck for?   Man up and kick his sorry ass if he gets out of line, or walk away from the situation if you are ok with it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I said that too.  I think that's what majority of golfers would do in similar situation instead of carrying a gun to a golf course.  As I said before, I think the OP is overreacting to one incident.  The incident he quoted no way justify bringing in a gun.   How many times have I seen irate golfers?  Too many.  How many of them came after me (and I after others)?  A few times too many.   But all of them were resolved without getting physical, i.e, no punches thrown.

A bit off tangent - Perhaps, I am old school on this.   If someone is coming after me with nothing but his two fists, I'd rather take him out with my two fists (or walk/run away from the situation).  I am not going to pull out a gun to defend myself against a drunk who can't walk straight, let alone swing accurate punches at me.

PS - this thread is/should not be about pro or anti gun, IMO.  This thread should be about common sense.  Should I bring a gun to golf course b/c I was almost attacked by an irate drunk golfer once?   That was what the OP was about.   And I say ... what the heck for?   Man up and kick his sorry ass if he gets out of line, or walk away from the situation if you are ok with it.

Depending on the laws and circumstances, reasonable force is always part of the discussion and decision on determining if a shooting is justified.  If a guy comes at you with his fists or even a golf club I'm not sure you're within your legal rights in most states to just shoot him.

If OP feels more comfortable carrying his gun and he's within his legal rights to do so, he should.

Joe Paradiso

This reminds me of the movie Friday .  Craigs dad said it best (and I'm totally paraphrasing here) ... "in my day we didn't bring guns, we only had these [fists], you'd win some and you'd lose some ... but you'd live to fight another day."  (and here's a related clip that is probably NSFW) ...

This reminds me of the movie Friday .  Craigs dad said it best (and I'm totally paraphrasing here) ... "in my day we didn't bring guns, we only had these [fists], you'd win some and you'd lose some ... but you'd live to fight another day."  (and here's a related clip that is probably NSFW) ...

Appreciate the support of concealed carry. It ain't back in the day any more. Never know what the other guy is packing these days.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Lol because we are fighting daily right? I've lived like an *******, been in lots of stupid situations, and every single time it came to blows it was because I was doing something I shouldn't have. I'd wager the average person has less than 5 physical confrontations in a lifetime (fighting with siblings doesn't count) the majority between grades 5-12. This fantasy that we have to be prepared to defend ourselves 24/7 is BS. Fear mongering at it's best.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post

Here we go again. The OP said the guy went back to his bag and got a club, that is way more than just his two fists. second, it says NOWHERE the guy was drunk. You add " That was what the OP was about "  several posters have embellished what the OP said happened to make their point sound better. If you have to make up stuff to help prove your point, chances are your point is WRONG. If you don't agree, then don't. But put up the truth or shadup !

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!