IGNORED

Reclined airline seats debate

ditchparrot19
Note: This thread is 3518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you recline your seat on an airplane?

• Yes
    • No

• Administrator
Erik you couldn't be more wrong. The seats aren't hinged. If you recline the seat that my knees are already touching it pushed more on my knees. If what you stated is true, then how can my knees crammed against a seat prevent the seat from reclining? Unusual for you, but you're totally wrong on that.

I'm not wrong. If the head moves 2 inches the area near your knees moves about half an inch. The hinge is near the base. [quote name="Vinsk" url="/t/76919/reclined-airline-seats-debate/60#post_1050690"]Also, poor logic regarding 2" no comfort no discomfort. If I pressed a 2x4 against your knee lightly, then without moving your knee I pressed it another 2"...you'd be pretty uncomfortable.[/quote] A) the seat doesn't move 2 inches at your knees. B) 2 inches can change the level of comfort. [quote name="Vinsk" url="/t/76919/reclined-airline-seats-debate/60#post_1050690"]When my knees are pressed against a seat, I can't shift at all, I'm stuck. Expecting someone to put up with the seats as they are especially when they're average size isn't asking much.[/quote] That is a minority opinion. Many disagree. [quote name="Vinsk" url="/t/76919/reclined-airline-seats-debate/60#post_1050690"]But to actually cause significant discomfort to someone so you can recline a couple of inches is Assanine. You really blew this one. Dead wrong about the seats.[/quote] Please go back and reread my few posts in this thread. I never said that I have ever reclined when someone's knees were even close to touching the back of my seat. I recline about 10% of the time I'm on a plane that offers reclining as an option. BTW please quote the parts to which you're responding. I think you missed the part where I pointed out a logical issue with your argument. (you said that 2 inches doesn't matter for comfort. I simply flipped that around and said then it shouldn't matter for discomfort either.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The seats aren't hinged.

If they're not hinged, you're not reclining. You'd just be sliding back.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Correct me if I'm wrong but two of the three recent issues were because of the trays- not leg room. In one case a woman was resting her head on a pillow on the tray. In another, a guy was using his laptop on the tray.

I'm sure the tray stayed where it was, but the seat came into contact with the woman's head or the laptop screen, from what I understand.

The talk of legroom might be overblown- it seems to me it's just as much about your "personal space" in front of your body. Some can feel invaded by the top of the seat encroaching on them above the tray.

That said, not a big deal to me. Recline away. I typically choose not to recline myself because of the chance it would bug the hell out of someone. Life's too short to add drama at 30,000 feet in a tiny tube.

You're wrong, he said with tongue firmly planter in cheek.  The recent issues were not because of trays or legroom ... they were because of idiots. ;)

But, seriously, I don't know about the other two issues, you are probably right.

But in my experience - and I'm on the bigger side - no amount of seat reclining or tray jostling or silent farting or headrest grabbing or aisle standing or rushing to get on the plane or rushing to get off the plane is enough to make me stress out and raise my blood pressure.  I've got enough issues as it is. :)

• Administrator
But in my experience - and I'm on the bigger side - no amount of seat reclining or tray jostling or silent farting or headrest grabbing or aisle standing or rushing to get on the plane or rushing to get off the plane is enough to make me stress out and raise my blood pressure.  I've got enough issues as it is. :)

Indeed. All too often these days people seem to be awfully eager to get ticked off at something or another. I prefer, as you do, to just go with the flow.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Childish. I'm not fat. You I could handle with ease. I fly first class because I spent years in school to earn the money to do it. It's my opinion and I haven't read anything convincing me reducing another persons limited space is an ok thing to do. You assumed I'm fat, I'll just assume you're a low income uneducated plug. Fair enough?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Give us a break. Many people have back issues and need to recline. You're a jerk declaring a discussion is over per your views. The airlines install them, people use them. Simple. You're a big guy? probably fat and over weight so we can't recline and up upset you're fat a** Unbelievable !

[quote name="Vinsk" url="/t/76919/reclined-airline-seats-debate/40_40#post_1050731"]Childish. I'm not fat. You I could handle with ease. I fly first class because I spent years in school to earn the money to do it. It's my opinion and I haven't read anything convincing me reducing another persons limited space is an ok thing to do. You assumed I'm fat, I'll just assume you're a low income uneducated plug. Fair enough?[/quote] [IMG]http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/198/065/vlcsnap-2011-11-10-19h19m39s159.png[/IMG]

Riley

You're a big guy? probably fat and over weight so we can't recline and up upset you're fat a**

Unbelievable !

Well, one thing's for sure -- you're redundant as hell.

All fat people are overweight and vice versa.

John

In one case a woman was resting her head on a pillow on the tray.

That sounds like too many in-flight gin and tonics.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinsk

Nope. Never recline. It's not like you get such an amazing amount of comfort by the few inches you get when reclining. However, for big guys like me every single inch of leg room matters. Reclining is rude and selfish. Period. No argument. Discussion closed.

If you recline, you're just a jerk. You're much like the people who cut lines, hit two tee balls when a group is waiting, etc. No, be quiet .... No argument. Discussion over.

Give us a break. Many people have back issues and need to recline. You're a jerk declaring a discussion is over per your views. The airlines install them, people use them. Simple.

You're a big guy? probably fat and over weight so we can't recline and up upset you're fat a**

Unbelievable !

Childish. I'm not fat. You I could handle with ease. I fly first class because I spent years in school to earn the money to do it. It's my opinion and I haven't read anything convincing me reducing another persons limited space is an ok thing to do. You assumed I'm fat, I'll just assume you're a low income uneducated plug. Fair enough?

Gentlemen.  Please chill a bit.  This can be a calm, logical discussion and you should not resort to name calling and insults.  You can and will be restricted from the thread if it continues.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

That sounds like too many in-flight gin and tonics.

Au contraire mon ami........that sounds like just the right number of in-flight gin and tonics! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

Here's a solution...

Require all passengers to recline, then all will be equidistant.

I wouldn't have a problem if the seats simply didn't recline at all. Some airlines have done this, I think.

I guess I'll make a trade.

To anyone concerned - I'll stop reclining for a minor bit of comfort for you.  In return, when you are sitting next to me, I'd like you to pull your arms and elbows in over your legs and keep them off of the armrests (for that matter, from pushing over into my seat space) we are sharing.

Clearly using an arm rest is incredibly discourteous and intrusive - fat and sweat, etc.  I know the airline provided you half an arm rest but seriously, just for the comfort of those on either side of you since you can't seem to only use one half (plus a courteous extra space to keep from touching).

this is about the most equivalent argument I can make.

(I wonder how many of those that want to ban reclining were outraged that they couldn't smoke when the airlines cut that ban in - rightly so - put it in perspective - smoking was the worst of all - makes being upset about a slightly tilted seat seem like a petty little thing)

actually - I wouldn't care to recline if the seat wasn't shaped to push the skull forward two inches - the neck isn't built to have a couple right angles forced into it

Seriously, what the heck kind of masochistic torturer wannabe designed this thing?  Are they completely angry with humanity?

Bill - 

Taking an international flight in a few hours, will be reclining my seat, and will not ask anyone for permission to do so.. Unless the airlines stop this feature, but that means I am SOL! I'm sure people will be complaining more about my 3 kids under 5 before they do about the seats, but that is for another discussion!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Taking an international flight in a few hours, will be reclining my seat, and will not ask anyone for permission to do so.. Unless the airlines stop this feature, but that means I am SOL!

I'm sure people will be complaining more about my 3 kids under 5 before they do about the seats, but that is for another discussion!

Not really, in the attempt to keep airline tickets low, airplanes have been reduced to human cattle cars.  Seats are smaller (despite statistic trends which state we're taller and more obese), less legroom and just about every flight is filled or it gets cancelled.

I don't mind kids if they are well mannered, in reach of a parent and don't kick the persons seat in front of them the entire time.  In any case, the problem isn't really the kids, it's the parents who don't know how to discipline their kids.

Joe Paradiso

Taking an international flight in a few hours, will be reclining my seat, and will not ask anyone for permission to do so.. Unless the airlines stop this feature, but that means I am SOL! I'm sure people will be complaining more about my 3 kids under 5 before they do about the seats, but that is for another discussion!

Lord, 3 kids under fives? I'd rather die. For months I've advocated all kids get shipped off to Guam until their 13.

Riley

Not really, in the attempt to keep airline tickets low, airplanes have been reduced to human cattle cars.  Seats are smaller (despite statistic trends which state we're taller and more obese), less legroom and just about every flight is filled or it gets cancelled. I don't mind kids if they are well mannered, in reach of a parent and don't kick the persons seat in front of them the entire time.  In any case, the problem isn't really the kids, it's the parents who don't know how to discipline their kids.

I agree to a certain extent.. But when the kids are 2 or 3 there is very little the parents can do in terms of discipline in my opinion! Especially if it is hysterical crying for example, or just yelling and excitement! The majority of stories of parents being deboarded have been for kids crying without stop.. I try and make sure I have snacks, water and juice and they are clean, if thy are still crying then I'm really just unlucky! [quote name="RJH999" url="/t/76919/reclined-airline-seats-debate/80_10#post_1050877"] Lord, 3 kids under fives? I'd rather die. For months I've advocated all kids get shipped off to Guam until their 13.[/quote] They are the pearls of my eyes, you'll understand someday! ;) 2 boys and a littler princess.. Who's name is translated into princess by the way, but that is OT! "Ameera"

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

(I wonder how many of those that want to ban reclining were outraged that they couldn't smoke when the airlines cut that ban in - rightly so - put it in perspective - smoking was the worst of all - makes being upset about a slightly tilted seat seem like a petty little thing)

What was that, like 30-plus years ago? I didn't do a lot of flying back then and if I did, I would've been all for the ban. Most people who smoked back then are dead.

In any case, the problem isn't really the kids, it's the parents who don't know how to discipline their kids.

Yep, just like in most other instances, the parents are at fault when children are a problem.

John

Note: This thread is 3518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!