IGNORED

What advice would you give Tiger?

rcarat
Note: This thread is 3372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is sad because I think he is really trying to be a better person with the fans. He's smiling at times and being more accomodating to the press as well.

I would like to see him get back a respectable short game to not embarass himself out there.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

How many MC is where you get concerned? What is the magic number?

Ah, I'm glad you asked.  Notice the following line chart showing the steep decline in starts and the unsettling rise in MC:

While history does not repeat itself, it does often rhyme.  If anyone has any idea what the below graph shows please do let me know:

Ah, I'm glad you asked.  Notice the following line chart showing the steep decline in starts and the unsettling rise in MC:

While history does not repeat itself, it does often rhyme.  If anyone has any idea what the below graph shows please do let me know:

I got three ideas:

An airplane, a sideways fire hydrant, or Snoopy.

Oh wait ... I'm slow ... it is a fire hydrant. :doh:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hank Haney says Tiger's game is full of holes.

“When you start playing musical teachers, you know the end is pretty darn close.”

When caller Kevin from Savannah predicted Woods would bounce back at Torrey Pines, always one of his favorite playgrounds, next week, Haney laughed and said, “Let’s get serious. Later he added, “That would be a magic show if that happens.”

http://golfweek.com/news/2015/jan/31/tiger-woods-yips-hank-haney-comments-pga-tour/

I'm shocked how bitter Haney is towards Woods.  Those are some very harsh words.  Woods must have hurt him bad in '10.  Sad to see a friendship turn that sour.  I personally just dont buy all this 'yips' nonsense.

Here's Paul Azinger saying the exact opposite...

Azinger: Woods' chipping woes could be fixed 'in minutes'

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/azinger-woods-chipping-woes-could-be-fixed-minutes/

I think the next few tournaments will be crucial. If Tiger Woods continues to finish near the bottom of the leaderboard through Honda, there is major reason for concern that he may never come out of this funk. But if he shows some progress this week, a little more next week, and then a little more towards Honda, that's a good sign. A lot will be told the next month or two.

I'm shocked how bitter Haney is towards Woods.  Those are some very harsh words.  Woods must have hurt him bad in '10.  Sad to see a friendship turn that sour.  I personally just dont buy all this 'yips' nonsense.

Here's Paul Azinger saying the exact opposite...

Azinger: Woods' chipping woes could be fixed 'in minutes'

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/azinger-woods-chipping-woes-could-be-fixed-minutes/

Haney has been passive aggressive with Tiger since Tiger fired him.  Haney's assessment could be accurate as he's not the only one to suggest the yips as the problem.  I think where Haney is out of line is in 1) suggesting that it's not something Tiger can overcome just because Haney found it difficult to overcome the yips with his driver.  2) Referring to Tiger's swing coach change as "musical teachers".  He was with Foley for a while, so it's not like Tiger is switching coaches every year.

Tiger was the best thing to ever happen to Haney and since then he's been relegated to selling "The Blueprint" and doing a weekend call-in show on PGA Tour radio, not exactly life in the fast lane.

Joe Paradiso

Haney has been passive aggressive with Tiger since Tiger fired him.  Haney's assessment could be accurate as he's not the only one to suggest the yips as the problem.  I think where Haney is out of line is in 1) suggesting that it's not something Tiger can overcome just because Haney found it difficult to overcome the yips with his driver.  2) Referring to Tiger's swing coach change as "musical teachers".  He was with Foley for a while, so it's not like Tiger is switching coaches every year.

Tiger was the best thing to ever happen to Haney and since then he's been relegated to selling "The Blueprint" and doing a weekend call-in show on PGA Tour radio, not exactly life in the fast lane.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. I think Haney, just like Brandel Chamblee, has sour grapes and so he's going to make things sound a lot worse than they actually are. However, I do think Haney is correct in saying that Tiger's a head is a bit of a mess right now and it is going to be difficult to fix. If you ever played golf, the mental game is the hardest thing to cure. Swing problems can be cured...mentality and confidence are much more difficult. It's killed a lot of great golfers in the past that could not come back from it.

The easiest thing to say is "Well, he just needs some tournament time." Two problems with that.....first of all, if you're missing every cut, you're only getting two rounds of practice in. Secondly, if you're 7 or 8-over after the first round, you're not getting that feel of being in contention.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. I think Haney, just like Brandel Chamblee, has sour grapes and so he's going to make things sound a lot worse than they actually are. However, I do think Haney is correct in saying that Tiger's a head is a bit of a mess right now and it is going to be difficult to fix. If you ever played golf, the mental game is the hardest thing to cure. Swing problems can be cured...mentality and confidence are much more difficult. It's killed a lot of great golfers in the past that could not come back from it.

The easiest thing to say is "Well, he just needs some tournament time." Two problems with that.....first of all, if you're missing every cut, you're only getting two rounds of practice in. Secondly, if you're 7 or 8-over after the first round, you're not getting that feel of being in contention.

I don't believe Haney has any more insight into Tigers mental state than we do.  We see what we see during the broadcasts and make assumptions.  Tiger had semi-major back surgery, which not only took time to heal from but likely caused some atrophy throughout his entire body.  He missed most of 2014 and changed swing coaches.  We've seen him play in two tournaments and while his short game around the green was really bad, I'm not sure we know the actual cause nor does Haney.

Joe Paradiso

I don't believe Haney has any more insight into Tigers mental state than we do.  We see what we see during the broadcasts and make assumptions.  Tiger had semi-major back surgery, which not only took time to heal from but likely caused some atrophy throughout his entire body.  He missed most of 2014 and changed swing coaches.  We've seen him play in two tournaments and while his short game around the green was really bad, I'm not sure we know the actual cause nor does Haney.

this is really the crux of the matter.  many here are saying things like "use the bounce" and i am all for that, meaning using a different technique that allows for more margin of error, but lets be honest - tiger has the talent to play the most difficult of chips that bring the leading edge into play, hes done that since forever.  so then why is it that he cant do it anymore?  i simply dont believe that he can no longer deliver the leading edge of a wedge to the exact right spot like he used to.

Colin P.

Replying to "What advice would you give Tiger?"

Does the PGA tour have its version of baseball's slumpbuster? TW needs some of that ASAP.

Wow, that is clever.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

While I think Haney is a blowhard, he has MUCH more insight to Tiger's mindset and therefore, his current mental state than any of us, having worked with him 10 years. He knows how TW thinks 1st hand. We glean that from watching tournaments, interviews, etc. I do think he has an axe to grind and grind away he does but to suggest he does it from the same knowledge base as us is incorrect.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

While I think Haney is a blowhard, he has MUCH more insight to Tiger's mindset and therefore, his current mental state than any of us, having worked with him 10 years. He knows how TW thinks 1st hand. We glean that from watching tournaments, interviews, etc. I do think he has an axe to grind and grind away he does but to suggest he does it from the same knowledge base as us is incorrect.

I do not think that a guy I fired 5 years ago when things were completely different, who I have not talked to since, would have a very good idea of what is going on in my mind or what my current mindset is.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Concentrate on getting his game in shape for Torrey Pines, not go and see Lindsey at the Skiing World Champs at Vail.

Why? Is winning at Torrey a bigger priority in his life than seeing Lindsey Ski?  Obviously not.  At this point is about getting healthy and winning majors.  My advice would be do what makes you happy you've done more for a sport than just about anyone in history.

Note: This thread is 3372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!