IGNORED

Ted Bishop removed from office for calling Ian Poulter a lil girl

Hammer 4
Note: This thread is 3485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If Ted and Ian were best of friends, and Ian had said something funny in response I would agree that it would be funny. Ian did not sound like he appreciated it, and Ted did not sound like he was stating it in the "best spirit" of the game.

It doesn't just depend upon the audience, it depends upon the relationship between the individuals at hand and the intent of the words cast.

If someone said "You got your putter caught in your skirt" to one of the people I was playing in a foursome a couple weeks ago, I can guarantee that I would have been putting my EMT (ski patrol) expertise to work trying to stabilize the person who said it. Not everyone has a good sense of humor.

The real issue is Bishop was President of the PGA.  I commented that Poulters comment put Bishop in checkmate because he cast the spot light onto the PGA BOD.  They had no choice but to discipline Bishop since a failure to act would be seen as condoning the use of the terms which would have been the demise of each of them at the hands of the PC police and media.

We all should be careful about what we say around people we don't know but people in the public eye should really subscribe to less is more when it comes to social media or public appearances.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The real issue is Bishop was President of the PGA.  I commented that Poulters comment put Bishop in checkmate because he cast the spot light onto the PGA BOD.  They had no choice but to discipline Bishop since a failure to act would be seen as condoning the use of the terms which would have been the demise of each of them at the hands of the PC police and media.

We all should be careful about what we say around people we don't know but people in the public eye should really subscribe to less is more when it comes to social media or public appearances.

Even if he were the POTUS, I would think he could rib one of his friends in public.

The only issue was that Ian did not respond like he was all that happy to be ribbed by Ted. My conclusions are that either Ted really said it in a demeaning manner, or that Ian is the most unpredictable man Ted's ever met. :-X

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Even if he were the POTUS, I would think he could rib one of his friends in public.

The only issue was that Ian did not respond like he was all that happy to be ribbed by Ted. My conclusions are that either Ted really said it in a demeaning manner, or that Ian is the most unpredictable man Ted's every met.

I don't know about that, it's a bit of a reach even for a POTUS.  I think the PC movement is so strong at this moment that even Obama would get his hand slapped for making a comment like that if the media were there to capture it on video and broadcast it.

Joe Paradiso

I don't know about that, it's a bit of a reach even for a POTUS.  I think the PC movement is so strong at this moment that even Obama would get his hand slapped for making a comment like that if the media were there to capture it on video and broadcast it.

What if Ian had simply ***ribbed Ted back in response, would that have changed the outcome?

***Making the assumption that they are really good friends.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think the PC movement is so strong at this moment that even Obama would get his hand slapped for making a comment like that if the media were there to capture it on video and broadcast it.

Saying "even Obama" is a really odd way to put that.  If you polled the "gotcha" media people and asked them who they'd want to catch saying something stupid, I would say it's a pretty safe bet that the President of the United States (no matter who it was) would be, far and away, the winner of that poll.

Saying "even Obama" is a really odd way to put that.  If you polled the "gotcha" media people and asked them who they'd want to catch saying something stupid, I would say it's a pretty safe bet that the President of the United States (no matter who it was) would be, far and away, the winner of that poll.

Well FOX would call him out on it for sure, but I wonder if the rest of the mainstream media would cover it.   Maybe the PC police do have more clout than Obama these days.

There's a book coming out, "Stonewalled: My Fight for Truth Against the Forces of Obstruction, Intimidation and Harassment in Obama's Washington" written by an ex- CBS investigative journalist, Sharyl Attkisson.  In the book Sharyl  addresses the blatant media bias toward the president and his administration.

Conversely I'm sure GW did some of the same things so I'm not saying only one side uses dirty tactics to control the media.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Ted Bishop will be live and in-studio on Morning Drive Tuesday morning for his first television interview since being removed as president of the PGA of America. Gary Williams will conduct the interview with Bishop, who is scheduled to appear on the show during the 8AM ET hour.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Ted Bishop will be live and in-studio on Morning Drive Tuesday morning for his first television interview since being removed as president of the PGA of America. Gary Williams will conduct the interview with Bishop, who is scheduled to appear on the show during the 8AM ET hour.

Thanks Mike, I'll have to make sure I watch it.  I wonder if he's going to unload on the PGA BOD or if he's going to try to do damage control.

Joe Paradiso

Thanks Mike, I'll have to make sure I watch it.  I wonder if he's going to unload on the PGA BOD or if he's going to try to do damage control.

I think since he's already fired he's going rogue and throwing everyone under the bus :w00t:

Nah, probably damage control.

Mike McLoughlin

Both. As far as the PGA BOD is concerned, they threw him under the bus and he has already said as much. He won't step back from that. The damage control will be for his own public image..

Bill M

• Administrator
I was responding to those who thought it was ok to be degrading to women as long as it is done in private.

So now it's "degrading" to women?

I disagree. I think the PGA massively overstepped. I think that his comment was not something he should have said, but to act as if it's the worst thing to happen women the HOUR he said it is a massive over-statement.

Sorry, not buying the "degrading to women" bit. It wasn't cool, but there's a lot of real estate between "not cool" and "degrading."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is interesting. 33 weeks ago. "Girlie shaft".

http://instagram.com/p/lOPxW2pg8U/?modal=true

Mike McLoughlin

Comment was nothing but it was pathetic to be drawn in to efforts to sell Poultry's book. Comments are made like this every day on the golf course but god forbid it be in black and white where women could see it. Men are *******'s to each other all the time. Written proof of unprofessionalism = death sentence. Same statement said to colleagues weekly without proof = good ol boy humor. Do you think the chicken rights people will be mad at me for referring poulter as poultry?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

So now it's "degrading" to women? I disagree. I think the PGA massively overstepped. I think that his comment was not something he should have said, but to act as if it's the worst thing to happen women the HOUR he said it is a massive over-statement. Sorry, not buying the "degrading to women" bit. It wasn't cool, but there's a lot of real estate between "not cool" and "degrading."

I agree with you that the PGA went way overboard on this. Enough so that there must be some other back story involved. The punishment does not fit the crime. On your other point we will agree to disagree. I feel like anytime you use a person or a group of people as a way to slam or insult someone else it is degrading. Whether that is gays, blacks or women. I farther believe that it is in poor taste even if the buddies I am with at the moment all use that kind of language. It is an interesting discussion. We all came from different situations and our past and present setting shapes how we look at things like this. My grandfather grew up in a in a time in this country when racial discrimination was accepted. Some of the comments I remember him saying make me cringe. The fact that they seemed normal and acceptable to him did not make them right. Anyway, this conversation has grown in scope far beyond golf and the PGA. It can far more simply be summed up as "Friends don't let friends drink and tweet."

Respectfully,

Both. As far as the PGA BOD is concerned, they threw him under the bus and he has already said as much. He won't step back from that. The damage control will be for his own public image..

I agree, he has to do some damage control and deflect some of the blame of his firing on past grudges that the BOD held against him for his anchored putter position.   I don't know what the next career step would be for a former PGA President but I have to think he's got to secure his job with Legends first.

Joe Paradiso

Bishop tweeted at 5.38pm and Poulter's first repsonse is timed at 11.04am (not sure where in the world that was and what the corresponding time zone adjustment would be)

"I guess we can only have opinions if you have won a major or 6 at least I'm happy being irrelevant"

I think Poulter's much, much more put out at being told that his views don't count for anything because he's not a good enough golfer (an arguably stranger position for the President of the USPGA to adopt incidentally, given that 99% of him membership won't have done). There's a complete absence of any geneder politics in his first response (perhaps the one that most reflects his own views and feelings?)

One of poluters next tweets suggests he's on a different time zone (China?)

"Wow that's a busy inbox this morning. What's just happened. Time to read for 30 mins and get back to you all.!"

Basically he's being peppered with media requests for a response and presumably he's now in contact with his PR people and managers formulating a response. He could, one assumes throw Bishop a lifeline if he chose, but this is still Ryder Cup residue, this is the USPGA, and Poulter is probably affronted. Instead he feigns a mock indignation whilst also seizing the higher moral ground. His response is a tweet that says "my response to at @ PGAofAmerica" and links to a Golf Channel press news story with the attributed quote "Is being called a "lil girl" meant to be derogatory or a put down? That's pretty shocking and disappointing, especially coming from the leader of the PGA of America. No further comment."

I think he sensed their was blood in the water and the chance to level the score, and when this was suggested to him, he's probably smiled, stroked his white cat, and pressed the button in the arm of his chair as Ted Bishop descends into the shark infested pool. Doubtless the first chapter of his next book will be entitled "how I took down the USPGA and won the Ryder Cup"

I agree with you that the PGA went way overboard on this. Enough so that there must be some other back story involved. The punishment does not fit the crime.

On your other point we will agree to disagree. I feel like anytime you use a person or a group of people as a way to slam or insult someone else it is degrading. Whether that is gays, blacks or women. I farther believe that it is in poor taste even if the buddies I am with at the moment all use that kind of language.

It is an interesting discussion. We all came from different situations and our past and present setting shapes how we look at things like this. My grandfather grew up in a in a time in this country when racial discrimination was accepted. Some of the comments I remember him saying make me cringe. The fact that they seemed normal and acceptable to him did not make them right.

Anyway, this conversation has grown in scope far beyond golf and the PGA. It can far more simply be summed up as "Friends don't let friends drink and tweet."

I am with iacas on this one. Don’t get me wrong, I think that Mr. Bishop’s behavior was extremely unbecoming of a man of his age and stature and for that alone he should have been admonished or even relieved of that position but to suggest that this was an egregious example of sexism is a bit of a stretch. Had he called Poulter a “woman” for the stand he was taking, then I would agree (totally sexist). But the implication of him calling Poulter (a grown man) a ”lil girl” was to suggest that his position is weak (and overly sensitive) as compared to Faldo’s. Are we really taking the position that it is discriminatory to women to suggest that a little girl is not as physically strong or as thick skinned as a grown man? Is it a bad thing if my seven year old daughter can’t bench press 25 lbs., cries when her friend has to go home for supper or squeals in the schoolyard because a bee landed near her?  One would expect her to do all of those things because that’s what little girls do. I’m sure not ALL little girls would do ALL of those things but the point is none of those things would be considered negative traits when attributed to a little girl. But to suggest that a grown man would behave the same would, in fact, be an insult to the grown man while saying absolutely nothing negative about little girls. That’s the common sense of it. But as usual the PC crowd has managed to jettison common sense as far overboard as possible. I have to wonder what women in Syria, Iraq and India would think of American female journalists and PGA officials calling something like this “extremely disturbing” and “appalling”. I think they might find those comments “OFFENSIVE”.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

On your other point we will agree to disagree. I feel like anytime you use a person or a group of people as a way to slam or insult someone else it is degrading. Whether that is gays, blacks or women. I farther believe that it is in poor taste even if the buddies I am with at the moment all use that kind of language.

No it's not.

Saying that someone is acting like a "little girl" is not degrading to women. If it's degrading to anyone, it's degrading to little girls. And then one must ask themselves: how do little girls act? Pretty much the same as little boys - lots of crying, stomping, and throwing fits. Begging. Etc.

It's called a simile. It's a way of comparing two things. Ted Bishop raised two daughters - perhaps he knows how "little girls" behave?

Inappropriate? Yes. Not cool? Yes. But degrading to women?!?! You've gotta be kidding me.

It is an interesting discussion. We all came from different situations and our past and present setting shapes how we look at things like this. My grandfather grew up in a in a time in this country when racial discrimination was accepted. Some of the comments I remember him saying make me cringe. The fact that they seemed normal and acceptable to him did not make them right.

You're conflating "wrong" and "degrading."

Too many people are looking for a reason to be offended. My wife's take: "That was stupid of him to say." That's it. When asked if it was offensive to her, or women, or even to little girls, she said no.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that Mr. Bishop’s behavior was extremely unbecoming of a man of his age and stature and for that alone he should have been admonished or even relieved of that position but to suggest that this was an egregious example of sexism is a bit of a stretch.

Agreed.

One would expect her to do all of those things because that’s what little girls do. I’m sure not ALL little girls would do ALL of those things but the point is none of those things would be considered negative traits when attributed to a little girl.

Right. Making a comparison is not "sexist" in and of itself - particularly when "little girls" do those kinds of things, and it's not bad or negative that they do.

Too many people are looking for reasons to be offended.

But to suggest that a grown man would behave the same would, in fact, be an insult to the grown man while saying absolutely nothing negative about little girls. That’s the common sense of it. But as usual the PC crowd has managed to jettison common sense as far overboard as possible. I have to wonder what women in Syria, Iraq and India would think of American female journalists and PGA officials calling something like this “extremely disturbing” and “appalling”. I think they might find those comments “OFFENSIVE”.

Uh huh.

Just posted this to The Facebook :

Too many people are looking for reasons to be offended about things.

Lighten up, people. Learn to brush the little things aside. Stop going out of your way to be offended. If you want to be offended, spend some energy tackling ACTUAL problems in society.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!