IGNORED

The 2015 Newport Cup

iacas
Note: This thread is 3040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Charlotte, NC, flight out to PHX at 10:10 pm from there...

AAhhh, I'd looked at that connection too, US Airways, I'm lucky to have a non-stop from Dulles.

Hmm, or could be a spy... I don't trust west coasters. How can you trust people that can't drive in the rain??

Isn't he from Arkansas?  I believe that's the west half's answer to West Virginia.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AAhhh, I'd looked at that connection too, US Airways, I'm lucky to have a non-stop from Dulles.

Good for you. At least your clubs won't have to make a connection. I will have to ShipStick mine...

Isn't he from Arkansas?  I believe that's the west half's answer to West Virginia.

Arkansas? Oh, in that case, I declare Kyle not a spy and a friend. Heck, I will even get in a car with him and some of 'The Others'.

Stand down soldiers.

Vishal S.

How can you trust people that can't drive in the rain??

Guessing you have never been to Portland.

Michael

Charlotte, NC, flight out to PHX at 10:10 pm from there...

At least two of "the others" (myself and @Big C ) are arriving Tuesday night about 15 minutes before you.  Think you can trust us to drive you safely to your hotel?? :whistle:

It might be raining .................... :-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by GolfLug

Will arrive in PHX at 11:22 PM Tuesday night.. Hope they have late night cabs in PHX.

I am in around the same time as you. I think there are a few others as well. Should have no issues with getting an Uber.

I haven't been able to touch my clubs since last Wednesday and its killing me. Playing two rounds this weekend, then moving into my new home tuesday/wednesday this week...once the dust settles next Friday I plan to put in some solid range time with my slow mo camera. Im in New Jersey now...feeling awfully blue lol

You're playing in NJ this weekend? Where at?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Guessing you have never been to Portland.

Never been to Portland. Something about your red pants in your avatar says you have exceptional driving skills though. :-)

At least two of "the others" (myself and @Big C ) are arriving Tuesday night about 15 minutes before you.  Think you can trust us to drive you safely to your hotel??

It might be raining ....................

Please send me your SS number, copy of your drivers license and your DMV (or whatever you call it on the WC) record with a $25 cashiers check for a background check. If approved you will be notified by US mail in 21 days.

NOTE: Please do not call or email about the status of your application. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED IF APPROVED.

Vishal S.

You're playing in NJ this weekend? Where at?

I played quail brook this morning but I'm headed back to Arkansas now in EWR. I was saying I was feeling blue because of how meh the east has become since I left hahaha. West coast is the best coast lol. Even though I live in flyover territory.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

What?

The Newport Cup is a Ryder Cup style event pitting a team from the western half of the U.S. under the captaincy of @mvmac against a team from the eastern side of the U.S. under the captaincy of @iacas.

We'll have three days of matches: two days of both fourball (best ball) and foursomes (alternate shot). The last day will be singles matches.

All matches will be scored as a nassau: match play with one point available for the front nine, back nine, and the total match play for a total of 18 points on each of the days. 27.5 points will be needed to win the 2015 Newport Cup.

Will there be two sets of matches for the 18 points on each day like Ryder Cup, i.e., morning wave and afternoon wave?

BTW, the wait for another month+ is already killing me as I am sure I am not alone and would be nice to see some more comments, brags, threats, trash talk, love notes, etc. on this thread.

Vishal S.

Will there be two sets of matches for the 18 points on each day like Ryder Cup, i.e., morning wave and afternoon wave?

Yeah, so there are 3 matches each morning and 3 matches each afternoon, each with 3 points available, hence the total of 18 points.  Then 6 singles matches on Saturday for another 18 points, leaving us at 54 total points available.

I've never played any kind of match play competition or team competition, so the whole thing is really exciting for me.  Especially the foursomes - no idea how that is gonna play out.

BTW, the wait for another month+ is already killing me as I am sure I am not alone and would be nice to see some more comments, brags, threats, trash talk, love notes, etc. on this thread.

Agree.  I'm excited to find out who I'll be paired with and competing against each day, but that is probably something that won't be decided until the last minute.

Yeah, so there are 3 matches each morning and 3 matches each afternoon, each with 3 points available, hence the total of 18 points.  Then 6 singles matches on Saturday for another 18 points, leaving us at 54 total points available.

Thanks! Sorta what I had in mind...

I've never played any kind of match play competition or team competition, so the whole thing is really exciting for me.  Especially the foursomes - no idea how that is gonna play out.

Yeah, me neither. This is a first. Wonder if we can do a 'prep' round (whatever that might be) on Wednesday.. That would be cool. I know there is stuff planned all day.

Agree.  I'm excited to find out who I'll be paired with and competing against each day, but that is probably something that won't be decided until the last minute.

I fear no human. Especially bunch of single digit scratch wannabes. They all taste like chicken. :-P

But seriously, since only six on either side, I think everybody will cross paths with everybody at some point.

Vishal S.

Yeah, me neither. This is a first. Wonder if we can do a 'prep' round (whatever that might be) on Wednesday.. That would be cool. I know there is stuff planned all day.

But seriously, since only six on either side, I think everybody will cross paths with everybody at some point.

I'm a little surprised that you guys haven't played much match play.  Most of my "casual" golf involves some kind of match  play, usually fourball matches.  Our interclub league is all fourball matches, with each hole counting as one point toward making the playoffs.  I really enjoy fourball matches, the format makes it relatively easy to forget a bad hole or two.  Foursome matches, on the other hand, can be pretty nerve-wracking.  Its one thing to hit a bad shot and have to play it.  Its a completely different thing to hit a bad shot, and know that your partner has to play it.  No matter the format, though, it'll be fun to compete.  Like @GolfLug I'm hoping to get a chance to play with and/or against each of the guys there.  Having scheduled pairings myself for a group of 12, though, I know that its much more complicated to arrange than it seems it should be.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

I too am looking forward to it. My cl

I'm a little surprised that you guys haven't played much match play.  Most of my "casual" golf involves some kind of match  play, usually fourball matches.  Our interclub league is all fourball matches, with each hole counting as one point toward making the playoffs.  I really enjoy fourball matches, the format makes it relatively easy to forget a bad hole or two.  Foursome matches, on the other hand, can be pretty nerve-wracking.  Its one thing to hit a bad shot and have to play it.  Its a completely different thing to hit a bad shot, and know that your partner has to play it.  No matter the format, though, it'll be fun to compete.  Like @GolfLug I'm hoping to get a chance to play with and/or against each of the guys there.  Having scheduled pairings myself for a group of 12, though, I know that its much more complicated to arrange than it seems it should be.

I run a game with 3 tee times every Sat and Sun morning. There are 35 guys on my email list, so I know what you mean. We just do a gross/net skins game, so we have a double bogey max. I have played match play foursomes and it does suck when you hit a ball OB and your partner has to tee it up again.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I'm a little surprised that you guys haven't played much match play.  Most of my "casual" golf involves some kind of match  play, usually fourball matches.

OK, then I should elaborate.  I do this all the time, but it's just with buddies.  So while it may be for a few bucks (usually $5 nassau), it doesn't really feel like a competition.  I'm thinking that even though NC is going to be fun and friendly, it will also feel a little more like a "real" competition, so I'm expecting the butterflies I get on the first tee of a tournament, for example.

What I meant was that I've never played a match play event that seemed at all "serious." :beer:

it will also feel a little more like a "real" competition

You better believe it ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

What?  No one else is hanging on to their original AT&T; unlimited iPhone data plan like me? :)

Yup. I still have mine from the first iPhone.

OK, then I should elaborate.  I do this all the time, but it's just with buddies.  So while it may be for a few bucks (usually $5 nassau), it doesn't really feel like a competition.  I'm thinking that even though NC is going to be fun and friendly, it will also feel a little more like a "real" competition, so I'm expecting the butterflies I get on the first tee of a tournament, for example.

What I meant was that I've never played a match play event that seemed at all "serious."

I haven't read this entire thread, but I really like @iacas initial post:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/53453/the-mental-game-in-two-words

"Enjoy the Pressure!"

Dave

You better believe it ;)

And for that reason, you need to get your head in the game!!  Otherwise I think that Erik might have to bring in @cipher as a one-handed alternate. :-P

I haven't read this entire thread, but I really like @iacas initial post:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/53453/the-mental-game-in-two-words

"Enjoy the Pressure!"

Oh, I totally agree.  Pressure is good.  Butterflies are good.  Competition is awesome! :beer:

And for that reason, you need to get your head in the game!!  Otherwise I think that Erik might have to bring in @cipher as a one-handed alternate.

I have no idea what you are talking about ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!