IGNORED

Are high spin balls beneficial to new players?

Note: This thread is 3601 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played golf today and I did OK but I was using Noodle Distance or Pinnacle Gold, and they rolled like crazy off the green several times, or they'ld roll over hills or off the rough into dense woods (and be unrecoverable).   I've sometimes wondered about the benefits of a ball that just bites into the ground and stops when it lands, but I'm sure there are drawbacks.  I'm curious to know what they are?   I know distance balls can be more forgiving of mishits, but how is the cost?  Any thoughts are welcome.

• Administrator

Sorry for the brevity.

Learn to hit the ball properly before you worry about a ball that bites. You could play with a marshmallow and it won't go high or spin and land softly if you're thinning, fatting, etc. the ball.

A lot of spin comes from speed, too. Height as well.

Get better. For now, buy cheap balls since you'll be losing them, hitting cart paths, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, they are not.... learn to play with the low end stuff before you make the jump... when you learn to strike the ball well enough, even the low end balls with stop on the greens... and learn to play with some roll out ...

It is what it is

Callaway Supersofts are good for the price. Plus they come in colors that may be easier to find. Maybe you'll want white for right now because of fall and all that.

If you're a member, head to Costco and grab a couple boxes of the Callaway Hex Controls. They're two dozen for $30. They're very decent balls.

But in the beginning you're going to lose a lot of balls, so when you lose one keep an eye out for freebies, and play those, too. It isn't going to matter until you start hitting the ball better.

It isn't worth buying Pro V1s. Not at your level. Not at mine.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I played golf today and I did OK but I was using Noodle Distance or Pinnacle Gold, and they rolled like crazy off the green several times, or they'ld roll over hills or off the rough into dense woods (and be unrecoverable).   I've sometimes wondered about the benefits of a ball that just bites into the ground and stops when it lands, but I'm sure there are drawbacks.  I'm curious to know what they are?   I know distance balls can be more forgiving of mishits, but how is the cost?  Any thoughts are welcome.

More forgiving how?

Do premium golf balls spin more off the driver, yep. It isn't as much as you think, about 400 RPM's on average.

Premium golf balls have much more spin off of wedge shots than anything. The reason being the Urethane cover versus the other cheaper materials non-premium golf balls use. This could mean as much as 3000 RPM worth of spin on wedge shots.

Premium golf balls are no more or less accurate than any other golf ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Buy the cheapest balls you can find, even buy recycled ones off the web. You won't see any benefit from better golf balls until your swing improves. There are no magic tools in golf and you can't buy a better game, believe me, I've tried. Only way to use money to get better is to spend it on good instruction.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I have a store that sells used balls on the internet close to me ... I get a bargain on golf balls ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

It sounds like aside from cost, there's no reason not to play urethane-covered balls?

Premium golf balls have much more spin off of wedge shots than anything. The reason being the Urethane cover versus the other cheaper materials non-premium golf balls use. This could mean as much as 3000 RPM worth of spin on wedge shots.

Why wouldn't I want more spin off wedge shots?

It sounds like aside from cost, there's no reason not to play urethane-covered balls?

Cost is a big thing. If you are a high handicap that losses 3-4 golf balls a round then it isn't economical. Also contact is a big issue as well. If you are not hitting the center of the clubface, then you will not get the spin you want.

Also it is more about controlling spin than actually maxing it out. Really it is knowing how the ball reacts that matters the most. So you can play a cheaper golf ball and still hit consistent shots. Just plan out for more roll out. It isn't a hard adjustment to make. Again ball striking is most important.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Because you won't get it until your mechanics improve so you'd just be wasting money by buying "fancy" balls. Many mid and even low handicap players rely more on trajectory than spin to hold greens. Learn to do this ->

...and you'll discover that you can hold greens without pro-level spin.

OTOH, if you have money to burn then go ahead and buy premium balls, but be careful because the more spinny balls can also exaggerate your hooks and slices too.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I guess for us high hcpers it just comes down to control. If you can't control your wedges then it's going to make absolutely no difference to you if you are using a cheap or expensive ball. Regards. Mailman

Mailman

There is no reason to choose from the extreme ends of the golf ball spin spectrum.  Most of us would have a problem with the way pure distance balls run across the greens like a rocket.  At the same time, and some disagree with this point,  some of us turn fades into slices with a high spin ball, and often stop the ball on a dime on the green about 40 feet from the pin since we do not have a high trajectory shot.  But there are some in betweens that just might give you an occasional advantage even as you learn.  My suggestion would be as follows:

Choose one of the many fine mid-spin balls including the following: Gamer, e5, e6, NXT Tour, SuperSoft, Gamer Soft, etc. and buy a bunch of then used - don't worry about mint condition, like most novices you are going to lose them.  What you now have is a decent ball that will perform for those good shots that you will make.  When you make a good approach shot you deserve a ball that will hold the green and not run into the next fairway.  And when you hit a long fade off the tee you want every chance of it staying in the fairway and not slicing into trouble.

Different golf balls are more compatable with different golf swings and there is no reason why novices should not use a ball that gives them every advantage.  Do not spend a bunch of money on golf balls but please do not believe that any old rock is good enough for you, or Titelist's claim that the "Prov1" will perform for you at $4/ball - that would be like advising you play blades or using a 1 iron from 220 out.

Your game will come along and you will improve - nothing will replace good instuction and practice, but your equipment does matter.  Have fun, enjoy the progress you make, and don not be shocked when you take a step back - it's all part of golf.

I decided I need to experiment with balls first before I really stick with one brand or the other.  My preference at the moment is for distance balls, though, so I go with whatever is cheap, so I got a bag of used balls, many of which are in playable condition and some I just save for chipping practice.  Wilston Staff Fifties, Top Flite XL's, Pinnacle Gold, Noodle Long and Soft.  I also have some Nitro Tour Distance balls that are new.

To me, the regular Noodle is a good combination of price, distance, and chipping for the average beginner, and Noodle practice or x outs are about half the price when you can find them.

Actually for a rank beginner, it doesn't make much difference as long as the ball is not damaged or too old. The cheapest new name brand ball, including practice or x-out is fine, whatever is on sale. Once you achieve a fairly consistent distance with say a 7 iron, and 60-70% of your chips are LANDING in a 2-3 foot circle, then maybe go to one ball all the time, and still it doesn't have to be expensive and x-outs or practice grades are fine, just maybe the same x-out from day to day.

An old story goes that some hacker asked Sam Snead how to make a 5 iron stop. He responded by asking how far they hit a 5 iron. Upon a reply of 150 yards, Sam said, "then why the hell do you want it to stop?"

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

...   Why wouldn't I want more spin off wedge shots?

It's more of a matter you don't want "too much spin" off of wedges or short irons.

A couple of years before the 2010 "grooves rule" took effect, I played with stronger golfers who had this problem. If they really juiced the ball with a scoring club, they would fly it in a little past the flagstick, and watch it back up 10 yards. If they hit a downslope, they could back it clear off the green.

But, these guys had clubhead speed of 100+ MPH with their drivers.

I don't think you and I have to worry about too much spin.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I like golf and like stuff, so all these conversations are somewhat interesting to me, and I will participate. And there is nothing wrong with conversation for the sake of conversation, that is one reason that a lot of these forums exist, or at least they wouldn't exist without it.

For practical purposes though, until you can with your best club, say a 7 iron, 5 iron, whatever keep about 80-90% of your shots in a 20 yard circle or an elliptical 20 yards long and 24 wide,  it doesn't matter what ball you use. Say that your most common decent shot with a 6 iron is 150 yards. If there is a spot 150 yards away, and you hit the 6 iron about how you want to or expect to, it will hit that spot. Then you hit 50 balls, and no more than 10 of them are more than 10 yards(30 feet) from that spot, it doesn't matter what ball you use. Any name brand ball (and most no names and undamaged used balls) from $9.95/dozen up will be more accurate than you are, even if you use a different ball for each shot.

I am not discouraging you from asking these questions or wondering/thinking about all the aspects of the game and equipment; I have the same interest. But I also want you to have the practical knowledge as well. Golf has so many nuances that you can get bogged in the details and forget as Mo Norman said, "Take this stupid thing, and hit that stupid thing, into the stupid hole."

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Golf balls are the most over-rated and possibility most unimportant pieces of golf equipment apart from tees and towels.

Just hit the ball.

A cheap/expensive/low spin/high spin/coloured ball isn't going to save or cost 99% of players a single shot.

Balls aren't rolling off the green because of the ball. It's because of the firmness of the greens and the way you hit it.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Golf balls are the most over-rated and possibility most unimportant pieces of golf equipment apart from tees and towels.

Try playing without one.

:-P

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 3601 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!