IGNORED

What do Y'all Think of Stephanie Wei?

Gunther
Note: This thread is 3301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If Wei was warned then they were within their rights to revoke her credentials for the season.  I don't see why her being female or a minority would/should influence their decision.  My guess is the PGA Tour has their reasons for not wanting others to "broadcast" practice rounds, possible reasons are oversaturation, maintaining high product standards (tournament play only) aired, or future revenue opportunities.  You typically don't see qualifying laps from NASCAR except for Dayton 500.  You don't typically see baseball intra-squad games during spring training. Every sport has some control over "broadcasting" their product, they own the product, so it's within their rights to determine how it's packaged and broadcast.

for nascar, you not only see every qualifying session, you also see every practice session...

[i]sigh[/i] and then, after this nonsense, the PGA Tour posted a video of Tiger Woods' tee shot at #4 this morning on The Facebook (but not on Google+). Still nothing from yesterday...

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's hard to defend her when there was a warning and this is the existing rule, however it's not really a rule worth defending.   I get the sense from the article that reported it that she didn't think that Periscope was the same as the earlier incident that she was warned about and felt it was worth trying, or at least explain away if confronted.

If there was a warranted punishment, they went overboard.   The Tour comes off terrible, and Votaw is a horrible mouth-piece for this.   I suspect that she has an axe to grind about the draconian tour policies but nothing I've read tells me she is malicious here, nor is she deliberately trying to stir things up.

Seriously Votaw's comments come off pretty badly.   A year suspension with a "we'll consider it" (for the credentials for next year) plus the "We called her bluff" (makes it sound more confrontational that it really is) and the whole spiel about how they own everything, need to monetize it and that the amount of money they make is paramount just comes off poorly.

I think Wei should have asked about Periscope and doing it first to head this off.   I also think the Tour needs to watch that they don't come off as money grubbing a-holes at the fans' expense.   Yes, they are there to get the most value/dollar that they can.   It benefits everyone for them to get maximum dollar, but the quotes from the reporting here tell me that they are more concerned with the money than the overall experience and growth of the game and that is not ok.   They would benefit overall from them strangle-holding the coverage in all ways.   The more they tighten their grip on their product, the more star systems will slip through their fingers.

• Upvote 1

—Adam

Thanks, didn't know of her.  Went to her site and I like her articles.

Bill - 

I was listening to a podcast this morning that she appeared on. She said that there is someone else who has posted videos to twitter and meerkat (which is apparently similar to periscope). He hasn't seen his credentials revoked by the PGA Tour.

The whole thing just makes me annoyed at the PGA Tour. Those quotes are ridiculous and the punishment is draconian and arbitrary. What do they gain by doing this? Affirming the value of content they don't/can't sell? I don't have any actual proof, but it really seems to me that they were personally targeting Wei for whatever reason.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I was listening to a podcast this morning that she appeared on. She said that there is someone else who has posted videos to twitter and meerkat (which is apparently similar to periscope). He hasn't seen his credentials revoked by the PGA Tour. The whole thing just makes me annoyed at the PGA Tour. Those quotes are ridiculous and the punishment is draconian and arbitrary. What do they gain by doing this? Affirming the value of content they don't/can't sell? I don't have any actual proof, but it really seems to me that they were personally targeting Wei for whatever reason.

I think I listened to the same podcast. All of her stuff about trying to expose the PGA Tour to new technologies, etc. rang a bit hollow (that's their job, and their decision to make), but it backed up how stupid the PGA Tour looks in this (to me at least)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I've followed her on twitter for a while.  I like her writing.

Yes, she did break the rules, but I think the PGA Tour is going way overboard.  Suspend her for the whole season?  Pretty ridiculous.  So now she's out of a job for the year?  And she's a lowly blogger.  It's not like she was raking in the big bucks.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

I think I listened to the same podcast. All of her stuff about trying to expose the PGA Tour to new technologies, etc. rang a bit hollow (that's their job, and their decision to make), but it backed up how stupid the PGA Tour looks in this (to me at least)

I agree, it's one of those situations where they'd have been better off with a minor punishment and not give her the opportunity to play the martyr.

Joe Paradiso

Steph applied for a Euro Tour press pass and is headed across the pond to cover the BMW and Irish Open. I've been on Twitter for about 2 years, maybe made 5 or 6 posts in that time. I congratulated her on it last night and within 2 min received a Favorite from her. Made me feel pretty special. I dunno if it's a big deal to receive one but it's my first.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

This is an interesting situation.

The rule itself might need to be reviewed. Maybe they don't allow the reporter to tape for more than a certain length of time, but they might allow some live streaming to at least go on.

However, a rule is a rule and she broke it more than once. I just don't buy the excuse she is giving that she didn't know it was wrong. BS. She had video of a practice round before that they asked her to take down, she was again taking video during a practice round, I just don't see how she could think was going to be okay.

Michael

Note: This thread is 3301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!