IGNORED

Masters Field Size

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 3302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should the Master's Increase The Players Field

• Yes
    • No

OK man, just what is dumb about it?

I think maybe you weren't too clear.  Were you suggesting that they shorten the course for EVERYBODY so the seniors and shorter hitters could compete again, possibly?  Because I think most of us read that as you are suggesting the shorten it just for the seniors, as in let them play separate tees, and that is why you're getting that response.

If it's the former, he wouldn't have said that.  He'd likely still disagree though, because all that means is that the young guys are going to shoot -25 and the seniors are still going to miss the cut and be 25 strokes behind, but they'll do it at "even par" instead of at +10.  Whats the difference?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sure! And while we're at it, let's handicap the amateurs to make them more "competitive" too. Hell with enough strokes, I might even get in and have a chance!

Now that's dumb!.......................................................

Hate crowned cups.

• Administrator

I think maybe you weren't too clear.  Were you suggesting that they shorten the course for EVERYBODY so the seniors and shorter hitters could compete again, possibly?  Because I think most of us read that as you are suggesting the shorten it just for the seniors, as in let them play separate tees, and that is why you're getting that response.

If it's the former, he wouldn't have said that.  He'd likely still disagree though, because all that means is that the young guys are going to shoot -25 and the seniors are still going to miss the cut and be 25 strokes behind, but they'll do it at "even par" instead of at +10.  Whats the difference?

I think it's dumb either way he meant it. If he meant it as just changing it for the seniors but making others play the regular course, then it's extra dumb.

The seniors are not the ones we care about. They have their own majors. Distance is an advantage.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Now that's dumb!.......................................................

Sarcasm......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Appreciate your response in trying to clarify, but I thought it was very straight forward. Seniors play from separate tees. I fail to see where or why folks get their nickers in a twist and get smart mouthed in their responses. As I stated prior, they changed the course length to try and curtail the young guns and it doesn't seem to be working, but it's removing just about all of the seniors who still have game. This was only a what if suggestion and not meant to incur the wrath of the keyboard warrior clan.............

Hate crowned cups.

• Administrator
Seniors play from separate tees.

Then that locks it up: dumbest thing I'll hear this week.

If the reasons why are not evident, then I don't know what to tell you.

I mean, seriously man… I'm gonna chalk it up to a giant brain fart and move on. Scrubbing from memory in 3… 2… 1…

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• disco111 - Your idea is fine for silly season tournaments but not a tournament that is suppose to determine the best golfer.  If you are going to give seniors an advantage, why not give an advantage to women, juniors and anyone under a certain weight (as they tend to hit is shorter also)?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I see no reason to dilute the quality of the field, and the tournament.

Back to the OP...do you think the current selection criteria results in the strongest field possible?  Wouldn't the quality of the field be less diluted if they simply took the OWGR Top 90 instead of including the AMs and Ben Crenshaws?  Wouldn't including OWGR 51 to 60, Major Winners inside the OWGR Top 100 and current Fed Ex Top 30 actually strengthen the overall field (assuming you keep Ben and the AMs)?

• Administrator
Back to the OP...do you think the current selection criteria results in the strongest field possible?  Wouldn't the quality of the field be less diluted if they simply took the OWGR Top 90 instead of including the AMs and Ben Crenshaws?  Wouldn't including OWGR 51 to 60, Major Winners inside the OWGR Top 100 and current Fed Ex Top 30 actually strengthen the overall field (assuming you keep Ben and the AMs)?

I don't think anyone is arguing that the strength the field is high. I think they're simply saying it doesn't matter Or even helps make the Masters special.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the strength the field is high. I think they're simply saying it doesn't matter Or even helps make the Masters special.

I don't disagree with that but should limited field events with questionable field strength be considered majors just because they make for good TV viewing?  Won't including all major winners inside the OWGR Top 100 both strengthen the field AND make for better TV viewing?

• Administrator
I don't disagree with that but should limited field events with questionable field strength be considered majors just because they make for good TV viewing?

Straw man. "Good TV viewing" is not what makes The Masters a major.

I don't disagree with that but should limited field events with questionable field strength be considered majors just because they make for good TV viewing?  Won't including all major winners inside the OWGR Top 100 both strengthen the field AND make for better TV viewing?

Not really. The Masters is The Masters because the players value that tournament above all others. Same with the other venues. Heck the British Open wasn't even popular till Arnie made an effort to make it important. The winnings was too little versus the cost to fly over there for most people. If someone like Arnie didn't make it important then we might not be talking about that tournament at all today as it is now.

When the players stop caring about it then we have to worry.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Masters is it's own thing. Same course they honor past champions etc. Really no reason to compare it to other majors because it's not like other majors

Dave :-)

If anything they should keep the field as small as possible. It's a major. Open it up to 100+ players would take away from it's value as a major.

If I had my way, I would decrease the number of players in all the regular tournaments. I would let the top 50 ranked players in the field, and the other 50 would come from a Monday/Tuesday qualifier, plus ties. This would make for a more competitive value for spectators, and TV audience. 150 is just too many.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I would think there are a few guys that could be added that wouldn't dilute the field. I don't know what it is, but there are some decent players left out, a few I mentioned and even a couple of the guys from Europe.  Matt Jones for instance.  Right now, when the Master's begins there are at least 15-20 who have no chance, therefore it has to be easier to win this tournament than a regular tour event.  The Master's is my favorite tour event to watch, but having a few more golfers i don't think would dilute the field.  I don't know what that is, but even if it was the Top 75 on the World Golf Rankings instead of the Top 50.  That would only add a handful of other players and I think a few more good players makes it more interesting.  Although with Spieth lapping the field, maybe not.

But if they don't it won't bother me either, I love the Master's.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I came across this poll after reading some guy whine about the TV coverage for the Masters.  What's wrong with the way it is?

I will suggest a problem with changing it:  It becomes just another tournament.

Limited TV coverage, limited invitational field, past champions coming back, all make the Masters what it is.  Change them and you have just another PGA tournament.  whoopee.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

If anything they should keep the field as small as possible. It's a major. Open it up to 100+ players would take away from it's value as a major.

If I had my way, I would decrease the number of players in all the regular tournaments. I would let the top 50 ranked players in the field, and the other 50 would come from a Monday/Tuesday qualifier, plus ties. This would make for a more competitive value for spectators, and TV audience. 150 is just too many.

All other majors have a full field, does it take away from the US Open, the Open Championship or the PGA Championship?

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

All other majors have a full field, does it take away from the US Open, the Open Championship or the PGA Championship?

Sometimes, yes. Maybe it's just me, but the inevitable list of no-names who grace the US open and PGA leaderboards for the first day or two every year don't do much to get me excited. Golf is a fickle game and I don't really want an unproven random guy catching lightning in a bottle for four days and winning the Masters. It doesn't feel right.

Note: This thread is 3302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!