IGNORED

2014 PGA Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So given Rory's play, what do you guys think, -2 and better have a shot at this point?

If Rory drives it for four days like he did today, I will bet my entire mortgage on him...no one else has a chance in hell. However, Rory will occasionally get erratic with the driver during a round and one thing Valhalla does have is water off a lot of these fairways that could penalize him. But given the fact this course is going to softer, he could destroy this venue.

Agree. I don't mind Brandel. People don't like him because he's hard on Tiger, but that's kinda why I do like him. Too many guys kiss up to Tiger and he's not afraid to be critical. And I thought he was pretty spot on tonight.

I mean, I really do understand why people dont like Brandel. He does get repetitive and annoying at times. But with that said, I do like his arguments for the most part. Its not like he doesn't make good points or know what he is talking about. Just wish he would dial it back sometimes. But at the same time, we all are talking about him, so obviously he is helpful for GC ratings.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

If Rory drives it for four days like he did today, I will bet my entire mortgage on him...no one else has a chance in hell. However, Rory will occasionally get erratic with the driver during a round and one thing Valhalla does have is water off a lot of these fairways that could penalize him. But given the fact this course is going to softer, he could destroy this venue.

I agree with this. Rory is the most complete player playing right now. Aside from that two hole stretch, he looked super dominant.

Also, where is Jordan Spieth? I haven't seen hide or tail of him this whole tournament, and really for the last few tournaments. Is he playing at the PGA?

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I mean, I really do understand why people dont like Brandel. He does get repetitive and annoying at times. But with that said, I do like his arguments for the most part. Its not like he doesn't make good points or know what he is talking about. Just wish he would dial it back sometimes. But at the same time, we all are talking about him, so obviously he is helpful for GC ratings.

Tiger fans don't like him....that's obvious. And I'm with you....there's times I think he should dial it back and he thinks he's too good for his britches. He does have a little arrogance to him, no doubt. But I like that he's not afraid to call it as it is. I like any analyst that does that. He doesn't give free passes to guys. And I honestly think his takes on Tiger's swing are spot on.

I agree with this. Rory is the most complete player playing right now. Aside from that two hole stretch, he looked super dominant.

Also, where is Jordan Spieth? I haven't seen hide or tail of him this whole tournament, and really for the last few tournaments. Is he playing at the PGA?

Funny thing is it was one shot. If he hits the 2nd like he did the 4th, he walks off with par and probably doesn't bogey the 11th because his head is not spinning. That's why I said before he was literally one swing from a 62 or 63 and this tournament would be called pretty much over after one round.

I agree with this. Rory is the most complete player playing right now. Aside from that two hole stretch, he looked super dominant.  Also, where is Jordan Spieth? I haven't seen hide or tail of him this whole tournament, and really for the last few tournaments. Is he playing at the PGA?

He shot an even 71

Riley

Funny thing is it was one shot. If he hits the 2nd like he did the 4th, he walks off with par and probably doesn't bogey the 11th because his head is not spinning. That's why I said before he was literally one swing from a 62 or 63 and this tournament would be called pretty much over after one round.

Yeah, he let that shot get into his head for two holes. What's most impressive to me is that this has been a pattern for him in the past: he lets a bad hole or so wreck his confidence. But he corralled that impulse after two holes, which is really cool to see. That's what separates the really good from the great, I think.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

He shot an even 71

Not much of a camera presence on him, I guess. Didn't watch the whole broadcast (did yardwork instead; yay) but it seems like he's fallen a little bit, publicity wise.

Totally anecdotal, but it feels that way.

EDIT: didn't mean to multi-post. My bad.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Not much of a camera presence on him, I guess. Didn't watch the whole broadcast (did yardwork instead; yay) but it seems like he's fallen a little bit, publicity wise.  Totally anecdotal, but it feels that way.

He teed off really early, as well. Rory has taken over the spotlight. Good to see really, the whole "look at how young he is" thing with Jordan got on my damn nerves. It's not like he beat ****ing polio or something.

Riley

Notay Begay just said that "Rory is hitting the ball longer AND further then everybody else right now."  Hehe.

What a dork. Everyone knows he should've used "farther" in this context, not "further!" :)

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Chamblee is great.  Not good, great.  Nobilo is solid, too.  And that exchange was fantastically entertaining to the golf nerd.  I've watched it twice now.  They both make excellent points,

"Witty golf quote."

Notay Begay just said that "Rory is hitting the ball longer AND further then everybody else right now."  Hehe.

I'm not sure why he's on that set.  He hasn't really improved much over the years.  He's fine as an on course commentator for lessor events.  Keep him off the main analyst desk for majors.

As far as the tournament goes, I don't see how anybody can bet against Rory at this point.  Dude is in old school Tiger form, and one off the lead.

"Witty golf quote."

Quote:

Originally Posted by BENtSwing32

Nothing like a couple old blow-hards arguing about another golfer lol. I'm amazed that the GC still exists at all.

I just watched the argument and I wouldn't have watched it if you guys weren't talking about it.

Maybe it was good for ratings.

LOL there you go...TST is keeping GC alive!! :-O

Lol. That's right, He is That Good!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Here in the UK we are brilliantly served by Sky pundits and commentary teams but as so much of the American channels are the main on course viewing content we are deluged with Tiger coverage Why oh why is this golfer with a personality by-pass who uses the worst possible language in front of women and children and who has at best dubious regard for golfing integrity given huge amounts of TV coverage and "expert" coverage Understandably if in majors he threatened to win, understandable if he was a Jack or an Ernie or a Nick that could be pointed out the young golfers as the way perform when winning or losing There are so many brilliant young and not so young golfers who play the game with charm whilst being powerfully motivated to win who deserve full on coverage

Here in the UK we are brilliantly served by Sky pundits and commentary teams but as so much of the American channels are the main on course viewing content we are deluged with Tiger coverage

I don't think I'd enjoy watching golf coverage in the US. UK Sky are rightly notorious for shoving adverts in at every possible and inappropriate opportunity (despite the fact that we are already paying the subscriptions) but even they only cut to adverts 1 out of every 2 times the US coverage does. It must be infuriating to be forced to watch the uncut 'see 3 shots, watch in-show sponsor's segment, cut to commercial' routine repeated throughout the whole coverage. At least we get the Shot Centre...

Although I'd be quite happy never to have to watch that Ryder Cup Monty vs Harmon stuff again...

Note: This thread is 3529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!