IGNORED

The Most Annoying Golf Partners

RFKFREAK
Note: This thread is 3310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm probably the Christopher Columbus guy. I rarely take the full 5 minutes, but lost balls are so costly I do expect a little effort from the playing partner out of courtesy. I more than reciprocate...

For me, it depends on how the pace of play is going.  If the course isn't crowded and we don't have anybody catching up/pushing us from behind, I'll take a couple minutes to look for a ball.  If it means we'd be holding up play or losing position to the group ahead, I'll just take a quick look and move on.  As one of my playing partners often says, "That's why you buy 'em by the dozen!".  :)

I lean toward being "Rangefinder Guy", but I make it quick - I pull the rangefinder out as we're driving up to our ball (we're usually in carts) and shoot the distance as we come to a stop.  Doing it that way takes no more time than it would to glance at a GPS to get the yardage, and less time than it would take to find a sprinkler head/yardage marker.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rangefinders are time savers IMO. Course markings are iffy and once you get to a range where hitting the green is a possibility a well struck shot that is pin high could save you time on the green. I've seen course markers as much as 20 yards different from flag yardage. Not just in the fairway but par 3's. Just last weekend I hit a flag on a hole marked 160 on the card that was 181 from where I stood to the flag. That's a two club difference.

Dave :-)

I am definitely the "rangefinder guy".  I know it annoys a few folks at first but they tend to start wanting numbers from me as the round goes on.  Its simple to use and I think in the course of a full round it saves some time.

The only real annoyance I have is slow play.  I do have a friend who will look for a ton of balls (guy is a freaken millionaire and acts like finding a ball is like winning the lottery).  However, most times he is pretty good about picking his spots if pace of play dictates.

"Pissed off guy" does not really bother me as long as he is focused on himself and not yelling at others.  I would rather play with someone who is pissed than a cheater who is always finding his ball in play.

"Pro in his own mind" guy can be annoying at times.  He is the guy who always has a tip or knows what you are doing wrong.  I do have a few buddies I trust and I am cool with their advice, but if I do not know you just leave your thoughts to yourself.

If I had to pick to one thing that happens most times is the "golf cart guy" who refuses to get out and walk to his ball (if nearby) and waits for his partner to hit.  If the course is dead then have a blast, but when I am waiting on you get out of the damn cart and walk to your next shot.

Practice swings are fine, but 5-10 in a row is a little too much.

I think if we are all being honest with ourselves, everyone has a trait in them on the course that might annoy someone else.  Its impossible to be perfect in life or on a golf course.  I think if you just follow basic etiquette and be mindful of your pace of your play then your playing partners and fellow golfers on the course will not have much to complain about.

• Upvote 1

I just can't get annoyed with the nice shot stuff. It's all perception. My parents are 70ish, cancer survivors and starting to show their age. One of my bad shots would be a good maybe even great shot for them. I always say thanks and roll with it.

Dave :-)

I just can't get annoyed with the nice shot stuff. It's all perception. My parents are 70ish, cancer survivors and starting to show their age. One of my bad shots would be a good maybe even great shot for them. I always say thanks and roll with it.

Understood, and maybe I'm a little sensitive to it b/c I hear it so frequently.  I always say thank you, but maybe it's the fact that the tone in his voice make sit sound very disingenuous, that grinds my gears.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

Understood, and maybe I'm a little sensitive to it b/c I hear it so frequently.  I always say thank you, but maybe it's the fact that the tone in his voice make sit sound very disingenuous, that grinds my gears.

I say "nice shot" based on the sound at impact, so it often winds up being a not-nice shot. But when the guy is making lousy contact all day, a crisply struck ball makes me instantly compelled to congratulate.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I say "nice shot" based on the sound at impact, so it often winds up being a not-nice shot. But when the guy is making lousy contact all day, a crisply struck ball makes me instantly compelled to congratulate.

Yeah, I have to stop myself from saying nice shot when I hear good contact because some people just get really annoyed by the fact that they made good contact and got a bad result.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Yeah, I have to stop myself from saying nice shot when I hear good contact because some people just get really annoyed by the fact that they made good contact and got a bad result.

I've picked up the Mark Crossfield doublespeak of "ah, a bit unlucky" that I use to cover for myself after saying "nice shot" when it ain't that nice, haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I've picked up the Mark Crossfield doublespeak of "ah, a bit unlucky" that I use to cover for myself after saying "nice shot" when it ain't that nice, haha.

If we end up playing a round together this season, I'm setting the line at 10.5 on the number of times I'll hear you say that to me. ;-)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

If we end up playing a round together this season, I'm setting the line at 10.5 on the number of times I'll hear you say that to me. ;-)

You must be a great ball striker then, haha

Dom's Sticks:

How about the "ball marker tosser" guys who constantly try to improve their putt by squeezing out the least little bit either left/right or tiny bit closer.. They toss the marker almost anywhere near the ball and snatch the ball up quickly, but then somehow slowly and carefully place the ball back down perfectly to line up the putt when it's their turn again.. It's great. I've seen more than more gamer do it when they notice a ball/spike mark in their direct line.. Somehow the next putt after they replace.. the mark is out of their line.. One other one I love is the "just walk up and casually whack the 4ft putt" like no big deal.. It's good... and if anyone says.. "Um no one gave that" they get really upset.. And say I thought It was good?!? I didn't even try to putt for real! Sheesh! ok I'll putt it then.. .um...after you have the read on the break?

I still gotta go with the tag along guy "swing coach" who was "great the other week"

Ill give a pointer now and then but the stranger being your caddie is a little odd to me.

callaway.gif Razr Fit 8.5* Stiff

callaway.gif Big Bertha Hawkeye 3W

callaway.gifFT Fusion 2H, 3H

callaway.gif  X-22 Tour 5- PW PX 6.0

vokey.gif SM5 48-08 FG
vokey.gif SM5 54-10 SG

vokey.gif SM5 59-07 SG

Note: This thread is 3310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!