IGNORED

2014 WGC Bridgestone Invitational Discussion Thread

DCrotty22
Note: This thread is 3554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Every round!

Because SOLLOG says so!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks like a match, now. Sergio looking impressively resilient under what can only be described as an assault from probably the best golfer in the world, at the moment.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Pays well to play well at the Bridgestone going into the PGA...both Dufner and McIlroy (the last two PGA champs) finished in the top-5 at the Bridgestone. In 2011, Keegan was actually winning in the 3rd round but had a rough last day. So if you're on form this week, you've gotta like your chances. If you're off form, it could be a long week.

'Grats to Rory.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Congrats to Rory. Awesome tournament.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Was great to see Rory hang around until today and then take the lead over Sergio.  I kind of felt bad for Sergio, those Nike guys keep giving him fits.

Joe Paradiso

If Rory is going to hit the driver like that he is going to be tough to beat. I never thought he was the next Tiger-like superstar but now I'm not so sure. Could be.

I kind of feel for Sergio. But really he is much richer than I could ever dream of. However, didn't he finish second in a couple tournaments that Tiger won? Now he is finishing second to Rory. He has to be frustrated I would imagine.

If Rory is going to hit the driver like that he is going to be tough to beat. I never thought he was the next Tiger-like superstar but now I'm not so sure. Could be.

I'm thinking somewhere between Tiger's peak, and somebody like Nick Price's peak.  About six year ago or so my friend and I had a debate and I said he has 6-8 major win talent.  Well, he's 25, and has three. Maybe I estimated too low.  I think he can get to double digits, and that's a pretty remarkable career, and would put him on the short list of all-time greats.

Do you think he'll be better/have a better career than say, Tom Watson?

EDIT--I said Nick Price and not somebody like Phil Mickelson because Price had a short run of being clearly the best player in the world.  Even though Phil is a superior player and has had a better career, he's never had that stretch, because of Tiger.

"Witty golf quote."

I kind of feel for Sergio. But really he is much richer than I could ever dream of. However, didn't he finish second in a couple tournaments that Tiger won? Now he is finishing second to Rory. He has to be frustrated I would imagine.

I don't feel bad for Sergio but I can see where he could be supremely frustrated at the results of his career.  When he was 19 and challenging Tiger at the PGA, with all his junior success, he probably pictured that by his current age, he'd have six, seven majors.  A couple player of the year awards.  A good time spent as the number one player in the world.  Fifty plus international victories.  He's not even close to that.  He must wonder what the hell went wrong.

I generally think he's okay but he spends enough time acting like a sulky teenager that he kills any sympathy I might have for him.

"Witty golf quote."

I usually don't predict much of anything out of my control but from what I'm seeing right now his stock is rising pretty fast. Odds are that he won't keep hitting the ball quite that well but if he does the other guys better tighen up their jocks or he'll make them look like stable ponies against a thoroughbred.

I remember the first time I was really wowed by Rory.  It was at Quail Hollow in 2010.  He eagled a Par 5 on the back nine with a stunning 2nd shot.  It was something like 235, with a downhill lie to an uphill green and he smoked a 5-iron with a swing so balanced, so pure, and so perfect that it ended up 6 feet from the hole or so.

I may have some of those details wrong but I'm sure a lot of you remember the shot.

"Witty golf quote."

Note: This thread is 3554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!