IGNORED

How do i stop coming over the top????

Note: This thread is 3143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I swing righty which is my normal swing I have no OTT But when I try to swing lefty I feel a massive OTT move It feels like I have to control the swing with the top of my spine when I swing lefty. One thing that helps with my OTT lefty swing is align my hips slightly open and this allows my lower body to initiate the swing rather than to try to control it to much with my arms and shoulders

is the box on the outside of the ball or on the inside...?...I'm having trouble visualizing this....

Thanks

Sinn

Put it on the outside of the ball. (ball between you and the box)  As if your ball was close to a wall.  Just leave about an inch of extra space that your club head needs.  If you come over the top, you will hit the box.  If you come too far in to out... you will hit the box.

Thanks...I always hear "OUT TO IN".."IN TO OUT"....I have a hard time visualizing these concepts..I'll try this shoebox method tomorrow

CLUBS:ping: CART: :sunmountain: DRIVER: :callaway:GOLF BALL: :titleist:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Does every swing problem come back to the weight forward drills? I'm starting to think so...

If you get your hips moving with the downswing, and get them clear before impact, it's tough to come over the top.

I try to keep my right elbow close to the body the entire downswing, it gets close after the takeaway and stays close until impact, I also try to brush my right thigh with the back of hands.

This used to be my #1 nemesis.  I tried lots of things but this video is the one that helped me the most.

Very interesting!  I've done a lot of swing work to try to develop a solid push draw shot shape, but a big struggle of mine is trying to jack the ball from the very top.  The feel I generally go for is just keeping everything really smooth, but that doesn't work for me all the time.  I really like the idea behind this drill.  Gonna try it tonight!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Wow thanks for that video above. I tried this a lot at the range yesterday and it really helped me a lot. It enabled me to hit a slight draw at best and at worst, I still hit a slight fade. I did not hit one slice yesterday after 3 buckets of balls. Even with my arch nemesis driver, I hit it pretty darn well. Excited to play 18 this coming weekend and see if I can keep it together. Thanks a lot to everyone that has helped.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkNballs

Put it on the outside of the ball. (ball between you and the box)  As if your ball was close to a wall.  Just leave about an inch of extra space that your club head needs.  If you come over the top, you will hit the box.  If you come too far in to out... you will hit the box.

Thanks...I always hear "OUT TO IN".."IN TO OUT"....I have a hard time visualizing these concepts..I'll try this shoebox method tomorrow

If you've played baseball... just think of hitting a ball to right field (in to out) or to left field (out to in).

I always feel like I'm going to 'push' the shot right, if I try the 'hitting to right field' thought...visa-versa, on hitting to 'left field' I feel it's a pull or a slice, depending if my club head is open. But I'll keep trying !!!

CLUBS:ping: CART: :sunmountain: DRIVER: :callaway:GOLF BALL: :titleist:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkNballs

If you've played baseball... just think of hitting a ball to right field (in to out) or to left field (out to in).

I always feel like I'm going to 'push' the shot right, if I try the 'hitting to right field' thought...visa-versa, on hitting to 'left field' I feel it's a pull or a slice, depending if my club head is open.

But I'll keep trying !!!

There's a big difference between "feel" and "real".  Once you start consistently pushing shots to the right, the slice is fixed.  Dial it back a bit and feel like you're swinging more towards the target.

I'm the opposite.  I feel like I'm cutting across the ball to keep from hooking and pushing shots.  In actuality... I'm swinging towards the target.  It just feels like I'm swinging slightly left.

iv recorded my swing.

My response if anyone is interested.

There are a couple reasons you come over the top.

At address your spine is straight to titled slightly left. You're going to feel the opposite, especially with a driver, bump the hips a few inches forward with the head not moving forward. Will get you to look more like the right pic. Also turn both feet out, will help make the next two pieces much easier to accomplish.

Then on the backswing the head and hips move too far to the right. You're going to want to feel like you set the hips a few inches more forward at address and that the left hip stays forward as you make your backswing.

Maybe the biggest reason you swing OTT, coming into impact and the hips are farther back than they were at address (green line). Compare that to the player on the right where the hips and weight have transferred forward.

Here's a great feel for the weight forward piece

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 year later...

Like the author of the tread, I´m fighting with my over the top movement from time to time. I like to practise drills on the range, and also I´d like to choose one home drill (the one of 5 minutes a day) that helps me get rid of this dreadful movement too. I wonder if this can help me:

1. Take a swing and pause at the top oh the backswing.

2. Drop the hands to wais height and pause.

3. Finish the swing as normal from there.

4. Repeat thousand times.

What do you guys think??

:nike:

Like the author of the tread, I´m fighting with my over the top movement from time to time. I like to practise drills on the range, and also I´d like to choose one home drill (the one of 5 minutes a day) that helps me get rid of this dreadful movement too. I wonder if this can help me:

1. Take a swing and pause at the top oh the backswing.

2. Drop the hands to wais height and pause.

3. Finish the swing as normal from there.

4. Repeat thousand times.

What do you guys think??

You're probably not going to like this answer but you have to figure out why you come over the top (assuming it's been verified that you do swing OTT).

You might come over the top because you don't enough and create enough depth with your pivot and arms. As always I suggest posting a video :-)

Mike McLoughlin

There are swing aids that strap the upper right arm to your side. My right arm stays in contact with my right side for most of my swings. Needless to say, I don't come OTT.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Great videos and tips, thanks all! Another drill similar to the box my coach showed me was the three ball setup. Put one ball 6" in front to the left of your ball and one 6" behind and right. This forces you to come inside. Of course it all depends on proper setup, hand position, and all that. Since you always have balls, you can do it any time anywhere. Like this...

O

..........O

....................O

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

Fixing a slice can be a journey. Assuming you have experimented with a lot of the basic stuff as a 13 handicap, these two things helped me remedy my slice.

Add depth. Your hands getting diagonally further up and away from you in the back swing. Push your hands out as you are turning back as opposed to keeping the shaft too close to the shoulders/head at the top. To clarify I'm not talking about pushing things out of their sockets. Just enough push that I'm countering the centripetal force that can cause the left arm to overly flex and/or cram into the chest.

Turn more. I turn my left shoulder slightly downward and around until I feel resistance and then turn into that resistance a little bit more. Turning fully has its benefits, but one of the best to me is how easy a full swing position at the top can be achieved this way time and time again. After awhile you will gain some flexibility, and begin to feel your upper body operating on a different axis than the lower.

Also post this in case anyone hasn't seen it.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!