IGNORED

The Tiger Woods Retirement Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Playing with Rory on Sunday exposed just how far away Tiger is from being relevant on the golf course. But at least we now know how Lindsey Vonn came back so fast from her knee injury.

Yeah, darn those pesky top 20s in majors after 9-week layoffs. Why, that's only better than about 60 other relatively great golfers.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, darn those pesky top 20s in majors after 9-week layoffs.

Why, that's only better than about 60 other relatively great golfers.

Not to mention that Rory went 10 under on the weekend and was in great form...

Tiger looked great for the most part and will be fine.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

So now Tiger is being measured like the other golfers on Tour.

Which is pretty much what I said.

Bill M

• Administrator

Which is pretty much what I said.

No, it isn't.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So now Tiger is being measured like the other golfers on Tour. Which is pretty much what I said.

So according to you, those 60 golfers (most of which who won a tournament in the most recent calendar year) are "far away from being relevant" since Tiger, who is being talked about like them, is also "far away from being relevant" and you yourself said those two are pretty much the same thing. I'm not sure, but I'd say the people who are winning are pretty relevant on the golf course. I could be wrong though...

So according to you, those 60 golfers (most of which who won a tournament in the most recent calendar year) are "far away from being relevant" since Tiger, who is being talked about like them, is also "far away from being relevant" and you yourself said those two are pretty much the same thing.

I'm not sure, but I'd say the people who are winning are pretty relevant on the golf course. I could be wrong though...

So, you are suggesting that there were 60 golfers at the Masters who had a realistic chance to actually win it? I would suggest that you are wrong. And yet before the event, the 101st ranked golfer in the world was 18-1, just behind Rory McIlroy, Jason Day, Jordan Spieth and Bubba Watson. Just goes to show how delusional people are when it comes to Tiger Woods these days.

I would suggest the results of his pairing with Rory on Sunday is the realistic way to measure his chances to win a Major these days. That is what I said in my OP, no matter how you guys try to skew it.

Bill M

even though I would be thrilled to finish top 20 in a major, this is Tiger.

A top 20 is a failure for him. Anything less than a win is a failure.

It is my assumption that he is out there Win and only win. He has made enough on tour to sustain a living. He needs to win majors and tournaments. Anything else is a waste for him.

He is unlike any of the other 60 "great golfers", he is Tiger!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

• Administrator
even though I would be thrilled to finish top 20 in a major, this is Tiger.

A top 20 is a failure for him. Anything less than a win is a failure.

Tiger would tell you that, partly because he has to tell himself that stuff. He'd be wrong.

Anyone who knows a bit about competitive golf would tell you this was a great step.

• He finished a tournament.
  • He finished under par.
  • He didn't suffer a recurring injury.
  • He was on a leaderboard on Sunday (though nobody outside of two or three others had a chance to win).
  • His full swing was much improved.
  • His short game was not just improved, but GREAT.

It was a great step in the right direction. It's a building block.

Just goes to show how delusional people are when it comes to Tiger Woods these days.

Riiiiiiiiight.

I would suggest the results of his pairing with Rory on Sunday is the realistic way to measure his chances to win a Major these days.

Yeah, because one round means so much…

• Upvote 2

I wish we would see him again before The Players. It was good to see Tiger competing with everyone else. I really enjoyed this Masters. Phil, Jordan, Rory, Tiger, Hoffman, everyone. It just was a fun tournament.

I think Tiger has a tremendous amount of pride and wants to win everything in sight.  However, I don't think he's delusional and he knows that he's not going to win the first time back.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

Just goes to show how delusional people are when it comes to Tiger Woods these days.

Riiiiiiiiight.

So, you think the people who took Tiger in the Masters at 18-1 odds made a good bet?

Riiiiiiiiight.

Bill M

• Administrator
So, you think the people who took Tiger in the Masters at 18-1 odds made a good bet?

Riiiiiiiiight.

That's not even in the same state as what I said.

You had said people were delusional for pointing out that Tiger beat 60 other PGA Tour winners and top-ranked players. You added the bit about 18-1 - I never commented on whether he'd win, betting odds, etc. I didn't pick him to win (I picked Rory), either.

Tiger finishing top 20 in a major after nine weeks off and overcoming that laundry list of things is still relevant. Tiger was a big source of discussion, here, elsewhere, everywhere. He's still "relevant."

It's delusional to think otherwise.

Tiger finishing top 20 in a major after nine weeks off and overcoming that laundry list of things is still relevant. Tiger was a big source of discussion, here, elsewhere, everywhere. He's still "relevant."

It's delusional to think otherwise.

To the fanboys. There was zero chance of him winning the Masters and the people who bet him down to 18-1 are the ones who are delusional. Maybe down the road when he actually logs some competition under his belt, but Sunday showed just how far away he is. Besides being lapped by the world's #!, It took him until 13 to actually hit a fairway on a course with some of the widest fairways on the planet.

Bill M

• Administrator
To the fanboys. There was zero chance of him winning the Masters and the people who bet him down to 18-1 are the ones who are delusional.

Do you have any evidence that this is anyone here? I sure as hell didn't bet on him to win.

That's not at all the same as saying he's not relevant.

To the fanboys. There was zero chance of him winning the Masters and the people who bet him down to 18-1 are the ones who are delusional. Maybe down the road when he actually logs some competition under his belt, but Sunday showed just how far away he is. Besides being lapped by the world's #!, It took him until 13 to actually hit a fairway on a course with some of the widest fairways on the planet.

You are Drawing an awful lot of conclusions from ONE ROUND OF GOLF, Tiger Hater. Masters was a success for TW.-Anyone with half a brain or more can see that.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

You are Drawing an awful lot of conclusions from ONE ROUND OF GOLF, Tiger Hater.

Ah, there we go. The stock response to anybody who is remotely critical of Tiger.

Way to be predictable, fanboy.

Bill M

• Administrator
Ah, there we go. The stock response to anybody who is remotely critical of Tiger.

Way to be predictable, fanboy.

Seriously? This post was first:

To the fanboys.

Guess that answers the "half a brain" part of his post, though.

Enough, @phan52 .

Note: This thread is 3273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!