IGNORED

The catch-all swing video editing thread - tips and techniques

nevets88
Note:Β This thread is 2144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

There's a great piece on this site on how to film your swing. But what about afterwards? How do we work with different formats, do video edits, like trim, append or put in notation, etc... Β I'm very clumsy with video editing software, but have picked up useful tips along the way I wish I knew earlier. So I'll start, feel free to add anything useful.

Windows:

Swing analyzer - Kinovea can be complex at times, but it's free and has a lot of features. Here's the online documentation .

Video editor - Moviemaker

• You'll have to download it, but it's free. It's not a quick and dirty download and install though, so if you're in a rush...
  • Trim

Mac:

Swing analyzer - Analyzr . I use the student version. Intuitive interface, you'll spend way less time fighting the interface compared to complex apps like V1 or Kinovea.

Video editor - Quicktime 10 has a lot of features I didn't think it'd have.

• The increment frame by frame is gone - I mean every frame. But it's still in Quicktime 7, which is a free download.
  • Trim
  • Append video - just pick a video from Finder and drop it in current video.
  • Screen record - fullscreen or custom area
  • Audio overlay

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The thing about Apple downloads... and what I hate.... is that I had a version of Quicktime that was great. I bought the Pro version because I could do some video editing because the audio program I was using required Quicktime. There was a great feature in it. Then there was an update and I made a mistake and clicked the wrong button. It updated. The features I needed were gone. They had dumbed down the updated version. There was no going back. I contacted Apple Customer Service to get a roll back. You don't know how many times I was transferred. They don't want to talk to you.

If you have a version of Quicktime that you like, turn your updates off, and set them to "Never update."

I'm using Windows Movie Maker now.

Here's another Swing Analysis program for Windows.

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree;Β 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5Β degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Mac:

Swing analyzer - Analyzr. I use the student version. Intuitive interface, you'll spend way less time fighting the interface compared to complex apps like V1 or Kinovea.

Video editor - Quicktime 10 has a lot of features I didn't think it'd have.

The increment frame by frame is gone - I mean every frame. But it's still in Quicktime 7, which is a free download.

Trim

Append video - just pick a video from Finder and drop it in current video.

Screen record - fullscreen or custom area

Audio overlay

Finally got an adaptor for my new iphone so I can video myself and I have Analyzr Pro. Β Literally just re-started all of this last week, so I'm enjoying updating and consolidating everything in Analyzr. Β I spent a bunch of time last night transferring all of my videos to the "Student" section, then went on to TST's Youtube page and imported a whole bunch of pros swing videos into my Models directory. Β Also made "Key" directories and imported a whole bunch of 5SK videos.

Anyways, here's my first question:

What is the best way to transfer the videos from the iphone to the MacBook?

This is what I'm currently doing (don't laugh @iacas ):

1. Download videos from phone into iPhoto.
  2. "Exporting" from iPhoto to "Daddys Golf Swings" directory on the desktop.
  3. Importing into Analyzr.

There's got to be a better way.

Next question: Β In analyzr, how does one move quickly through the swing, frame by frame? Β I'm having to play it at full speed and then try to time it to stop near the point I want to see, then arrow back and forth through frames.

Thanks guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

。。。

What is the best way to transfer the videos from the iphone to the MacBook?

This is what I'm currently doing (don't laugh @iacas):

Download videos from phone into iPhoto.

"Exporting" from iPhoto to "Daddys Golf Swings" directory on the desktop.

Importing into Analyzr.

There's got to be a better way.

This isn't that much more efficient, but there's an app called Image Capture. It's more lightweight than iPhone iPhoto. Run that to copy the videos to your hard drive and then import into Analyzr. This is what I do. Perhaps there is a faster way via iCloud? Edit: You can enable the option to upload all your photos and videos to iCloud and it'll automatically show up in iPhoto I think but the uploads of the videos might take a long time. There's also AirDrop.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

There's also AirDrop.

Yeah, this seems like it would be the best way, but I'm missing something. Β I go to Airdrop on Finder and then I go to the video on my phone and I'm expecting something to show up on the Mac but nothing happens.

Is there something in my phone settings that I have to toggle, perhaps?

I may be missing something because I'm not a Mac user, but can't you just plug your iPhone to your computer via USB and copy the files directly from the phone?

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I may be missing something because I'm not a Mac user, but can't you just plug your iPhone to your computer via USB and copy the files directly from the phone?

You would think so, wouldn't you? Β For some reason, though, when I plug the phone in, it doesn't appear as a drive like it would on a PC. Β Not sure if it's a Mac thing or simply a "me" thing.

Quote:

There's also AirDrop.

Yeah, this seems like it would be the best way, but I'm missing something. Β I go to Airdrop on Finder and then I go to the video on my phone and I'm expecting something to show up on the Mac but nothing happens.

Is there something in my phone settings that I have to toggle, perhaps?

Make sure your Bluetooth is on for both phone and laptop. AirDrop doesn't work on older model devices and computers, not sure how new your machine has to be, but it doesn't work on my 2009 MacBook Pro. My Mac sees my iPhone but can't make a connection.

That's exactly what I do on Windows 8. It appears as a drive in Explorer. Image Capture on the Mac is essentially the same thing but with the extra step of you having to copy the files over to the hard drive, there's no auto mount, ie show up like a usb drive.

Steve

Make sure your Bluetooth is on for both phone and laptop. AirDrop doesn't work on older model devices and computers, not sure how new your machine has to be, but it doesn't work on my 2009 MacBook Pro. My Mac sees my iPhone but can't make a connection.

We have a 2010 MacBook Pro, so maybe it won't work anyway, but I can't even see the phone on there.

I'll fiddle with the settings.

Quote:

We have a 2010 MacBook Pro, so maybe it won't work anyway, but I can't even see the phone on there.

I'll fiddle with the settings.

If you click on the BT symbol on the top right hand corner on your menu bar, there are send files to device, browse files on device menu items.

Steve

• Administrator

Just use Image Capture.

Even if Bluetooth worked, farting around with it would take far longer than what I do.

The only other way I'll sometimes do things is to use the Image upload feature in Dropbox. Then the files are in my Dropbox. Dropbox (on the iPhone) doesn't do much in the background, though, so again, 95% of the time, it's Image Capture.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I'll be the first to say that for Windows people Apple products suck. Quicktime Pro is marginal, and I use Movie Maker, but it is limited on what it can do. If you really want high quality video you might want to consider using something from Sony Creative Software . Prices range from $40 to $140 depending upon how many features you want. Just wanted to put this up there for people using 240 fps.

And yes, Youtube will stream it at 60 fps, but it is better that you convert it to 60 fps before uploading to Youtube. 240 fps can give you ultra slow motion and even a smooth shot like this video that streams at 60 fps:

I use Sony Sound Forge Pro 11.0 for audio mastering and it's a fantastic program.

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

• Administrator

I'll be the first to say that for Windows people Apple products suck. Quicktime Pro is marginal, and I use Movie Maker, but it is limited on what it can do.

iTunes was moderately well regarded.

This thread's not really about that stuff, though. Just say what works; wasting time talking about what doesn't work is just that: wasting time. N'est-ce pas?

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I pretty much never put videos on a computer now. I edit the videos on the iPhone and just send them to YouTube. You do have to have WiFi access to do this though, and the YouTube app as well.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

I pretty much never put videos on a computer now. I edit the videos on the iPhone and just send them to YouTube. You do have to have WiFi access to do this though, and the YouTube app as well.

It's cool how many options you have to upload to the cloud now. There was always Dropbox. I got 30GB free from OneDrive (Msft). Google Drive is pretty cheap. And I haven't even explored the Amazon option, they do have free unlimited photo storage for Prime and I think I was able to upload a video to Amazon.

Steve

I did that last year when I was basically just taking videos for evolvr and my thread. Β But I'm trying to start using Analyzr a lot more now, and I assume that it's better to dump the raw videos straight into the computer than go through youtube.

• Administrator

I did that last year when I was basically just taking videos for evolvr and my thread. Β But I'm trying to start using Analyzr a lot more now, and I assume that it's better to dump the raw videos straight into the computer than go through youtube.

Yes. Much. You can upload the occasional one to YouTube, but the lessons and the notes you can add are invaluable.

iTunes was moderately well regarded.

This thread's not really about that stuff, though. Just say what works; wasting time talking about what doesn't work is just that: wasting time. N'est-ce pas?

I'm sorry, but as a former IT person saying that a particular version of a product doesn't work well with a certain operating system IMO isn't a waste of time. However, since the Apple - Windows stuff seems to be a sore point, I will refrain from even getting into these discussions in the future. I did offer a solution that does work in the same paragraph from Sony Creative Software because someone had considered the Pro version of Quicktime which is not a free product.

Yes, iTunes was moderately well regarded.

Julia

Spoiler

Note:Β This thread is 2144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!