IGNORED

A 3 wood for off the deck.

Nomo
Note: This thread is 3548 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Guys,

Need some advice.  I have a general swing speed of 85-93 mph for my driver, hence in the 220-230 distance range.  My scores suffer due to the distance and ability off the tee, and inconsistent putting.  I am a pretty good iron and wedge player (play and hit my blades well).

I'm looking at dumping my 3 wood.  I need something I can hit better off the deck.  I had used a Titleist 983pro 15* for many years, and switched to the RBZ HL3 17*.  Couldn't really hit the 983 off the deck (used it on times when I was just too wild w/ my driver) and I'm not loving the RBZ (I was lured in w/ more distance).  RBZ head is too large and difficult for me to hit off the deck, feels like a driver.  My 21* hybrid, or 24 wood, just doesn't have the distance I'm looking for.

I need a solution to off the deck for longer 2nd shots.  I'm looking at the Callaway Xhot2 Pro 4 wood.  It swings well, but don't really have the opportunity to try it in the field (only the cage).  Thoughts for off the deck?  I'd probably never use it off the tee.

I'm curious about the callaway, as I have a friend who can get me a deal.

I went thru a spell for a while where I couldn't get the 3 wood off the deck. Some nasty quacking hooks and worm burners. It was the only club I was doing that with. I was trying so hard to make good contact that I realized that I was making much of a shoulder turn and just arm swinging. Before you spend the dollars on a new stick, ensure you're making your full shoulder turn. That was my problem. I really hit it sweet right now. I have an old 15* Goldwin I just can't get rid of.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

A little off the radar but my sister gave me a Wilson Fatboy 3W, head shape is identical to my Nickent Ironwood Hybrids. I wouldn't even know it's a FW if it wasn't written on the head. It's great off the tee and the deck. Performs well out of the rough as well because it's basically just a low lofted hybrid. You can get them pretty cheap too.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went thru a spell for a while where I couldn't get the 3 wood off the deck. Some nasty quacking hooks and worm burners. It was the only club I was doing that with. I was trying so hard to make good contact that I realized that I was making much of a shoulder turn and just arm swinging. Before you spend the dollars on a new stick, ensure you're making your full shoulder turn. That was my problem. I really hit it sweet right now. I have an old 15* Goldwin I just can't get rid of.

EDIT: " I realized that I wasn't making much of a shoulder turn and just arm swinging"

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

We're some what alike, I hit my driver in the 92 to 96 range and this leaves me with a lengthy second shot on some holes.  I got fitted by a golf pro here in Wichita for a club to replace my traditional 3 iron.  According to his computer hitting indoors the best club for me was the Calloway Xhot2.  It has a 18 degree loft and I hit it about 180 every time, in fact Friday I was 190 from the green with a down hill hole and a slight wind at my back and I put on the green pin high and 10 feet to the left (of course I missed the dam birdie putt) but what the heck.  My point I rarely if ever use my 3 wood any more even on long par 5's I just go with the Xhot2 it usually puts me about 80 to 90 yards out from the green for my third shot so I'm really happy with the results.  Talk to your local fitter and see what he recommends, I can tell you my Calloway hit out doors every bit as good as on the simulator.  If fact I loved it so much I replaced by 4 iron with a Xhot 2 with a little different loft.

Thehook840

The Cobra Bio Cell has worked well for me ... Never have been able to hit a 3w until the Bio Cell ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I have an Adams Super #1 Hybrid that may be the answer for you. It's the same loft (15 degrees) as your normal 3 wood just with a smaller head that allows you to hit it from the deck very easy. Mine has an Aldila Voodoo stiff shaft in it and flies. It's great for long par 5s, and decent from the tee box. The only reason I don't use it is because the offset of the hybrid doesn't fit my eye.

The original RBZ packed a strange clubhead. I tried the 3W/HL 17* for a season, and found the head to be a little top-heavy. It worked find off the tee or with a grass cushion in the light rough, but hitting it off the deck was hit and miss. Also, the stock RBZ FWs only had a 45 gram shaft, and I had trouble with hook misses.

I switched last year to the Tour Edge Exotics XRails , an SGI fairway wood with a high launch shaft. I carry the 4W + 7W, and the a couple of extra degrees of loft really helps for a reliable launch. The 7W actually works better than a hybrid for getting out of medium rough.

Callaway X-family 4Ws work fine; but, I had played Tour Edge FWs from 2002 to 2008, and wanted to try the XRails.

Also take a look at the Cobra Baffler T.Rail series of fairway woods from a couple of years back. These have low-profile heads, and a 16* and a 20* club combo might be quite useful. These are under $100 each - if you can find one.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

There is only one hole on the course where I can safely hit a 3 wood off the deck. There is too much trouble for errant shots. Therefore I will usually hit my 5 iron or 3 iron and wedge for my third. I hit the 3 wood 240 off the tee with confidence and slightly less off the turf.

For hitting off the deck, try a 3W that has a low profile face. That was the concept behind the original Adams tight lies woods.  The tradeoff is that the low profile face woods have a smaller hitting area when used on the tee.

Loft seems to be the problem for most. Can't say I hit my 15 degree 3w great off the deck but it is handy enough from the tee I can't imagine golf without it, I use it as much or more as my driver. For me an 18 degree 5w was the answer. I hit that much further and higher than a mediocre 3w. Specifically an 18 with a mid-high launch shaft. Went the other way with the 3 wood, put a low launch shaft in that at 42" to keep it as controlled as possible when it is a must. Other than par 5's how often do you really need that kind of muscle from the fairway? A guy that can hit a driver 250ish and a 5w 225ish gets 475 out them with good contact. Our longest par 5 is 566, of the four two are reachable with less than driver 3w.

Dave :-)

I have the Nike VRS 4 wood the VRS works good for me being that it's a shallow face.

I have the Vr-S 3 wood & love it.   Best 3 wood I've ever hit off the deck ... plus they're absurdly cheap now on eBay.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I would suggest you look at the Callaway x2 hot and the ping G 25 or new G30.

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

Hey Guys,

Need some advice.  I have a general swing speed of 85-93 mph for my driver, hence in the 220-230 distance range.  My scores suffer due to the distance and ability off the tee, and inconsistent putting.  I am a pretty good iron and wedge player (play and hit my blades well).

I'm looking at dumping my 3 wood.  I need something I can hit better off the deck.  I had used a Titleist 983pro 15* for many years, and switched to the RBZ HL3 17*.  Couldn't really hit the 983 off the deck (used it on times when I was just too wild w/ my driver) and I'm not loving the RBZ (I was lured in w/ more distance).  RBZ head is too large and difficult for me to hit off the deck, feels like a driver.  My 21* hybrid, or 24 wood, just doesn't have the distance I'm looking for.

I need a solution to off the deck for longer 2nd shots.  I'm looking at the Callaway Xhot2 Pro 4 wood.  It swings well, but don't really have the opportunity to try it in the field (only the cage).  Thoughts for off the deck?  I'd probably never use it off the tee.

I'm curious about the callaway, as I have a friend who can get me a deal.

You have my speed ... and I'm trying to develop more. I'd say generally Do Not go for the Pro version unless you are a lower capper or hit long shafted 4 woods well ... most people want added forgiveness in the 3-4 wood range, and the Pro has the heavier, less spinny Tour Green shaft.

The X2Hot 4 wood may be your ticket, and if the Tour Green really suits you, one can order it in the Tour Green.

You may also want to order it at 42.5-42.75 inches for better consistency and control. Isn't that what you want? More distance in the fairway? If you need more weight in the head after Callaway cuts length, some lead tape on the sole or around the hosel may give you more head balance.

good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

You have my speed ... and I'm trying to develop more. I'd say generally Do Not go for the Pro version unless you are a lower capper or hit long shafted 4 woods well ... most people want added forgiveness in the 3-4 wood range, and the Pro has the heavier, less spinny Tour Green shaft. The X2Hot 4 wood may be your ticket, and if the Tour Green really suits you, one can order it in the Tour Green. You may also want to order it at 42.5-42.75 inches for better consistency and control. Isn't that what you want? More distance in the fairway? If you need more weight in the head after Callaway cuts length, some lead tape on the sole or around the hosel may give you more head balance. good luck.

For a fairway wood, I would put the lead tape on the back of the head, not the sole. The turf will eventually wear the lead tape off. Plus, you increase MOI by putting the tape on the rear of the club.

Note: This thread is 3548 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!