IGNORED

Why are Women such Bad Instructors?

Note: This thread is 3474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If it's anything like what I went through trying to play with a band when the rule was "no skirts in the band," no wonder there aren't more women golf instructors. The former is why you only see women as pop singers and rarely see us as guitarists and bass players despite playing ability. I got so turned off by the music business I just do my own thing writing techno and trance stuff now under a pseudonym.

I also know from the music business hearing from guys that their wives don't like it when there's a woman in the band. So I'm wondering about that being another reason for there not being the demand for the instructors because a guy's wife won't like it if they take lessons from a woman. I see a lot of guys going with their wives to watch their lessons from PGA guys though, so it makes me go... hmmmm. Trust issues abound.

I was looking for a LPGA instructor. There were none in the area. I later found one, but she's such a drive it's not worth it. Being single again I have no leashes. I'll take lessons from an instructor if they're good. If I'm not progressing, I'll find a new instructor.

I think one of the ways to find good instructors is to network. Join a club and network. The people in the club know the good and bad instructors in the area.

A woman won't ever be able to hit an average drive like Bubba Watson. We don't have the upper body strength unless we start juicing, and that will DQ us faster than anything, plus ruin lives. I think the tops you'll see is around 275 yds maybe 280.... maybe. Maybe someone will be 6'2" tall sometime, start playing at age 4, and have the timing and all of that. We're just not built for those extra 40 yards... and that's fine. But as LPGA players improve, the level of instruction given to young women will improve. I know the level of instruction and coaching given to women basketball players has improved dramatically since 1970 - it was a joke back then - today there are people like Geno @ UConn (was Pat Summit), and there are getting to be more of them. My guess is that it will improve with amateur women golfers as well in high school and college thanks to Title IX.

It will take another 20 years.

That's just my opinion.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Having taught women how to play softball, including novices, and girls how to play soccer, I will say that on average, women and girls are more patient students.  I would have no issue taking golf instruction from a woman instructor as long as she was good.

@DrvFrShow as for women rockers, Prince has no issue, and they are really talented.  My first band had a woman drummer, really good, and a woman bass player, pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My dad was a part-time teaching pro when I was a little kid.  My sister decides she wants to learn how to play.  My dad had taught exactly ZERO women how to swing a golf club.  After 2 lessons my sister gives up.  About 10 years later she marries a guy who is an avid golfer.  He hooked her up with a former LPGA professional, (you'd recognize the name) who had my sister beating the tar out of my brother in law on the course after about 2 seasons of lessons.

Context, I guess.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I'm not sure you understand what context means.-Whats the relevance of your post? Your sister was good at golf, and your dad was a lousy instructor? Im not saying that as obviously i have no clue who they are but thats what youve said-IN a way.[quote name="dave s" url="/t/78028/why-are-women-such-bad-instructors/18#post_1073715"] Context, I guess. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Having taught women how to play softball, including novices, and girls how to play soccer, I will say that on average, women and girls are more patient students.  I would have no issue taking golf instruction from a woman instructor as long as she was good.

@DrvFrShow as for women rockers, Prince has no issue, and they are really talented.  My first band had a woman drummer, really good, and a woman bass player, pretty good.

This particular chick can play in my band any day.

Kim Deal.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Well parents usually make very poor instructors. It requires them to not be parents during the sessions, which is very difficult for them to do. My father could make me hate doing anything.

Golf instruction in most cases is best handled outside the home.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Not the topic here though.-Thanks.[quote name="DrvFrShow" url="/t/78028/why-are-women-such-bad-instructors/18#post_1073785"]Well parents usually make very poor instructors. It requires them to not be parents during the sessions, which is very difficult for them to do. My father could make me hate doing anything. Golf instruction in most cases is best handled outside the home. [/quote] Im not convinced its just a numbers game.-Ive worked with and been around hundreds of instructors.-None of the women have ever even rated as moderately good and Ive given them all the benefit of the doubt as Ive tried to find some good female instructors-I think they can help get more players in the game and more men would do better to learn from women. Women often make good TEACHERS at school-My sister is a great high school teacher and adjunct college prof-but those are still kids so who knows...

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I find women who are attractive and intelligent to be captivating, but those that follow their own interests to be more so. This thread makes me think that if women don't find golf worth their time, I may want to stay loosely in touch with their thinking.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Not the topic here though.-Thanks.

Im not convinced its just a numbers game.-Ive worked with and been around hundreds of instructors.-None of the women have ever even rated as moderately good and Ive given them all the benefit of the doubt as Ive tried to find some good female instructors-I think they can help get more players in the game and more men would do better to learn from women.

Women often make good TEACHERS at school-My sister is a great high school teacher and adjunct college prof-but those are still kids so who knows...

Where do you think they are lacking? Knowledge, innovation, communication, ability to individualize instruction?

I'm barely on the fringe of the golfing world to say the least so I have no idea if they are any good or not. Never met one.

I've played quite a bit of golf with a couple of men ex-PGA pros but I don't really even know if they are/were any good or not (at teaching) either.

My guess is that one of them is probably pretty good at it, because he has the right demeanor, and the other one probably sucks because he only wonders why everybody can't hit the ball like he can and has little patience for those that can't.

I had a female instructor years ago at a John Jacobs school in the Phoenix area.  She was very helpful and gave me a tip that I still use.  Pretty sure her name was Jean Crawford.  After years of playing golf, about 20, why do men try to make the swing so complex and why are we such poor listeners?

I had a female instructor years ago at a John Jacobs school in the Phoenix area.  She was very helpful and gave me a tip that I still use.  Pretty sure her name was Jean Crawford.  After years of playing golf, about 20, why do men try to make the swing so complex and why are we such poor listeners?

Because we think we already know how to hit something, have been doing it all of our lives, and we don't necessarily trust that somebody else knows better.

The fact that none of that pertains to golf goes over our heads. ;-)

I don't agree with the OP's basic statement.

I have seen women teaching pros in action - one from a personal lesson, others teaching children, beginners,  or HS girls. And, I have seen two make presentations at golf expos. They seemed to have a grasp of the basics, and tended to be more relational and less mechanical in how they approached teaching the game.

If you look through recent issues of Golf Digest , women instructors are appearing more and more on the instruction pages.

From a human resources standpoint, I would like to see a checklist of competencies which the OP uses to rate good and bad golf instruction. His opening post is quite vague on this.

I think, in part, it's a numbers game - just not that many of them. Also, most women pros who run instruction cells tend to do so in a limited geographic area. Most don't have the international "marketing reach" of Hank Haney, David Leadbetter and Butch Harmon. For every Annika Sorenstam, there's dozens of women pros who are famous in their county, but not much beyond.

And, despite gains in recent years by women, golf is largely still a "boys club."

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Women in general rely on their emotions. This works great for a woman teaching a women but not so much between genders or a man teaching a women. Emotions also extremely handicap your golf game which is partially why women aren't good and are not playing very much on any tours or in general

Women in general rely on their emotions. This works great for a woman teaching a women but not so much between genders or a man teaching a women. Emotions also extremely handicap your golf game which is partially why women aren't good and are not playing very much on any tours or in general

Wow is all I can think of

Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you not a young man? What sort of people do you associate with?

This kind of garbage comes from the 18th ( or 1st) century. Grow up and get an education!!

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 3474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!