IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

22 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Well, today was the big day ... and it was a blast!  ...

Nicely done.  You had ample opportunity to freak out but remained steady.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

May/June is prime tournament season, so I'm giving this thread a bump. Anyone have any big competitions coming up in the near future? 

Our club is hosting their member/member tournament in two weekends. It's our biggest money event with tons of scrip and side bets up for grabs. It's a 2 man event with a Saturday "best ball" and a Sunday "count 'em all." 

My current game is solid from a ball striking standpoint, but my short game has been iffy and my putting atrocious. In my last three rounds, I don't believe that I have made a single putt longer than 10 feet. As such, my current "birdie-less" streak sits at 54 holes and counting, despite having about 25 GIR's during that stretch, and a couple of those looks inside of 8 feet. Definitely frustrating. But they say the short game is the easiest to fix, so I know where I'll be dedicating my practice the next two weeks!

As schedules do not get too hectic, I am going to play in my first Arkansas State Golf Association tournament June 25-26 in Batesville, AR. What sucks, is that a majority of the population in Arkansas lives near Little Rock, which is where 90% of the tournaments are, and its 3 hours away. They are all 2 day events so I'm looking at a hotel stay as well.

If everything goes smoothly this summer and my handicap drops enough, I plan on playing in the US Mid-AM qualifier at The Blessings in Fayetteville (Though qualifying isn't really an achievable goal)

Our Club Championship for my home course is in August and depending on a trip to streamsong Id like to win my flight. 

• Upvote 2

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

with the house for sell I wasn't able to participate in the golfweek am tour for the Sav / hilton head area.  But am going to try to play as a guest before the last tournament, And would definately like to sign up next year,

Unfortunately, there is only the one tournament in my area and I won't be able to take time off of work to play in it this year. I was really looking forward to playing in it, but my supervisor's son is getting married and I can't be off at the same time as she is. Maybe I can find something else in a reasonable driving distance, but most of what I see around here is region specific which requires you to live in or have a membership in the county/region that the tournament is taking place.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

34 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

As schedules do not get too hectic, I am going to play in my first Arkansas State Golf Association tournament June 25-26 in Batesville, AR. What sucks, is that a majority of the population in Arkansas lives near Little Rock, which is where 90% of the tournaments are, and its 3 hours away. They are all 2 day events so I'm looking at a hotel stay as well.

Those two days are a killer, even when they are local. Just wait till you have kids and you'll see:-P.

I've already cleared the member/member with my wife, but I'm thinking that might come at the cost of the Club Championship in June - a 3 day event June 18/25/26. I better make this one count!

2 minutes ago, Big C said:

Those two days are a killer, even when they are local. Just till you have kids and you'll see:-P.

I've already cleared the member/member with my wife, but I'm thinking that might come at the cost of the Club Championship in June - a 3 day event June 18/25/26. Better make this one count!

Oh there is no question I will not be missing any tournaments at my home course. Our Club Championship is 3 days. Its adding in the extra state golf tournaments that makes it tough.

Cutting back on golf is enough birth control for me haha. Kids can wait. The wife is only 25 anyways. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Unfortunately, there is only the one tournament in my area and I won't be able to take time off of work to play in it this year. I was really looking forward to playing in it, but my supervisor's son is getting married and I can't be off at the same time as she is. Maybe I can find something else in a reasonable driving distance, but most of what I see around here is region specific which requires you to live in or have a membership in the county/region that the tournament is taking place.

Have you tried phoning up some of the courses down here? 

I know Piqua and Troy both have city championships. The Miami County tournament is at Echo Hills and Homestead this year. Not sure if there are any residency restrictions or not, but it might be worth a call.

3 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Have you tried phoning up some of the courses down here? 

I know Piqua and Troy both have city championships. The Miami County tournament is at Echo Hills and Homestead this year. Not sure if there are any residency restrictions or not, but it might be worth a call.

I did look into one, but it required living in that area. I found a website for ohio amateur tournaments, requires a membership to enter the tournaments as well as each tournament having an entry fee. It may be worth checking in to if I start feeling a bit more confident, right now I don't know that it would be worth about $100 for the membership then 100-200 a pop for the tournaments themselves.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Season started just a week ago and I will play a lot tourneys and all kind of home course championships. This weekend the club championship foursome, next thursday a seniors championship 4ball, then a 3 day strokeplay tourney in Germany, 11th june and 2nd july a 36 holes strokeplay event. So I will battle for all I am worth next weeks. :-D

Last tourney till September, and my partner and I sucked it up pretty good ending with a net 75 I believe.  It was a Texas scramble where you had to have 8 drives minimum count from each teammate.

The winner you ask?  A gross 59.. They are both KSA national team members, so they are technically pros.. They ripped the course obviously, but why were they even allowed to play I don't know.  They were given a 1 HC and my partner and I were given a 9 HC.  I wish I could have seen them do it though, must be fun to be that good.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Our member 2-day tournament took place this past weekend. I wish I could report back with great news, but as those of us who have read this site for awhile know, "golf is hard."

Our first round, a Saturday best ball started out pretty well. My partner and I both played solid golf and picked up each other on the holes where the other faltered. We finished with a net 66, which was right in the hunt within our flight. Personally, I shot an 80, which included a "throwaway" triple bogey on a hole where my partner made a stress free par.

Sunday was another story. I'll save the gory details, but essentially I hit a couple of poor chips/pitches early in the round and never felt comfortable over a single short game shot the rest of the day. Eventually, I resorted to using my Texas Wedge whenever possible. I held it together through the front nine, but eventually the pressure I was putting on myself to hit every long game shot perfectly wore me down. I finished with an ugly 86. Considering that score included an eagle and a birdie, you can imagine how the rest of the round went.

So the bad news is, I let my partner down and blew our chances to place when a top 3 finish was well within reach. The good news is, my eagle will probably hold up for a skin and some $$$ in our side bets. And I guess I know what part of my game I'll be practicing over the next few months.

• Upvote 1

Golf is hard! Played myself in form and wanted to reach the cut (best 8 couples) at our clubchampionship foursome, but I choked, first 6 holes 4 waterballs and missed cut.

It all had to do with tempo. A little too tense and hooked my first 4 shots from the tee. Biggest miss was that I did not recognize the problem until the start on the back nine. And because you play with a partner, you feel more guilty with every shot. But the good thing is, I know what the solution is. Tomorrow a new opportunity.

Edited by MacDutch

Played Member-Member, this past weekend.  Shot 36-38-74 (+3), my partner and I came in 2nd Net.  

5 birdies, 6 bogeys and 1 double.

• Upvote 2

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Played in a two day net city tournament this past weekend, it was my first time playing in one.  The nerves got to me on the first day as what they say is right, tourney golf is not the same as regular golf.  After the first day I was 12th out of 23 in my flight.

Day 2 I turned it around and had a much better time. It didn't hurt that I had a chip-in birdie on the first hole and another birdie to start the back 9.

Ended up finishing in 7th (5th if you count the ties above me).   

Things to work on: Bunker shots, short putts, rinse and repeat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bmartin461 said:

Played in a two day net city tournament this past weekend, it was my first time playing in one.  The nerves got to me on the first day as what they say is right, tourney golf is not the same as regular golf.  After the first day I was 12th out of 23 in my flight.

Day 2 I turned it around and had a much better time. It didn't hurt that I had a chip-in birdie on the first hole and another birdie to start the back 9.

Ended up finishing in 7th (5th if you count the ties above me).   

Things to work on: Bunker shots, short putts, rinse and repeat.

Top 1/3 in your first attempt, that's pretty dang good. Congratulations! :beer:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Our MPSGA tournament season started in May.  I had to miss the first tournament but participated in #2 this past weekend.  Our tournaments have about 112 seniors [age 50+] playing a one day stroke play tournament.  Four flights based on USGA handicap, full handicap used for "net" scoring.  Top 5 "net" places in each flight paid as well as gross skins within each flight.

I finished tied for 10th in our flight (B) and T16 gross.  I struggled in all facets but mostly held it together through course management and a few decent shots sprinkled here and there.  My "82" wasn't impressive but there were a lot of worse efforts.  Did cash in a skin for a birdie on one of the tougher par 4's.

Brian Kuehn

Playing in a Mid-Am at one of the local courses in my city next weekend. It'll be my first solo tournament round since my freshman year of high school. My goal is basically to not piss myself on the first tee and make some kind of contact with the ball. 

• Upvote 1