IGNORED

Golf Ball Uncertainty - That Time Again

Note: This thread is 3587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Surprisingly, these balls perform pretty well too. My only complaint about these balls is that after three or four holes, they begin to feel a little too hard. Same with the Snake Eyes balls from Golfsmith.

The premium golf balls, all the name brands, seem to last at least eight times as long.

I pay about .80 for the cheaper ones, and 1.50 for used premium ones (ball mongers, or free if I find them) to $4 brand new. Premium ones seem to last 3 or 4 rounds, before taking on that "unusable" feel to them.

I have played each of the Gamers and the Maxfli U/3, which is my current ball.  I have not noticed a different feel to any of those balls after a few holes, but I typically lose a ball or two each round on the course I regularly play which has some blind shots and plenty of hazards.  I have never had the same ball for 3 or 4 rounds so I cannot comment on that!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have played each of the Gamers and the Maxfli U/3, which is my current ball.  I have not noticed a different feel to any of those balls after a few holes, but I typically lose a ball or two each round on the course I regularly play which has some blind shots and plenty of hazards.  I have never had the same ball for 3 or 4 rounds so I cannot comment on that!

I've played the original Gamer and the Gamer V2 and thought they were very good though my golf game at the time wasn't.  I haven't tried them in last few years but have heard a number of complaints that the most recent iteration of them isn't as good as the old ones.  I was wondering if you experienced the same?

Joe Paradiso

As long as they make the middle of the road Titleist, I'll be ok. I love the NXT Tour and Tour S. I refuse to pay what Prov1 and Prov1x cost. I've played Bridgestone (e5 thru e7) and Callaway Hex Chrome and Black. I think most of the mid-priced balls are very similar. Heck, I think probably one of the best balls I ever played was the Pinnacle gold LS. I think sometimes when we try a new ball and we're not playing very well we blame it on the ball when that's not really the case.

I have a couple different balls that I like.

I like Pro V1s and V1xs, but won't buy them.

Bridgestone e6's and e7's work well with me too, but lately I've been playing Nike ONE RZNs since they've been on sale.

I just came to the forum to complain about this ball.  I bought a box a couple days ago and just finished playing 9 with them... it's my new "shittiest ball I've ever used".  lol  For real, if I wasn't such a cheapskate I'd have thrown these things in the garbage by the 4th hole.  Horrible, horrible feel.. like mush stuck to the club and almost every hit felt like a mis-hit to me.  Performance-wise I don't think I can complain but the feel was just horrible.  I would trade someone the rest of these for a pack of Wilson Ultras in a heartbeat.

The sad thing is I've found a Nike balls in the past and any time I used one to get idea of how the brand is I was never impressed.  Since these are on sale at Dick's I figured it was worth a shot and wow what a bad experience.  I can almost guarantee I'll never buy another Nike ball after this.  Here is the exact model I tried:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17377956&lmdn;=Brand&cp;=4413989

I just came to the forum to complain about this ball.  I bought a box a couple days ago and just finished playing 9 with them... it's my new "shittiest ball I've ever used".  lol  For real, if I wasn't such a cheapskate I'd have thrown these things in the garbage by the 4th hole.  Horrible, horrible feel.. like mush stuck to the club and almost every hit felt like a mis-hit to me.  Performance-wise I don't think I can complain but the feel was just horrible.  I would trade someone the rest of these for a pack of Wilson Ultras in a heartbeat.

The sad thing is I've found a Nike balls in the past and any time I used one to get idea of how the brand is I was never impressed.  Since these are on sale at Dick's I figured it was worth a shot and wow what a bad experience.  I can almost guarantee I'll never buy another Nike ball after this.  Here is the exact model I tried:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17377956&lmdn;=Brand&cp;=4413989

I shot the best round of my life using one of them lol

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Don't worry, there will be a ball for you.

I have been playing golf a little over 40 years, and since about 1979, I have been around a 15 handicap or better. Probably never better than 10 nor worse than 15-16. Day in, day out, I can usually find a $20 ball that works for me. Right now, my mainstays are Titleist SoLo's, Wilson Duo, and Callaway Supersoft.

I will occasionally use a premium ball for a tournament or something (or if I get them as a gift). There was a time when I thought I "needed" a premium ball, but I don't think anyone with a hcp over 5-6 "needs" one, although there may be certain characteristics of given ball that you like and consequently give you confidence. If so, go for it!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Don't worry, there will be a ball for you.

I have been playing golf a little over 40 years, and since about 1979, I have been around a 15 handicap or better. Probably never better than 10 nor worse than 15-16. Day in, day out, I can usually find a $20 ball that works for me. Right now, my mainstays are Titleist SoLo's, Wilson Duo, and Callaway Supersoft.

I will occasionally use a premium ball for a tournament or something (or if I get them as a gift). There was a time when I thought I "needed" a premium ball, but I don't think anyone with a hcp over 5-6 "needs" one, although there may be certain characteristics of given ball that you like and consequently give you confidence. If so, go for it!

I found three of them on the course, and used them a couple weeks ago (they are now used in the backyard hitting cage). These work really nicely too! The main thing is that thy are softer than most other balls. My son noticed their softness when hitting in our "cage".

But I have probably a few years supply of Pro-V1/x, and don't need to buy any more for a while. Plus when I lose one, I seem to find two.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've played the original Gamer and the Gamer V2 and thought they were very good though my golf game at the time wasn't.  I haven't tried them in last few years but have heard a number of complaints that the most recent iteration of them isn't as good as the old ones.  I was wondering if you experienced the same?

Not as of last year (2013).  I did switch to the Gamer Tour for most of 2013 and played the previous year's Gamers until they ran out.  I played 9 holes with a Gamer Soft this year and thought it was a fine ball.

Less people lose the "Top Flights", because they spin less and therefore slice/hook less. I also find lots of Pro-V1/x balls where I play, and I play public courses. No BS.

I think that fewer  people lose Top-Flite because fewer people play them.  I have found plenty of ProV1s on the course and it is not uncommon to play with people using a ProV1.  But I do not think I have ever found a Top-FliteGamer on the course or had another player say they were playing it,on the first tee.

But if you DO find one, it's mine. :-P

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I think that fewer  people lose Top-Flite because fewer people play them.  I have found plenty of ProV1s on the course and it is not uncommon to play with people using a ProV1.  But I do not think I have ever found a Top-FliteGamer on the course or had another player say they were playing it,on the first tee.

But if you DO find one, it's mine.

I found a gamer-V2, next time I see you it's yours. :beer:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 1 month later...

I suspect but can't prove that in this world there are very few golf ball factories.   Each factory cranks out balls for many brands according to recipes, secret or common.  Simply reprogram the computer to stamp any name; change paint cans; box shape, etc.

Now it may be that some of those factories make only top grade balls and other focus on 2nd or 3rd rank offerings. Who knows?

You can always find a golf ball you like to play even if the one you play is no longer in production. You may spend more, or less, but it's there.

As to golf ball factories, I once heaed that Nike leased out another OEM's factory. When Nike time approached, the factory was shut down, the formulas altered for the Nike Ball, and voila, you have a completely different ball. Same factory, different formula. So no, it's not smoke and mirrors ... or paint and logo.

It is true that not all companies have a golf ball plant...they aren't cheap to build or equip, plus maintain them.  Nike is obviously the biggest example of this, but then again Nike doesn't manufacture anything...all of their products are farmed out.  They do have their own design team and R&D; dept, so they develop their golf balls just like other companies, but they have another manufacturer produce them.  For a number of years Bridgestone manufactured all of Nike's golf balls, but now they use several companies. Bridgestone also manufactures the Nicklaus golf ball line.

Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade and Srixon have plants either in the U.S. or overseas.  Companies that don't have their own plant will either contract with one of the manufacturers to produce a ball to their specs that they have designed, or the manufacturer might consult on the design.  Lately there seems to be a lot of new boutique ball companies popping up that might have only one or two models and it's unlikely they have the resources to have an R&D; team or ball designers on staff so they usually get help from the manufacturers.  It's a considerable investment for an item that retails for roughly $20-$47 per dozen!

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 3587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!