IGNORED

Help Bill Choose a Golf Ball

Note: This thread is 3473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@billchao , help yourself find a new ball (possibly): http://thesandtrap.com/t/79696/member-review-roll-call-bridgestone-e-series-golf-balls

Thanks. I saw that earlier, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get out and play real golf in the time we need to have the reviews done by.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Thanks. I saw that earlier, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get out and play real golf in the time we need to have the reviews done by.

Oh, duh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

I have always liked the Top Flite Gamer, but I'm very interested in trying out the new Wilson Staff Duo Spin. It's slightly above the Top Flite Gamer and Wilson Staff Duo (around $19 per doz) at $26/doz, but I think it could be worth checking out

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged Wedge 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

• 4 weeks later...
I went to a course to register for the year yesterday and found out that they had discontinued Taylormade premium balls (Penta, TP3, & TP5) for $20/doz. I know what I'm going to be playing for a while :-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I went to a course to register for the year yesterday and found out that they had discontinued Taylormade premium balls (Penta, TP3, & TP5) for $20/doz. I know what I'm going to be playing for a while :-)

Those are really nice. Great deal too!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Sweet deal. I used to get the Penta practice balls at $19.95 but I can't find them anywhere anymore

Colin P.

If I were looking to play a less expensive ball I'd try the Maxfli U6. I've played them a few times and they are nice. Dick's had them on sale a couple of weeks ago for BOGO.

This.

They're still on sale at Dick's for this price, I just picked up 2 more boxes yesterday.  This is a really, really nice ball imo.

Go to dicks sporting goods Get 2 dz for 35 bucks Srixon tour tri speed Best ball for dough imo 17.50 dz new balls Decent distance Holds greens Soft touch putting 1/3 the price of prov1 Srixon zstar is best tour ball for dough 30 dozen new dicks sg

I don't buy many balls, I have lots and lose lots. I was away from my home course and a guy I was playing with suggested I would benefit from playing a good ball instead of just whatever was in my bag. I would like to know the difference in 2 piece and 3 piece, etc.  He suggested a 3 piece but I didn't get a chance to ask  what the benefits are.  I am noticing lots of balls have a much nicer feel and some I get more distance. I have a driver swing speed of 100-105mph.

I don't buy many balls, I have lots and lose lots. I was away from my home course and a guy I was playing with suggested I would benefit from playing a good ball instead of just whatever was in my bag. I would like to know the difference in 2 piece and 3 piece, etc.  He suggested a 3 piece but I didn't get a chance to ask  what the benefits are.  I am noticing lots of balls have a much nicer feel and some I get more distance. I have a driver swing speed of 100-105mph.

Even 2 piece balls are better than they used to be. They're not Top Flite XL and Callaway Warbirds anymore. The Titelist's DT Solo, Callaway's Super Soft, and Bridgestone's e5 are all 2 piece balls, but they play differently from one another and tend to be pleasing to hit. The axiom used to be that 3 piece balls will give you better spin control around greens, but balls like the ones above challenge that. So don't go in looking for an #-piece golf ball. You have a high swing speed. Depending on how straight you hit your driver, you'll either be looking for a ball that stays straighter or one that maximizes your spin into greens. For the former, you can have a Bridgestone e6 and for the latter, you might have any of the myriad high end balls like the ProV1x. So, it depends on what you're looking to get out of your ball.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

As other's have mentioned, the Wilson Duo is a good ball and also the Wilson Fifty (It's also a duo but at 50 compression instead of 40). Now there's one slight downside to the duo, at least IMO and that's with putting. For those that have never played with a balata ball, the Duo comes off the putter face with the same soft characteristics. Now this can work different ways. If you have a nice smooth stroke, you'll more than likely find yourself coming up short on longish putts. Conversely, if you pop the stroke, you shouldn't be flying past the hole as you may do with the harder cover balls. Just some personal info gained from using the ball. Hope this is helpful.

Hate crowned cups.

I just picked up a box of Callaway 3pc Hex balls to try.  Good deal so figured I'd try them and see if I play any better this weekend.  Hopefully I don't lose them all too fast, lol

What is the difference between the Calloway Hex Chrome and Callaway Speed Regime 2?

Pretty comparable. The SR3 is more akin to the Chrome+, so the Chrome probably fits in to the SR2 range in that lineup. Some people have had issues with the covers on the SR range not being very durable.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Well that was an interesting little detour for me.  For the last few rounds i have played only what I consider better balls. I have used The Callaway Hex Control balls that I bought, along with a couple of ProV1x that I had in my bag. Either I improved dramatically or just a fluke? My drives are in the fairway much more consistently and I have only had one big high slice that lost me a ball. Also my shots around the green have actually stopped on the green a lot more consistently, even resulting in more 1 putts.  I still make all my usual mistakes, leaving it short, not reading putts properly etc but the end result has been playing 18 holes and only losing 2 balls a round, usually into water hazards (there are quite a few). My scores have been low 90's and if not for the ball losses I would have actually broken 90 twice. I find I get to within a couple of holes of the finish, then lose the balls, so might be the pressure. I will have access to my stockpile of balls in a few weeks so will try a couple of lower qhality balls again and see what happens.  In the meantime, I will see if I can keep my streak going. Might end up switching to better quality balls. lots of great advice on here :)

Note: This thread is 3473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!