IGNORED

Good Golf Books

EbonyGentleman
Note: This thread is 5887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Books I've read:

"The Masters" by Curt Sampson

"The Golfer's Guide to the Meaning of Life" by Gary Player

"A Disorderly Compendium of Golf" by Lorne Rubenstein and Jeff Neuman.
(Extremely addictive book on golf facts, legends and follies.)

The 'Eddie Caminetti' Series by Troon McAllister (Lee Gruenfeld).
"The Green" (This one is a Masterpiece about golf Hustler Eddie Caminetti and his appearance in a fictional Ryder Cup. Start with this one.)
"The Foursome" (Very under-rated, quite good. This is the second book.)
"Scratch" (The best of them that I have read. Eddie takes on the "Medalist Corporation." Chapter 19 will have you in tears laughing. This is the third book.)

Books I am currently Reading:
"The Immortal Bobby" by Ron Rappaport
"Harvey Penick's Little Red Book" by Harvey Penick

New Slogan for the PGA Tour in 2008:

"These guys are good....but we all know that you only watch if Tiger is playing."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible
Golf is not a Game of Perfect - Bob Rotella

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

Bud, Sweat and Tee's (Alan Shipnuck) is a great book if you're not looking to improve your game! If you are - Perfect/Golf Mind (Rotella)are the bext 2 i've read.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

i've read ben hogan's five fundamentals, harvey penick's little red book and currently reading the plane truth by jim hardy.

driver: Burner TP 9.5 S
FWY Wood: 906F2 15.5*
hybrid: Idea Pro 18*
irons: MP-57 3-W
Wedges: X-Forged 56, 60 Putter: Anser Redwood Putter Black Series i #9

Anything by John Feinstein. Most recently read Tales From Q-School.

Anything by Bob Rotella.

"Just A Range Ball In A Box Of Titleists" by Gary McCord.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Anything by John Feinstein. Most recently read Tales From Q-School.

I picked up Tales from Q-School not long ago and can't wait to get

into it. I also picked up his "Open" book about Bethpage Black. What's funny is that I bought "Open" in paperback, brand new at the Dollar Store for, (ha!) one dollar. They had several copies, and I thought about bumrushing them, and putting them on Amazon. Except someone is selling it for a penny on there. Oh well. Everyone has posted some interesting titles. I'll have to check those out as well.

"These guys are good....but we all know that you only watch if Tiger is playing."

I just read Golf is Not a Game of Perfect by Dr. Bob Rotella. You'll see me singing praises of it for quite a while.

Just a range ball in a box of Titleists by Gary McCord. His voice (and commentary) got me into the video game that got me into golf in the first place, and I love his storytelling and joking. I need to read David Feherty's books for the same reason.

The Four Cornerstones of Winning Golf by Butch Harmon sold me on golf fitness and gives some good exercises.

There's a series of books with titles of the form And Then X Told Y , for various values of 'X' and 'Y'. They're amusing anecdotes about famous golfers and good for a laugh.

I remember enjoying I Call the Shots by Johnny Miller.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"The Greatest Player Who Never Lived" and "The Greatest Course That Never Was" both by J. Michael Veron. Very good fiction books that make you think they were true stories. I absolutely loved them. Im also a fan of the Feinstein books.

Troon McAllister has some awesome books as well. Eddie Camanetti is my hero!
Driver FT-3 9deg w/ Aldila NV 65-S
3wood Rescue 3 15deg
Irons R7 TP w/ Flighted Rifle 6.5
Wedges 48deg TA900, 53deg TA588, 58deg TA900
Putter 2 ball center shaftedBall NXT Tour

"The Greatest Player Who Never Lived" and "The Greatest Course That Never Was" both by J. Michael Veron. Very good fiction books that make you think they were true stories. I absolutely loved them. Im also a fan of the Feinstein books.

I haven't read Barranca yet. I'm just waiting on the inevitable Auberlain vs. Annouih matchup.

I just finished "Paper Tiger" by Tom Coyne. He saves up some dough, moves to Florida, hires a coach and decides to dedicate all his time to improving his game. For one year all he does is practice so he can try to make it through Q school. Very good book.

Diablo Octane
Big Bertha 2007 3W 

Razr X 3H, 4H
Razr X Irons 5-PW 

Wedges X-Tour 56* and 60*

White Ice D.A.R.T Mallet 

Ball Tour i(s)

I have read Harvey Penick's Little Red Book at least 3 times and always find it inspiring. I picked up "The Grand Slam" by Mark Frost the other day and can't wait to get into it.

Driver: Launcher, 10.5°
Fairway: Big Bertha 2007, 15° & 18°
Hybrid: Rapture, 21° & 24°
Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5 - PW
Wedges: Vokey, 52° & 56°Putter: White Hot XG, Rossie Ball: HX HotI'm not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they'd come up sliced. ~ Lee Trevino

I have posted these out here previously but by all means check out Rick Reilly's "Missing Links" & "Shanks For Nothing". The 2 funniest golf books you will EVER read. Feinstein is a great writer as well and " A Good Walk Spoiled" is a classic.

I find the Troon McAlister books to be lacking. I find Eddie Caminetti to be obnoxious and McAlister makes the pros in 'The Green' seem like absolute idiots. I thought 'Scratch' was amusing and 'The Foursome" was tiresome.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Bud, Sweat and Tee's (Alan Shipnuck) is a great book if you're not looking to improve your game!

by all means check out Rick Reilly's "Missing Links"

Both are great books! I found myself completely hooked everytime I sat down to read a bit of each of these books.

"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

Here are some of my favourites:

Two Years in St. Andrews: George Peper
Golf in the Kingdom Michael Murphy (a classic)
Both by Mark Frost: The Grand Slam and the Greatest Game Ever Played (he has another coming out in November called The match)
Final Rounds James Dobson

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Lower your handicap in 10 weeks by Nick Wright

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

"Down the Fairway" by Bobby Jones

"Golf's Sacred Journey" David Cook

"The Mulligan" Wally Armstrong and Ken Blanchard

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

I haven't read many, but I like what I have. Here's a couple titles...

Ben Hogan: An American Life

Golf for Enlightenment: The Seven Lessons for the Game of Life

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 4 weeks later...
The Secret of Hogan's Swing by Tom Bertrand and Printer Bowler
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

Note: This thread is 5887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!