IGNORED

Noh Assessed Two-Stroke Penalty for Playing from the Wrong Green

Rulesman
Note: This thread is 3528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well he obviously didn't Noh. Seung Yul just didn't Noh....I'm sorry, I really need to stop.

It's Noh surprise.

The half-witted Bubba Watson today checked that he was able to use his driver when measuring relief.

You'd think they Noh, but they don't.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I sort of see where you're coming from, but golf is a (for lack of a better word) "business" here in NA, and a "test" just to play would be bad for business.

O

Golf participation is on the up in continental Europe, in contrast to NA I gather.

In regards to Noh and his ball on the wrong green: if  you had been in the immediate spectator gallery would you have called out prior to his backswing that he was in violation of the rules?

Lots of folks accept that silence is the best behaviour for a fan on the course.  Others take a more liberal approach, usually after a shot.  But here is question of actually helping a player so i feel it's a fuzzy region.

Of course, if  you had been a fellow competitor you would have the right, even responsibility, to speak up prior to an obvious rules violation.

• Administrator

In regards to Noh and his ball on the wrong green: if  you had been in the immediate spectator gallery would you have called out prior to his backswing that he was in violation of the rules?

I would have. I believe it's in the spirit of the game to do so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Absolutely I would.

Our club works the 17th at Valhalla every time there is a tournament there.  At the last US Senior championship my wife was working by the green when two players both hit their ball into the bunker.  As one player was going to play his stroke, a guy in the gallery said he was hitting the wrong ball.  This was to my wife who did not know what to do.  The player hit the wrong ball, 2 stroke penalty.

Afterwards she asked the Rules Official if she should have said something, he said absolutely.  True its the player's responsibility, but there is no problem in saving a player from himself.

Remember the tournament a while back, it might have been Dufner, who when putting on the last green on Sunday, forgot to replace his ball mark before he holed out his short putt to win.  He got a two stroke penalty, but had a three shot lead, so he still won by one.  Anyway, if I was in the gallery I'd have yelled something.  Just think what would have happened if he had missed the putt.

Kostis, who was the on course announcer didn't think he had replaced his mark, but did not say anything.

Regards,

John

Speaking of 2-shot penalties, Chella Choi got one at Canadian Pacific Open. http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/choi-assessed-two-shot-penalty-wds-herself-instead/ She marked her ball with the coin diagonally right in front of marker. She put the ball back diagonally left in front of marker- maybe inch left of original. Short putt too. They showed her video (at link) and she refused to accept. Withdrew instead. She would've missed cut by one stroke with penalty. Without penalty/withdraw, she would've been one of 70 players to move on. With penalty/withdraw, the field expanded to 87.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

For sure. And he would have thanked me for it.

I would have replied: " Noh worries, mate."

I would also yell out if a player didn't move his ball back after marking it a putter length away.

For sure. And he would have thanked me for it. I would have replied: " Noh worries, mate."

Not to be a dick or anything, but I'd like to let you know that any and all "Noh" puns are copyrighted by @RJH999 ;-)

Riley

Not to be a dick or anything, but I'd like to let you know that any and all "Noh" puns are copyrighted by @RJH999

Whoops. Sorry. :-)

I can see how there might be confusion. It's not against the rules to hit a wedge from the green. You see it happen occasionally of tour, especially at a place like Riviera #6 with the donut green. However, I think most of us weekend hacks would (almost) never consider playing a wedge from the green for fear of hurting it. I wouldn't be surprised if for regular play, Riviera has a local rule prohibiting wedges on that green. I could see how a pro may just assume that the common sense that everybody has to not hit from a different green falls under the same local umbrella. "Whelp, I'm in the big leagues now, gotta hit big league recovery shots."

I can see how there might be confusion. It's not against the rules to hit a wedge from the green. You see it happen occasionally of tour, especially at a place like Riviera #6 with the donut green. However, I think most of us weekend hacks would (almost) never consider playing a wedge from the green for fear of hurting it. I wouldn't be surprised if for regular play, Riviera has a local rule prohibiting wedges on that green.

I could see how a pro may just assume that the common sense that everybody has to not hit from a different green falls under the same local umbrella. "Whelp, I'm in the big leagues now, gotta hit big league recovery shots."

Don't make excuses for his actions - there are no excuses that will work for him.  As a hockey coach once said, "you can't fix stupid."

Don't make excuses for his actions - there are no excuses that will work for him.  As a hockey coach once said, "you can't fix stupid."

He's Korean. His name is Noh. He's a golfer. I'm already a fan.

Riley

It's not against the rules to hit a wedge from the green.

It's not? I thought the rule meant anytime you are on the wrong putting green, you must take relief? Edit: never mind, I get what you're saying. I suck at reading comprehension.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

In this case it wasn't stupid, rather ignorant. Ignorance can be fixed.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I've been on the wrong green a few times (some of them were so far off line that they are probably a record). :bugout: ;-) Even before I ever knew the rule I never hit a ball off of the wrong green because I figured the superintendant would throw me off of the course.

I've been on the wrong green a few times (some of them were so far off line that they are probably a record). :bugout: ;-) Even before I ever knew the rule I never hit a ball off of the wrong green because I figured the superintendant would throw me off of the course.

Right, and that's why I said I could see his confusion. Winning a PGA tournament takes precedence over pissing off a super, so I'm kind of guessing that's probably what he was thinking.

I didn't know about that rule. Not surprised they didn't know about it. Seems pretty obscure.

Did you know that if a temporary (winter) green is in play, the regular green is a wrong green.
In addition, if a temporary green has been prepared but is not in play, it is also a wrong green.

Note: This thread is 3528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!