IGNORED

Polara, a new illegal driver approved by the USRGA

Note: This thread is 3314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
You are entitled to your opinion.  Mine is that this whole organization has, as its purpose, deceiving people into buying illegal equipment through deception, and any golf organization that chooses to become associated with them should be shunned.

Sorry, no, SNAG does not deserve to be shunned. It's almost as if you're not even aware of what SNAG is.

It's also the only company on a quick look that deserves to be free of your shunning. They OBVIOUSLY make non-conforming stuff… for kids.

You're over-reacting re: SNAG. And probably for the other stuff, too, but I didn't comment on that and am not now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry, no, SNAG does not deserve to be shunned. It's almost as if you're not even aware of what SNAG is.

It's also the only company on a quick look that deserves to be free of your shunning. They OBVIOUSLY make non-conforming stuff… for kids.

You're over-reacting re: SNAG. And probably for the other stuff, too, but I didn't comment on that and am not now.

I know what SNAG does.  Feel free to not shun them.  But so long as they lend their support to an organization whose whole purpose seems to me to invite deceptive advertising, I will.  Not that I would be using their services or products anyway.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
But so long as they lend their support to an organization whose whole purpose seems to me to invite deceptive advertising, I will.  Not that I would be using their services or products anyway.

:doh: Okay. :-P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I know what SNAG does.  Feel free to not shun them.  But so long as they lend their support to an organization whose whole purpose seems to me to invite deceptive advertising, I will.  Not that I would be using their services or products anyway.

When you turn 75 or 80 you might use their gear. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Are you referring to the Starting New At Golf SNAG?  I don't see any reason to shun them, or where they invite deceptive advertising.  It looks like kids toys, not golf clubs any of us would use.

Joe Paradiso

Are you referring to the Starting New At Golf SNAG?  I don't see any reason to shun them, or where they invite deceptive advertising.  It looks like kids toys, not golf clubs any of us would use.

Yes.  He's talking about the USRGA in regards to the deceptive advertising, though.  And he's just saying that anybody that supports the USRGA is a company he wants to shun.

Here's their website: http://usrga.org/

FYI, I just learned SNAG is endorsed by Jack Nicklaus.

Yes.  He's talking about the USRGA in regards to the deceptive advertising, though.  And he's just saying that anybody that supports the USRGA is a company he wants to shun.

Here's their website: http://usrga.org/

FYI, I just learned SNAG is endorsed by Jack Nicklaus.

Thanks Drew, I guess some could confuse USGA with USRGA.   A person who doesn't know the difference between the USGA and USRGA is probably not someone worried about playing non-conforming equipment so not sure how many people are actually duped.

Joe Paradiso

Thanks Drew, I guess some could confuse USGA with USRGA.   A person who doesn't know the difference between the USGA and USRGA is probably not someone worried about playing non-conforming equipment so not sure how many people are actually duped.

It sounds like a joint rules body between the USGA and R&A.; And some people don't read carefully. It's shady, I'd say.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

It sounds like a joint rules body between the USGA and R&A.; And some people don't read carefully. It's shady, I'd say.

I made my joke at the beginning of the thread whilst uninformed, and now that I'm still uninformed, but just a teeny bit less, I think it's probably a bit unfair to call them shady.

Sure, the acronym looks very similar to USGA, but they only have so many choices, right?  I guess they could have gone with ARGA?  Another point in their defense is that when you do the google search, the return is very clear ...

"USRGA - US Recreational Golf Association" - its spelled out quite clearly.

Their logo spells out the words as well - to go along with a comical silhouette of either a golfer cheering or slipping and falling, I'm not sure which.

http://usrga.org/

Just reading their mission statement on their homepage, and being a dad whose oldest kid is getting to the age where I'd like to start to get him interested in golf, I have a hard time disagreeing with any of it. :beer:

I made my joke at the beginning of the thread whilst uninformed, and now that I'm still uninformed, but just a teeny bit less, I think it's probably a bit unfair to call them shady.

Sure, the acronym looks very similar to USGA, but they only have so many choices, right?  I guess they could have gone with ARGA?  Another point in their defense is that when you do the google search, the return is very clear ...

"USRGA - US Recreational Golf Association" - its spelled out quite clearly.

Their logo spells out the words as well - to go along with a comical silhouette of either a golfer cheering or slipping and falling, I'm not sure which.

http://usrga.org/

Just reading their mission statement on their homepage, and being a dad whose oldest kid is getting to the age where I'd like to start to get him interested in golf, I have a hard time disagreeing with any of it.

" Any commercially available golf equipment is assumed to conform to the USRGA Rules, provided it is powered solely by the golfers swing."

Rigorous certification for Polara to be proud of, no doubt, haha. The only stuff they'd not allow is basically anything that came out of Rodney Dangerfield's bag in Caddyshack.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I don't really have a dog in this fight but marketing overall is shady.  Consider that over the last four year TM has advertised an additional 10 yards off the tee with each successive driver release.  Basic math would indicate that I should be driving the ball over 350 yards but I'm not.

Joe Paradiso

I don't really have a dog in this fight but marketing overall is shady.  Consider that over the last four year TM has advertised an additional 10 yards off the tee with each successive driver release.  Basic math would indicate that I should be driving the ball over 350 yards but I'm not.

I can explain that ... after you turn 30, age takes off 10 yards yearly, so the 10 they are promising is just going to cancel out the 10 that you lost for being old. :-P

Of course, by that logic, since I haven't bought a new Taylor Made driver ... EVER, and I'm asdlkjfasdvboqvftsaldfcg years old now, I should be driving it about 80 yards.

So maybe my math isn't 100% sound. :dance:

[quote name="turtleback" url="/t/81162/polara-a-new-illegal-driver-approved-by-the-usrga/18#post_1124468"] I know what SNAG does.  Feel free to not shun them.  But so long as they lend their support to an organization whose whole purpose seems to me to invite deceptive advertising, I will.  Not that I would be using their services or products anyway.

When you turn 75 or 80 you might use their gear. . .[/quote] Easy there youngster...

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

We are pretty knowledgeable here, yet people have recommended the Polara ball right on this website without realizing it is illegal - because of their deceptive advertising, IMO.  Now there is an organization who intentionally, IMO, gives themselves a name that just INVITES confusion with the USGA and provides a solid basis for deceptive advertising.  Now if they adopt a Code of Ethics for their member/supporting partners in which they require them to prominently say "Not approved for official USGA play" in the ads for any non--conforming equipment I might change my opinion.  But as it stands, the USRGA seems like a scam to me and I want no part of them or their supporters.

When you turn 75 or 80 you might use their gear. . .

I'm 59 and have lost 30-40 yards over the years without resorting to cheating, so I do not think that is likely.  When I CAN'T play I WON'T play.  Deluding myself by hitting a 250 yard drive with a 210 yard swing is not my idea of fun.

I don't have them put the bumpers up when I go bowling, either, even thought that would make converting a 10-pin easier.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I'm 59 and have lost 30-40 yards over the years without resorting to cheating, so I do not think that is likely.  When I CAN'T play I WON'T play.  Deluding myself by hitting a 250 yard drive with a 210 yard swing is not my idea of fun.

I don't have them put the bumpers up when I go bowling, either, even thought that would make converting a 10-pin easier.

At least not a split. . .

If your goal is to play golf just to get out there on the course and enjoy a lazy Sunday morning/afternoon with your wife/friends I would think hitting the ball 250 yards is a big plus. I actually know a few people who use non-conforming clubs and it's not like they are cheating anyone by doing so. . .They let everyone know the club is non-conforming.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Really only cheating if you post for handicap and even then harmless unless used to compete against others. IMO same category as 15" holes and all that. The deception here is that the equipment really won't make anyone longer or better every single time, swing flaws and lack of skill are still the biggest factor in their performance. No more or less disingenuous than all the big names promising 15 more yards every time their new gear is launched. You still have to swing it. But if it helps a little bit and keeps someone out there golfing rather than settling for the pasture I am all for it. Even if all the help is false advertising inspired confidence. All of it unnecessary if people would just swallow their pride and play appropriate tees.

Dave :-)

Really only cheating if you post for handicap and even then harmless unless used to compete against others. IMO same category as 15" holes and all that. The deception here is that the equipment really won't make anyone longer or better every single time, swing flaws and lack of skill are still the biggest factor in their performance. No more or less disingenuous than all the big names promising 15 more yards every time their new gear is launched. You still have to swing it. But if it helps a little bit and keeps someone out there golfing rather than settling for the pasture I am all for it. Even if all the help is false advertising inspired confidence. All of it unnecessary if people would just swallow their pride and play appropriate tees.

You could even argue that the big name clubs are the ones being disingenuous about adding distance. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!