IGNORED

What Would You Give To Hit It 40 Yards Further?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I only said for this winter (the all winter implied was a single year). I'm not that crazy.

This would be something fun to try with my old driver, if it wasn't $100. I'm curious as to how much it really affects.

Yeah, but one year might still be a little extreme.

So, I met a couple senior golfers who used one of these modified drivers. They did hit them pretty far, but the distances they got were 220 yards instead of 180 or something like that. It looks so fragile to me, I almost don't want to touch it. It's pretty obvious because the rounded fillet around the face is sharp. I think the sweet spot is for 85mph SS or less.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read this more as a what it would take to get 40 more yards so I'll respond that way. From where I started with the full swing, the range work and research I've put in has already gained me about 40 from where my first drives were. I got more accurate too.

I have about maxed out my current strength & flexibility, I think. I definitely wouldn't do steroids, but I would be willing to put in some solid sustained work in to get fitter.

I would take lessons, but I don't think they would realistically get me 40 more yards - see body above - (maybe 10 on irons, but I already know I'm not delofted enough with the irons) so I am already going to work on that myself.

I wouldn't give up much more than I already have in time / money value. I really like the challenge of golf, but agree it's not everything.

Kevin

• Administrator
I read this more as a what it would take to get 40 more yards so I'll respond that way.

That's not how it was written. More the way others have answered. :-) Like what would you give to magically get 40 yards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I read this more as a what it would take to get 40 more yards so I'll respond that way. From where I started with the full swing, the range work and research I've put in has already gained me about 40 from where my first drives were. I got more accurate too.

I have about maxed out my current strength & flexibility, I think. I definitely wouldn't do steroids, but I would be willing to put in some solid sustained work in to get fitter.

I would take lessons, but I don't think they would realistically get me 40 more yards - see body above - (maybe 10 on irons, but I already know I'm not delofted enough with the irons) so I am already going to work on that myself.

I wouldn't give up much more than I already have in time / money value. I really like the challenge of golf, but agree it's not everything.

You don't know this. Getting consistent impact will increase your distances as well.

I drive anywhere from 210 to 270 on a decently swung drive but all over the face. If you are hitting 1.5 inches away from the sweet spot you could easily be losing a lot of distance. The bottom edge of the driver or the heel, but still full contact with the face gets me the 210 figures.

If I hit dead the center of the face and get the "whipping" right at impact, then I can get closer to the 270 yard figure.

So, I end up with something like a 235 drive average (Before today, i just figured it was roughly 225). If I continue to improve my swing mechanics and get key 2 to 75% and key 3 to at least 50%, I think I might be capable of making 245-250 yard type drives. This gain will be primarily from better face contact and swing mechanics.

Unless, you are hitting one spot on your driver, you are nowhere near your potential.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

For 40 more yards I'd do a lot of things

1. Eat a leather shoe.

2. Attend some sort of religious services.

3. Give away my left nut

etc,etc

I could only hope for such a deal.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• Administrator

For 40 more yards I'd do a lot of things

1. Eat a leather shoe.

2. Attend some sort of religious services.

3. Give away my left nut

Is the right one more or less valuable to you?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I thought about doing this one until I realized, like Iacas said, why would it be the left one? Besides, wouldn't it be a little weird and lopsided if you only gave one?

Is the right one more or less valuable to you?

I thought about doing this one until I realized, like Iacas said, why would it be the left one? Besides, wouldn't it be a little weird and lopsided if you only gave one?

In retrospect I would be better off getting rid of the right one. That way my weight will be slightly more forward at impact. Unless of course it just rolls over into to middle, I'll have to consult Lance regarding that.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• Administrator
In retrospect I would be better off getting rid of the right one. That way my weight will be slightly more forward at impact. Unless of course it just rolls over into to middle, I'll have to consult Lance regarding that.

I think Lance's bike seat keeps it on one side or the other.

thing is, I bet I could hit it 40 yards further.    Problem is there's a 90+% chance it would be in the woods left or right.      100% probability I'd wake up car wreck sore the next morning from swinging like that more than a few times ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

thing is, I bet I could hit it 40 yards further.    Problem is there's a 90+% chance it would be in the woods left or right.      100% probability I'd wake up car wreck sore the next morning from swinging like that more than a few times ...

You don't know that you'll wake up like a car wreck. I don't think any of us has reached our full potential unless you have 5 keys in your on course swing. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavvySwede

I think Lance's bike seat keeps it on one side or the other.

I have a close friend who is missing one due to the same reason as LA.  He says on the bike it just hangs to one side as it did before. :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

What would I give to hit the ball 40 yards farther??  on each club??

I would almost sell my soul to the devil.....

I'd be hitting my 3 wood about 270 on a regular basis... if not farther...

I'd be hitting my 9 iron about 160+

but it's true in the game of golf,,, would you rather hit it 275 straight and be on the fairway 90% of the time, or hit the ball 310+  and be on the fairway 75% of the time, but on the times you miss the fairway, you are right on the edge of the first cut????

It is what it is

I would give more to hit the big sticks straighter and the short ones with more distance control.  But I suppose if one could hit wedge where now they now hit a mid iron the latter wish might be given.

Butch

but it's true in the game of golf,,, would you rather hit it 275 straight and be on the fairway 90% of the time, or hit the ball 310+  and be on the fairway 75% of the time, but on the times you miss the fairway, you are right on the edge of the first cut????

Me and every single PGA Tour player out there would take the latter of those two, seeing as how it would be both longer and more accurate than any player on the PGA Tour currently.

• Administrator

Me and every single PGA Tour player out there would take the latter of those two, seeing as how it would be both longer and more accurate than any player on the PGA Tour currently.

Yeah, I would say you'd have to be pretty dumb to accept "275/90% fairway" over "310+/75% fairway/25% first cut". You could even remove the "first cut" part and you'd still have to be pretty dumb unless you had a specific course in mind… and even then, you could probably hit a 3W to achieve the 275/90%.

Note: This thread is 3471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!