IGNORED

The Tiger Woods Retirement Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

This thread is for the discussion of Tiger Woods' retirement, something I would say there is a > 15% chance of happening by the end of 2015.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You know what? I wouldn't that at all. He's done enough for the game, let someone carry the torch if they'd like.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

You know what? I wouldn't that at all. He's done enough for the game, let someone carry the torch if they'd like.

He has failed in his mission though, so far.  I have a feeling that he will view it as a personal failure if he is forced to retire this soon because of the injuries.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It strikes me that it is often the genuine superstars of golf (the true stand-out golfers of their generations), who sometimes seem to bow out soonest when the regular wins (or, at least, regular positions high up the leaderboard) dry up. Someone like Bernard Langer, who was, of course, a wonderful golfer with a couple of majors to his name, has managed to keep on playing great golf way into his 50s - albeit on the Champions Tour these days, whereas a 6 time major winner like Nick Faldo was basically done and dusted by the age of 40. As a self-confessed enormous fan of Sir Nick, watching the twilight of Faldo's career was a bit sad, and I was not surprised when he chose to devote the bulk of his attention to other pursuits within golf - notably reinventing himself as an entertaining and insightful commentator.

I think it is safe to say that Tiger will not follow the career trajectory of Langer. However, the question (in terms of playing), will be whether he will even follow Faldo's example of turning out to play in the odd nostalgic Open or what-have-you, even when he doesn't have any hope of making the cut, let alone winning.

My guess would be not - I think Woods is a proud man, and given the level of utter domination of the game he enjoyed at the peak of his powers, why would he want to show up to play just to diminish his legend?

My suspicion is that Tiger Woods' retirement will be quite soon - and, unlike so many sportsmen, will not feature ill-advised comebacks. He could retire tomorrow and people will always overlook the last couple of years as injury-hit ones, which should not feature in any meaningful assessment of his career. I think when he does retire from playing, it will be absolute and permanent.

• Administrator

Also check this out: http://thesandtrap.com/b/thrash_talk/is_tiger_going_to_retire .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't think Tiger would do an official retirement announcement. If anything he would announce he was taking a year or two off to really get healthy and then realize he doesn't want to come back while away from the game.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Golf will be really weird without Tiger, if he does in fact retire.  My wife used to love to watch tour golf on TV--when Tiger contended, of course.  Now, it's a bunch of guys with carbon copy swings that she doesn't know.  To her, the current PGA tour is a bunch of cookie cutter, personality-less robots.

I tend to agree.

Here's hoping Tiger can get his mind, body and game fixed so he can continue to compete.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I'd put the chance of retirement at >35%.   Tiger has all the money he needs and would likely look to earn income from course development and design if he were to retire.  IMO, his motivation to continue playing golf  is to beat Jack's and Snead's records.  If he doesn't see a realistic chance in doing so then I think he moves on.

The demands for Tigers time are greater than they were in the past.  He has kids and a girlfriend (Lindsey Vonn) who is a world class athlete that is working hard to make the 2018 Olympics.  He seems to be dedicating a lot of his time supporting Vonn's efforts to regain her #1 status which is taking away from time he can practice.

I like Tiger and appreciate how much more exciting golf is when he's playing well but those moments are pretty distant memories at this point.  As a fan I'd like to see him take a medical exemption for the year and work hard to get back to the level of play we expect from him.  If he's not willing or able to, then I think he should retire.

Joe Paradiso

I hope he doesn't retire.  He could be a very good player in his 40s if he just gets through this swing change and learns to play like a guy his age with injury problems.  There are players on tour right now that compete just fine and hit the ball shorter than Tiger does.  If he can just learn to swing easier on the course and adjust his game plan accordingly, he could play very well.

It looks bad right now, but he should be able to fix his short game without any long term issues.  I don't think he will retire because of the "yips".

Instead of retiring, because of injuries or different priorities in life or whatever, I would rather see him take a break from the Tour or just go to a Steve Stricker type of schedule.  He could always come back and play a full schedule again if he wanted.  Might take some pressure off of him while he goes through this swing change.

I'd be gutted. Absolutely gutted. Having said that, at this point I'd don't think he'd be losing anything considering where his game's at now at the moment. Not many - including me - think that 19 majors is within his grasp anymore. If he comes to grips with that, then what reason is there to hang around? I know he's proud, and like I said, I'd be devastated, but what else does he have to prove? Too me, he's already the GOAT, no need to whimper out of the game for a couple more years.

Colin P.

I hope he doesn't retire.  He could be a very good player in his 40s if he just gets through this swing change and learns to play like a guy his age with injury problems.  There are players on tour right now that compete just fine and hit the ball shorter than Tiger does.  If he can just learn to swing easier on the course and adjust his game plan accordingly, he could play very well.

It looks bad right now, but he should be able to fix his short game without any long term issues.  I don't think he will retire because of the "yips".

Instead of retiring, because of injuries or different priorities in life or whatever, I would rather see him take a break from the Tour or just go to a Steve Stricker type of schedule.  He could always come back and play a full schedule again if he wanted.  Might take some pressure off of him while he goes through this swing change.

Cubs Fan? So, there is another one who will own up. I thought I was the only one. :beer:

As for your Woody thoughts on retirement, I don't he will retire. He might have to give up the game for a while to get both mentally, and physically healthy. I posted on another thread that  some folks were saying Woody should adopt an "old man's" swing, and forget huge distances off the tee in his very near future. Like you posted, an easier swing might be more beneficial to him now with all the physical issues he is dealing with.

I can't help but remember way back, when he was with Harmon. A lot golf forum talk was about his swing mechanics said it would be great while it lasted, but the way he was swinging then (Butch's swing) would be harmful to him as he got older. That his dominant swing/style of play back then would shorten his career. Seems like those earlier predictions are becoming true. We will all just have to wait, and see what's in store for his future play. Worst case scenario would be he replaced Sir Faldo in the booth.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I would be really sad If woods isn't able to be competitive again.

He's the switch that helped me discover golf and I thank him for that because I love the game and love my life much more now that I have this game.

I thank him for much much more as well, like all those captivating tour times watching him play win or loose.

So I hope he doesn't wish to retire and continues even to the seniors tour in a long time.

I think it would be foolish to announce a retirement, even if it's a real possibility, just take the year off, leave the door open, work on the issue and if it takes 2-3 years fine, it's unlikely he'll never play the game again so no need to make such a move.

Also instead of returning to the game with question marks how about playing some private rounds first Tiger? maybe feel good before playing a tournament? give us fans a break? I find it hard to believe the guy teed off at 100% last week.

He won't retire. He's not infirm and he still has some demons to chase. He's got a lifetime exemption on the tour so he can pretty much play whenever he wants and I expect him to still try to compete. He may have lost some confidence but I don't think he has a weak mind. He'll fight through it. Too much pride and too much ability to just walk away.

And let's see what happens when he learns how to keep his glutes activated at all times. ;-)

Bill M

The only way he would retire now is if his back problems are chronic. He's far too driven to quit otherwise.

He should retire. He has plenty of money and he can't possibly beat Jack's record anyway. Just give it up already for God's sake.

I don't think money has ever been part of the conversation. Even since he was an amateur.

Are you giving up because you won't beat Nicklaus' record?

Tiger likes competing. Why should he give that up?

Depending on how he goes in the Majors this year, it'll be a scaling back - which we have anyway, unofficially.

He'll say he's going to devote time to his family and golf course design business but will play a limited schedule.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Maybe he'll do a Jordan type of retirement, take a couple years off and come back.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!