IGNORED

2014 Hero World Challenge Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I liked the part of yesterday's broadcast where they decide to takle a look at Tiger's head movement. The announcer says "Tiger has been working hard on keeping his still, so let's take a look at his head in this swing. His head is level .... his head is level .... his head is "pretty" level"

His head had dipped about 7 inches. Maybe they thought we couldn't see his head was WAY under the line they just neatly drew for us. You can't make this stuff up.

You might have been hearing what you wanted to hear there, feel free to bring up the tape. I recall them saying the head dipped, and that's something he and Chris will continue to work on. You can't make this stuff up....or maybe you can.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I liked the part of yesterday's broadcast where they decide to takle a look at Tiger's head movement. The announcer says "Tiger has been working hard on keeping his still, so let's take a look at his head in this swing. His head is level .... his head is level .... his head is "pretty" level"

His head had dipped about 7 inches. Maybe they thought we couldn't see his head was WAY under the line they just neatly drew for us. You can't make this stuff up.

You might have been hearing what you wanted to hear there, feel free to bring up the tape. I recall them saying the head dipped, and that's something he and Chris will continue to work on. You can't make this stuff up....or maybe you can.

Actually, I saw that too.  You are both correct.  He kept saying that his head is level or pretty level all while he was nearly completely disappearing off the bottom of the screen. :doh: But then at the end he finally mentioned that he and his coach were going to try and minimize the head movement.

That guy apparently went to the Joe Morgan School of watching replays along with the audience and then clearly not paying any attention to the video you're actually watching.  He had in his head what he wanted to say and didn't actually pay attention to the video.  Then sort of recovered at the end. ;)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm still perplexed by the # of people on here who can't face the reality that Tiger is done and isn't coming back.

I'm even more perplexed you write off a legendary golfer so quickly. Tiger is rusty, something you can expect after 4 months not playing.

Fat little Patrick Reed shoots a 29 on his front nine, wearing Tiger red and black.  thats a kick in the twig n berries...

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Actually, I saw that too.  You are both correct.  He kept saying that his head is level or pretty level all while he was nearly completely disappearing off the bottom of the screen.   But then at the end he finally mentioned that he and his coach were going to try and minimize the head movement.

That guy apparently went to the Joe Morgan School of watching replays along with the audience and then clearly not paying any attention to the video you're actually watching.  He had in his head what he wanted to say and didn't actually pay attention to the video.  Then sort of recovered at the end. ;)

yes, it was level,,,,,until it wasn't

I wonder if it's more nuanced than the announcers were revealing - what PART of the swing is he trying to keep the head level.  if it's just during the backswing, then it looked pretty good.

Bill - 

I'm still perplexed by the # of people on here who can't face the reality that Tiger is done and isn't coming back. Spieth and Fowler are playing great and are the present/future of the game here in the States and I'm excited to see them playing so well. I think 2015 will be a great year for golf even without Tiger being a relevant part of it, I just wish the golf world could pay half as much attention to how good these young guys are, as it does to how bad Tiger is.

Because so many said exactly the same before the 2013 season. How did that turn out?

That's why I put the "probably premature" in there. ;) Honestly though, Tiger is done. He'll win a few more tourneys, no majors. 14 will be his number into perpetuity.

The premature statement is you saying he's "done."  Everyone seems to have VERY short memories.  We have seen this Deja Vu Scenario with Tiger 3-4 times over already with him to then see him progress to Win and WIN a LOT.

When Tiger first left Hank to go to Butch, the vitriol that existed at that time (which was smack in his prime) was HUGE.  What followed was a lot of BAD BAD shots (again, this was during his prime), a very weak (for Tiger's standards at the TIME) 2004/2005 and Vijay during that time over a couple of years taking the #1 player in the world spot.  It took Tiger almost two years to get that new Haney swing in check, regain his #1 status and start winning again.  Sean Foley, same thing but a little different.  Everyone Endorsed Foley's methods initially but Tiger struggled and had some terrible shots early on also.  Foley got a bit of a tough card because Tiger was beat up for a long portion of their time together but besides that point, Tiger won 5 times in 2013 (3 times the year previous to that) with two of those wins in 2013 being the Players (Major field) and the WGC Bridgestone.  That wasn't too shabby if you ask me.

This current state of Tiger's game is what we all have seen before.  Give it some time man before you make premature statements.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

The premature statement is you saying he's "done."  Everyone seems to have VERY short memories.  We have seen this Deja Vu Scenario with Tiger 3-4 times over already with him to then see him progress to Win and WIN a LOT. When Tiger first left Hank to go to Butch, the vitriol that existed at that time (which was smack in his prime) was HUGE.  What followed was a lot of BAD BAD shots (again, this was during his prime), a very weak (for Tiger's standards at the TIME) 2004/2005 and Vijay during that time over a couple of years taking the #1 player in the world spot.  It took Tiger almost two years to get that new Haney swing in check, regain his #1 status and start winning again.  Sean Foley, same thing but a little different.  Everyone Endorsed Foley's methods initially but Tiger struggled and had some terrible shots early on also.  Foley got a bit of a tough card because Tiger was beat up for a long portion of their time together but besides that point, Tiger won 5 times in 2013 (3 times the year previous to that) with two of those wins in 2013 being the Players (Major field) and the WGC Bridgestone.  That wasn't too shabby if you ask me. This current state of Tiger's game is what we all have seen before.  Give it some time man before you make premature statements.

He's never gone 7 years between majors, except from 0 to 21. As I said, he'll win again, I don't think he'll get another major; just don't believe he has the mental fortitude to overcome all the obstacles in his way in those big weeks anymore. Another component in my rationale is that I don't believe his body will hold up; he's an old 39 with all the injuries he's had. Sure, I'm planting a flag here but I really think he's but a shadow of his former self. And, I'll be the 1st to come here and say I blew it if he wins another major, just can't see it happening.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Tiger is -4 on the day. anyone that thinks hes "done" is just out of their mind. give him a couple more tournaments injury free....

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Tiger is -4 on the day. anyone that thinks hes "done" is just out of their mind. give him a couple more tournaments injury free....

True dat, broseph. Yesterday was a complete aberration, that'll never happen again with those 4 flubbed shots. Take those away and he prolly shoots even par.

Colin P.

True dat, broseph. Yesterday was a complete aberration, that'll never happen again with those 4 flubbed shots. Take those away and he prolly shoots even par.

I suspect ol Tiger has a few more 77s in him yet.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

He's never gone 7 years between majors, except from 0 to 21. As I said, he'll win again, I don't think he'll get another major; just don't believe he has the mental fortitude to overcome all the obstacles in his way in those big weeks anymore.

Another component in my rationale is that I don't believe his body will hold up; he's an old 39 with all the injuries he's had.

Sure, I'm planting a flag here but I really think he's but a shadow of his former self. And, I'll be the 1st to come here and say I blew it if he wins another major, just can't see it happening.

Part of the 7 year drought has a lot to do with a particular and famous Fire Hydrant. After that whole debacle, a myriad of injuries lurked and in spite of that, he still was able to pull out 8 wins in 2012 & 2013.  And like I said, two of those wins were in Major Championship fields...Yes, the Major"less" drought is long but moving forward from today (with the hope of good health), I just can't see how he is done.  There is a lot of time left.  Phil Mickelson is almost 5 years Tiger senior and no one says he's done? (and he has a serious case, while under control with meds, of arthritis).

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I suspect ol Tiger has a few more 77s in him yet.

Read my post. I didn't say he wouldn't ever shoot another 77. I said he wouldn't hit 4 flubs like he did. Now as I said that, he flubs one on 18.

Colin P.

kind of a crummy situation, sit through a rain delay to come back and play a soaked 18th hole. then double to lose your 60s bid lol.

Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5* S driver
Nike VR-S 3W
Cobra AMP Cell 3H
Callaway Big Bertha 3-10i, 50* W
Ping M/B 56* W
Ping M/B 60* W
Odyssey Black Series #8 

Read my post. I didn't say he wouldn't ever shoot another 77. I said he wouldn't hit 4 flubs like he did. Now as I said that, he flubs one on 18.

I knew what you said, I was playing on the words. ;)

I can't say I'm concerned about his swing at all, he's in need of short game work and that's all. He's striking the ball well for the most part, and awesome distance off the tee. A good short game would have put him in decent shape for this tourney, I expect him to have a good year. He has time between now and his next tourney to work on things.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I knew what you said, I was playing on the words. ;)

Ah, gotcha. [quote name="3putter" url="/t/78427/2014-hero-world-challenge-discussion-thread/60#post_1082359"]I can't say I'm concerned about his swing at all, he's in need of short game work and that's all. He's striking the ball well for the most part, and awesome distance off the tee. A good short game would have put him in decent shape for this tourney, I expect him to have a good year. He has time between now and his next tourney to work on things. [/quote] True. Although I don't like him hitting an almost double cross pull trying to hit a fade off a fade lie.

Colin P.

I'm still perplexed by the # of people on here who can't face the reality that Tiger is done and isn't coming back. Spieth and Fowler are playing great and are the present/future of the game here in the States and I'm excited to see them playing so well. I think 2015 will be a great year for golf even without Tiger being a relevant part of it, I just wish the golf world could pay half as much attention to how good these young guys are, as it does to how bad Tiger is.

I'm perplexed that you continue to enter these threads just to shit in everyone's collective corn flakes. It's December. We're watching golf. What's your problem with that again?

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 3435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!