IGNORED

Peyton Manning the Greatest QB?

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is Peyton Manning the Greatest QB Ever?

• Yes
    • No

Except for the wins!!!!   Winning is all the matters!

Football is a team sport.

Thanks for explaining why your post is irrelevant at the end there...

Again, by that measure, Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Tom Brady because his postseason winning % is higher.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Football is a team sport.  I find these GOAT arguments entertaining but really irrelevant.  I like watching the sport and the better players, but cheer for my team because it is my home town.  I like watching golf because I just like seeing great players play.

All time Wins--

1. Brett Favre

2. Peyton Manning

3. Tom Brady

8. Joe Montana

20.  Bart Starr

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

This is why Peyton wins

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1603

Ryan M

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Football is a team sport.  I find these GOAT arguments entertaining but really irrelevant.  I like watching the sport and the better players, but cheer for my team because it is my home town.  I like watching golf because I just like seeing great players play.

All time Wins--

1. Brett Favre

2. Peyton Manning

3. Tom Brady

8. Joe Montana

20.  Bart Starr

NFL starting quarterback playoff records

Quarterbacks Sorted by 1st - Most Wins 2nd - Fewest Losses 3rd - Most Championships

Rank Quarterback Games
Started
Wins Losses Percent Teams Championship
Season(s)
Ref
1 Tom Brady 26 18 8 .692
Patriots**
2001, 2003, 2004 [2]
2 Joe Montana 23 16 7 .696
49ers** (14-5)
Chiefs (2-2)
1981, 1984, 1988, 1989 [3]
3 Terry Bradshaw 19 14 5 .737
Steelers**
1974, 1975, 1978, 1979 [4]
4 John Elway 21 14 7 .667
Broncos**
1997, 1998 [5]
5 Brett Favre 24 13 11 .542
Packers (12-10)
Vikings (1-1)
1996 [6]
6 Troy Aikman 15 11 4 .733
Cowboys**
1992, 1993, 1995 [7]
7 Roger Staubach 17 11 6 .647
Cowboys**
1971, 1977
8 Peyton Manning 23 11 12 .478
Colts (9-10)
Broncos (2-2)
2006 [8]
9 Ben Roethlisberger 14 10 4 .714
Steelers**
2005, 2008 [9]
10 Bart Starr 10 9 1 .900
Packers↑
Packers**
1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967
1966, 1967
[10]

This is like a tennis match! :dance:

Career Wins Sorted by winning %.

Rank Quarterback Seasons StarIconBronze.png Teams Team
Wins
Team
Losses
Career
Wins
Career
Losses
Ties Pct Ref. Updated
thru
Quarterbacks Ranked by Regular Season Wins, then Winning Percentage
3 Tom Brady 2000–present StarIconBronze.png New England 153 45 153 45 0 .773 [5] week 7
31 Roger Staubach 1969-1979 StarIconBronze.png Dallas 85 29 85 29 0 .746 [33]
8 Joe Montana 1979-1992 StarIconBronze.png San Francisco 100 39 117 47 0 .713 [10]
8 Joe Montana 1993-1994 Kansas City 17 8 117 47 0 .713 [10]
2 Peyton Manning 1998-2011 StarIconBronze.png Indianapolis Colts 141 67 172 74 0 .699 [4]
2 Peyton Manning 2012–present Denver 31 7 172 74 0 .699 [4] week 7
10 Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983 StarIconBronze.png Pittsburgh 107 51 107 51 0 .677 [12]
13 Ben Roethlisberger 2004–present StarIconBronze.png Pittsburgh 99 50 99 50 0 .664 [15] week 7

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

Quarterbacks Sorted by 1st - Most Wins 2nd - Fewest Losses 3rd - Most Championships

Nope because it shouldn't even be discussed, Wins are only a team stat. To say only QB's get the luxury of having wins count as anything defeats the purpose of even having a team. If that was the case, then only the QB should get a Superbowl ring right?

Heck I could say that Adam Vinatieri was more important to the Patriots than Tom Brady.

Quote:
By the time Vinatieri finished his final season with the Patriots in 2005, he had kicked 18 game-winning field goals with less than one minute remaining, including the postseason.

Two times Adam Vinatieri kicked game winning field goals for the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

Nope because it shouldn't even be discussed, Wins are only a team stat. To say only QB's get the luxury of having wins count as anything defeats the purpose of even having a team. If that was the case, then only the QB should get a Superbowl ring right?

Heck I could say that Adam Vinatieri was more important to the Patriots than Tom Brady.

Quote:
By the time Vinatieri finished his final season with the Patriots in 2005, he had kicked 18 game-winning field goals with less than one minute remaining, including the postseason.

Two times Adam Vinatieri kicked game winning field goals for the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Ha Ha!  You're funny.  Do you even cheer for Denver???????  Peyton broke the TD record, but someone had to catch those TDs, correct???  And all those other passes.  And block so he didn't get flattened.  And play defense so he could get back on the field.  And call in the plays.......

Scott

My Swing Thread

Nah, in tennis the rules are set before hand.  We don't agree on the rules, and even when I try to play by yours, you keep moving the net.

Once we move past discussing who is the better player and move into who played on the better teams, sure you can score some points.  Like regular season winning percentage-- even though your primary point in this discussion has been that the regular season doesn't matter.

Wait, doesn't this prove my point?  You agree that Peyton is better in the regular season, right?  Even though Tom Brady has a higher regular season winning percentage?  So winning percentage isn't the barometer of who is the better player.  Don't you have to agree with that?

But yes, Tom Brady has won many playoff games.  More than any other QB in history. Of course, he's also played in more than anybody else due to his team's regular season performance which, according to you, doesn't count for anything.  So if I accept your argument that only wins, and only the playoffs matter, then we should look at playoff win %'s, to avoid influence of the meaningless regular season, right?  Ok, so here it is the greatest QBs of all time, ranked according to your critera

T1 Frank Reich

T1 Glenn Presnell

T1 Irv Comp

T1 Paul Christman

.... ok we know where this is going.  So lets say you have to have at least played in 5 playoff games to count.

1. Bart Starr .900

T2. Sid Luckman .833

T2. Trent Dilfer

T4. Jim Plunkett .800

T4. Earl Morall

T4. Jeff Hostetler

T4 Russell Wilson

T8. Johnny Unitas .750

T8. Joe Theisman  .750

10. Terry Bradshaw .737

11. Troy Aikman .733

12. Eli Manning .727

T13. Ben Roethlisberger .714

T13. Mark Rypien

15. Joe Montana .696

T16. Kurt Warner .692

T16. Joe Flacco

T.16 Tom Brady

Peyton is way down the list, yes.  And if this were the be all end all, Trent Dilfer, Eli Manning and Ben Rothelisberger are better QBs than Tom Brady.  Or, perhaps, this isn't the best criteria to determine GOAT.  A factor?  Sure.  The most important factor?  Probably not.

What about super bowl winning % among those with multiple starts?  Because if playoffs are important, then super bowls are REALLY important.

T1 Montana, Bradsaw, Aikman, Starr, Plunkett, Eli Manning.

T6 Bob Griese, Ben Roethlisberger

8 Tom Brady

T14 Peyton Manning

Out of 19.

Again, I doubt you'd argue that Eli Manning, Big Ben, etc., are better than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

So looking at all the different ways you can slice it, its something like Peyton over Brady 15-3--a landslide--as the best of his generation.  To me, anyone who is the best of their generation is in the GOAT conversation, and its hard to really compare across eras.

And you could do the same with any stat, but the point is that Peyton is the top, or near the top of all of the important ones, and the knocks on him are always related to the factors that depend on his team more than his individual performance.  His mediocre win/loss record in the playoffs is literrally the ONLY knock on the guy, and its also the one that's most dependent on the rest of his team.  Meanwhile, he has played GREAT in the playoffs.   So its really not a valid critique of the guy.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Ha Ha!  You're funny.  Do you even cheer for Denver???????  Peyton broke the TD record, but someone had to catch those TDs, correct???  And all those other passes.  And block so he didn't get flattened.  And play defense so he could get back on the field.  And call in the plays.......

Nope, not really a Denver fan. I don't see what is funny. I am not the one who is mislabeling a stat towards a QB and not a team.

I never said TD's were not attributed to a team play. Heck WR get the Receiving TD stat as well.

Yet why do people say "Winning-est QB". Why don't they say "Winning-est RB of all time", or "Winning-est O-line of all time". All winning has to do with anything is team play, nothing else.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Surprised no one has looked up the DVOA numbers (until I did a few minutes ago :-)). I'll see if I can sum them up later, but they're pretty close. Brady wins a few years, Manning wins a few years. Some years neither of them win.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

This is like a tennis match!

Sure, if a tennis match consists of one side serving a tennis ball, while the other throws a beach ball over the net.

Your argument is akin to saying Tiger Woods can't be considered one of the best ever because the US doesn't win as many Ryder Cups...

Ryan M

Quote:

This is like a tennis match!

Sure, if a tennis match consists of one side serving a tennis ball, while the other throws a beach ball over the net.

Your argument is akin to saying Tiger Woods can't be considered one of the best ever because the US doesn't win as many Ryder Cups...

That is because you @saevel25 and @dsc123 keep using circular logic.  You serve the ball to the other court.  You're pathological hatred of Tom Brady has clouded your judgement. :-) First only stats matter.  Then only wins.  Then stats again!  Then regular season, then playoffs.  Then total wins, then win %. Then back to stats.  I'm sure your favorite team's GM would give their left nut for either Brady or Manning.  I think they are both terrific QBs.  I am lucky that the team I cheer for has one of them.

Scott

My Swing Thread

That is because you @saevel25  and @dsc123 keep using circular logic.  You serve the ball to the other court.  You're pathological hatred of Tom Brady has clouded your judgement.    First only stats matter.  Then only wins.  Then stats again!  Then regular season, then playoffs.  Then total wins, then win %. Then back to stats.  I'm sure your favorite team's GM would give their left nut for either Brady or Manning.  I think they are both terrific QBs.  I am lucky that the team I cheer for has one of them.

Nope, it isn't circular. I've made my point clear. Wins are a team stat only. I have not deviated from that position.

I never said I hated Tom Brady. Seems you think I do. I guess if you want to assume thinking Peyton is better than Brady means I hate Brady, then go ahead. But all that is an unfounded assumption. Though he did play for *ichigan, so that is already a strike on him :whistle: .

I would say Tom Brady is the 2nd best QB in the past 15 years.

If I had to rank them

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Still I wont overestimate Tom's abilities because he was lucky enough to be drafted by one of the Best Coaches of all time, and played on a more complete TEAM than Peyton has.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

This is like tennis, but that practice tennis where you just hit the ball against the wall and it comes right back to you. Do you not know what circular logic is or do you just not read anything that contradicts your opinions? You claimed Peyton did not perform in the playoffs. I showed stats proving that to be false. So you responded by claiming only wins matter, I disagree but showed you that Peyton has more wins than brady anyway. Then you responded with playoff wins being the reason why Peyton isn't the goat, and I showed why playoff wins do not reflect who the best player is. This is called "proving you wrong with facts" not "circular logic". That's why you keep responding by attacking the messenger with claims of bias. Of course our teams would love to have either. I compare manning to brady because brady is the 2nd best qb of his generation. Any team except peytons would love to have brady. Are you sure that it isn't you that is blinded by your love for the golden boy, finding it necessary to deny peytons greatness in the face of all these facts?

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

That is because you @saevel25  and @dsc123 keep using circular logic.  You serve the ball to the other court.  You're pathological hatred of Tom Brady has clouded your judgement.    First only stats matter.  Then only wins.  Then stats again!  Then regular season, then playoffs.  Then total wins, then win %. Then back to stats.  I'm sure your favorite team's GM would give their left nut for either Brady or Manning.  I think they are both terrific QBs.  I am lucky that the team I cheer for has one of them.

Are you delusional? You're just making stuff up...no circular logic, and I don't hate Brady. He's a great QB.

I never said only wins matter, you did. And kept emphasizing. I also never differentiated regular season/playoffs...until YOU did.

Dude, re-read the thread because you're the only one with a bias, and the only one spinning in circles.

If we served the ball to the other court, it's because we got tired of you catching the ball, throwing it over the fence behind you, peeing in the corner, and then proclaiming victory...

Ryan M

I've re-read the thread and have come to the conclusion that we need more tennis analogies.  Manning is a great QB, but not the best ever.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I've re-read the thread and have come to the conclusion that we need more tennis analogies.  Manning is a great QB, but not the best ever.

Yes he is. *drop shot*

Ryan M

Quote:

Yes he is. *drop shot*

Fault!  Just missed getting that one in.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!