IGNORED

Golf...cool or not???

BrownCoast
Note: This thread is 3496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is golf cool?

• Yes
    • No

If people are actually debating whether something is cool or not... It's probably not cool. Cool is a state of being... so I don't see how golf, or any sport or piece of attire, could be considered cool.

There's no standard of cool, so everything can and probably is debated. Golf is definitely cool. Part of being cool is a certain amount of nonchalance, which the game of golf traditionally values. It's not really appropriate behavior to throw f-bombs all over the place when you hit a poor shot, nor is it appropriate to shout in exuberance when you make that long birdie putt. In the former situation, you're supposed to just brush it off like it's no big deal. In the latter, you acknowledge your partners' congratulations graciously. In either case, you don't show your emotions, and that's part of what being cool is all about.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You made it about fashion by claiming the golfers wear tech fabrics with brighter colors and people out at bars wear polo's but not they weren't as brightly colored and made of cotton.  Not all golfers wear wild colors.  Tiger usually wears solids (black and red on Sunday), Rory played today in solids.

So my point was why do fans going to a bar have to wear the exact colors and fabrics a professional golfer does when we don't expect the same from other sports.  If you think a skort that a women wears to a bar looks the same as WTA tennis attire you really shouldn't discuss fashion at all.

It is impossible to have a normal conversation with you. I posted a few times that the fashion was a bad example and yet somehow you keep going back to that! I'm not sure if its out of sheer ignorance or just a desire to be an ass because you have the luxury of hiding behind your computer screen but its one of the two. So congratulations we are all that much dumber for having read your ongoing ramblings about something you just can't seem to let go of.

Once again I will say this. The thread was started to see what people think of a game we all enjoy. The popularity of golf has gone down that is a fact! courses are closing all over North America 1 every 2 days I believe. Companies are posting a decline in sales and it seems easier to find tee times (at least in my area). Hence why I ask do we think golf is cool. I never thought anyone here cared what outsiders thought of the sport but what we thought of the sport and maybe even why or what we think is cool or uncool about it. But you can keep holding on to your argument if thats what you really want.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

Everyone.  Let's try to steer this thread back to being civil to each other.  Being civil is very COOL!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

At times it's cool, and under certain circumstances it's not.  All depends on the situation and the perspective.  Beers and fun with friends--cool.  Playing with old men in golf carts and plaid polyester pants to get away from a significant other for a few hours--not...wait, that's still cool! ;)

LOL that's like going out to the boardwalk and saying, "Wow, a lot of people wear bikinis in public nowadays!"

But in all seriousness, have you considered the fact that sports team jerseys tend to stand out more than just a regular collared shirt or polo, so your mind registers more people wearing jerseys? I know lots of people who wear polos who don't even golf.

OTOH, who says the guys wearing the jerseys are cool? Probably only to the group of guys that wear the same type of jerseys :beer:

When I was in my 20s, I seriously didn't even know anyone under 40 played the sport. Even the players in their 20s looked like they were middle aged men to me with their "older men clothing". Just a lack of understanding, of course. Now, I think it's "cool", but on the other hand I'm also 20 years older. :whistle:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Once again I will say this. The thread was started to see what people think of a game we all enjoy. The popularity of golf has gone down that is a fact! courses are closing all over North America 1 every 2 days I believe. Companies are posting a decline in sales and it seems easier to find tee times (at least in my area). Hence why I ask do we think golf is cool. I never thought anyone here cared what outsiders thought of the sport but what we thought of the sport and maybe even why or what we think is cool or uncool about it. But you can keep holding on to your argument if thats what you really want.

I don't think golf was ever cool, even when Tiger was in his prime, it wasn't cool, he just broke down some racial barriers and provided minorities with someone they could relate to better.  IMO, traditional sports aren't really cool, not in the same way X-Games and BMX are.  Cool usually means pushing the limits of what's acceptable or humanly possible.  MMA was at one time "cool" now it's a business and despite Dana White's attempt to distance itself and even mock boxing, it's becoming more like boxing than the pioneers of the sport ever intended.

Golf was popular imo because of the very things that makes it "uncool" today.  Many people that played golf and tennis 25+ years ago, took up the sports because that's what wealthy, business executives played and it was an image others wanted to portray.  I remember listening to all the sales guys and executives at the water cooler swapping golf stories when I worked at Xerox and thinking to myself, these guys must be rich.   Deals and relationships were bonded on the golf course and 19th hole because businesses could write off their expensive country club memberships, green fees and bar tab.   Early in my career, being a golfer was almost a requirement to being in sales or management, today I almost never hear people discuss golf in the work place.

Tiger's popularity resulted in the building of golf courses everywhere so that practically anyone interested could play on a regular basis.  This combined with new tax laws that made deducting country club initiation and membership fees a flag for auditors made golf less exclusive and cost justifiable   The top private country clubs in America are still doing well and have waiting lists is because people still want the status and exclusivity.  The semi-private and public courses are in trouble because they don't know who their target customer is any longer.

Joe Paradiso

There's no standard of cool, so everything can and probably is debated. Golf is definitely cool. Part of being cool is a certain amount of nonchalance, which the game of golf traditionally values. It's not really appropriate behavior to throw f-bombs all over the place when you hit a poor shot, nor is it appropriate to shout in exuberance when you make that long birdie putt. In the former situation, you're supposed to just brush it off like it's no big deal. In the latter, you acknowledge your partners' congratulations graciously. In either case, you don't show your emotions, and that's part of what being cool is all about.

Sounds to me you're more referring to a golfer being cool, versus golf being cool. Either way, if it's that debatable of a topic... It's probably not cool

Golf does push certain limits to the maximum as well. I suppose that there is an element of risk to life in X-game type sports, where a "duff" usually ends up with the "duffer" in traction drinking his meals through a straw. Does this possibility make it any more "cool" than other sports? I used to back country ski, and my parents generation used to say I was crazy taking 20 foot jumps in chutes and skiing through trees. Nowadays, i see kids in squirrel suits (which look ridiculous, BTW), flying through narrow gorges. This seems pretty stupid, but on the other hand THEY think its cool if/when they make it through. To each his own, I guess.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Golf does push certain limits to the maximum as well. I suppose that there is an element of risk to life in X-game type sports, where a "duff" usually ends up with the "duffer" in traction drinking his meals through a straw. Does this possibility make it any more "cool" than other sports?

I used to back country ski, and my parents generation used to say I was crazy taking 20 foot jumps in chutes and skiing through trees. Nowadays, i see kids in squirrel suits (which look ridiculous, BTW), flying through narrow gorges. This seems pretty stupid, but on the other hand THEY think its cool if/when they make it through.

To each his own, I guess.

I agree, unfortunately only those of us that have really tried to play the game appreciate how difficult it is.

Joe Paradiso

I only play golf in synthetic polos, and would wear any or all of them for a casual day/evening away from the house. I'm such a dork. I'm kind of on a Travis Mathew kick right now. Just fits well and looks great.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

What a crazy thread. Where to even start?

Golf is cool.

I wear polos all the time, and I'm a girl. Cotton, not sweaty synthetics. Eww.

That video with Ricky Fowler and Bubba Watson and the other two guys was cool. But none of them were dressed appropriately for the golf course. Didn't they take the quiz?

Also, Ricky Fowler's stupid little flat-billed caps are stupid little flat-billed caps.

The only women who wear skorts are golfers and tennis players.

D&D; used to be cool, back in the day when you had to give a damn and learn to calculate Thac0. If you know what that means, you're cool. If not, stick with the new D&D; which is nothing but a panty-waist board game. Chutes and Ladders is cooler than the new D&D.;

Sports jerseys are for game day. Only. Otherwise, go put on a polo and look like a grown man, you schmuck.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

Golf is cool..........and I don't have a care in the world what 'non-golfers' think about the game.   They can go play soccer or lawn darts for all I care.....  I play golf!

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

That video with Ricky Fowler and Bubba Watson and the other two guys was cool. But none of them were dressed appropriately for the golf course. Didn't they take the quiz?

Also, Ricky Fowler's stupid little flat-billed caps are stupid little flat-billed caps.

D&D; used to be cool, back in the day when you had to give a damn and learn to calculate Thac0. If you know what that means, you're cool. If not, stick with the new D&D; which is nothing but a panty-waist board game. Chutes and Ladders is cooler than the new D&D.;

Sports jerseys are for game day. Only. Otherwise, go put on a polo and look like a grown man, you schmuck.

Wait. Are you saying that "skorts" aren't cool? ;-) Everybody thinks my wife is cool and she wears those. Can't wait to get home and tell her she's not nearly as cool as she thinks she is.

Nah, skorts are fine. I just don't know anyone who wears them that doesn't play golf or tennis.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

What a crazy thread. Where to even start?

Golf is cool.

I wear polos all the time, and I'm a girl. Cotton, not sweaty synthetics. Eww.

Kind of my feeling. :-$

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Anything that 60+ year olds play can't be cool.  Cool is the province of youth.  Right now few under the age of 25 think golf is cool.  So what is cool?  Darned if I know since I am part of the 60+ crew.  Do I care that golf is not cool?  Nope.

Brian Kuehn

Anything that 60+ year olds play can't be cool.  Cool is the province of youth.  Right now few under the age of 25 think golf is cool.  So what is cool?  Darned if I know since I am part of the 60+ crew.  Do I care that golf is not cool?  Nope.

Especially when those seniors KICK THE CRAP out of the young kids! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

That's one of the coolest things about it. ;-) At our course there are a couple of grandfathers that play a weekly game with their grandsons (who are 20 somethings). Doesn't get any cooler than that.

Note: This thread is 3496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!