IGNORED

140mph + head speed, but driver is still bad.

Note: This thread is 3110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd say that is backwards. The better your swing mechanics, the easier it is to hit the ball solidly with varying swing speeds.

Sure, this is actually what I meant, but my delivery was less than optimum. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fine, I will take a quick vid down at the driving range in the next few days to a week。I need to buy a club head speed meter, will this do?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/YUPITERU-%E3%83%A6%E3%83%94%E3%83%86%E3%83%AB-%E3%82%B4%E3%83%AB%E3%83%95%E3%82%B9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B0%E3%83%88%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8A%E3%83%BC-GST-5-GL/dp/B00SSXIGKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1428875988&sr;=8-1&keywords;=%E3%83%98%E3%83%83%E3%83%89%E3%82%B9%E3%83%94%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89%E6%B8%AC%E5%AE%9A%E5%99%A8

I suppose this way, I can get people who actually can help with my problem identify what I am doing wrong.

Anything else you want me to do?

It would help to see your swing to be able to spot swing flaws. You would get better feedback with a visual. Do you have a trackman anywhere?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Fine, I will take a quick vid down at the driving range in the next few days to a week。I need to buy a club head speed meter, will this do?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/YUPITERU-%E3%83%A6%E3%83%94%E3%83%86%E3%83%AB-%E3%82%B4%E3%83%AB%E3%83%95%E3%82%B9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B0%E3%83%88%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8A%E3%83%BC-GST-5-GL/dp/B00SSXIGKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1428875988&sr;=8-1&keywords;=%E3%83%98%E3%83%83%E3%83%89%E3%82%B9%E3%83%94%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89%E6%B8%AC%E5%AE%9A%E5%99%A8

I suppose this way, I can get people who actually can help with my problem identify what I am doing wrong.

Anything else you want me to do?

This is similar to the SS radar unit. I've registered high swing speeds with different clubs with this type of radar unit. I just ignore the absolute readings. Here's one I took with a 3W and 3H:

Obviously wrong. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I have a cousin that worked for a large oil company. They would fly to Japan on business. He said it was cheaper for them to fly over to Hawaii, and play golf, th3n go back to Japan for business. This was around 1998, so I don't know their exact situation, company jet, etc. Jack

Jack

From my understanding of what I've read, golf courses are usually fairly short in Japan due to space issues. Taking that into account and your 300+ yard drives with a 3-wood, why would you need to even carry a driver? Hitting it 300+ "regularly" is pretty darn good, and the number on the club doesn't matter when compared to the number on the scorecard. Might I suggest that a temporary solution would be to just ditch the driver and play without it until you have your issue figured out?

The problem could be too much spin, but it's hard to tell from just a description. A swing video (with slow motion) would be the easiest way for anyone here to see what you might be doing wrong and give you a tip to fix it. Don't worry about a swing speed radar, just post a swing so we can help you with your potential technique problem.

I can't get to a driving range for a few days, but I could do a few air swings and post them, I just don't know how much they will be and indication of what I am doing?  And Yes, most holes are around 300-380 yards for a par 4 some even less. I usually only use a drive on the par 5's or on a straight par 4 and aim for the green if it is short enough.

@ Jackal66 , I don't quite follow what you are saying. But I am certainly interested in giving it a try.

@ Lihu , so is it worth the money to get one? Or are they pretty much wrong most of the time?

I usually only use a drive on the par 5's or on a straight par 4 and aim for the green if it is short enough.

But my question is why would you do this? You say that you hit it further and more consistently with the 3-wood, so why not just use that instead? You get better results more consistently, so I would recommend continuing to use your 3-wood on the par 5's and straight par 4's since it goes further and is much more consistent from your comments. This would, of course, not be an ideal strategy once your driver troubles are sorted out however.

But my question is why would you do this? You say that you hit it further and more consistently with the 3-wood, so why not just use that instead? You get better results more consistently, so I would recommend continuing to use your 3-wood on the par 5's and straight par 4's since it goes further and is much more consistent from your comments. This would, of course, not be an ideal strategy once your driver troubles are sorted out however.

On days when we have a competition (usually work related, I rarely compete in any club competitions), I would be lucky if I hit either the 3 wood or the driver. My 2 iron is my favorite club and like I said before, it usually goes straight and I can drive about 280-290 consistently which is more than enough to have a sand wedge onto the green.

This still does not detract from the fact that I would like to be able to hit the distance that I should be getting with the driver. Like I said, I mainly play for fun.

@ Jackal66 , thanks, very much appreciated.

Originally Posted by JapanDave

My 2 iron is my favorite club and like I said before, it usually goes straight and I can drive about 280-290 consistently which is more than enough to have a sand wedge onto the green.

:bugout: ... and your handicap is only 9?   Where and how are you losing strokes?   If I can do the above, I will probably shooting in low 70s.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

... and your handicap is only 9?   Where and how are you losing strokes?   If I can do the above, I will probably shooting in low 70s.

My putting sucks and I tend OB a lot in the earlier holes at the start of the day. My best score on a non competition day ever is 76 and I did a triple boggy on the first hole due to an OB shot. :loco: But, I did also have an eagle in that round as well.

Lately, I have not been able to get to the coarse as much, maybe once a month and my business keeps me from getting to the driving range on weekdays, which means I have been only getting low 80's occasionally. But mostly I have getting mid 80's. Again , I am hitting at least 4-5 OB's in a round of late especially when I use the driver.

I want to get to the driving range and get a vid of my swing and then you will probably see where I am going wrong. I will post one up ASAP, I just have to get time to get there.

My putting sucks and I tend OB a lot in the earlier holes at the start of the day. My best score on a non competition day ever is 76 and I did a triple boggy on the first hole due to an OB shot. But, I did also have an eagle in that round as well.

Lately, I have not been able to get to the coarse as much, maybe once a month and my business keeps me from getting to the driving range on weekdays, which means I have been only getting low 80's occasionally. But mostly I have getting mid 80's. Again , I am hitting at least 4-5 OB's in a round of late especially when I use the driver.

I want to get to the driving range and get a vid of my swing and then you will probably see where I am going wrong. I will post one up ASAP, I just have to get time to get there.

It does not sound like you need to work on your drives.   Your 2i is long enough but good luck with your endeavor.  Once you post your swing on Swing thread, there will experts here to help you.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Unless your golf swing looks something like this, don't bother posting it.

Might want to lay off a bit there. The guy wants to ask for advice. Even if his swing speed is legit or not it doesn't discredit the guy asking for help with his driver.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Might want to lay off a bit there. The guy wants to ask for advice. Even if his swing speed is legit or not it doesn't discredit the guy asking for help with his driver.

You're right. Apologies. Trying to be funny, but came off a little harsh.

I'm confident the OP has mistaken clubhead speed for ball speed. Ball speeds of 150 with a driver and 125 with a 7 iron make a lot of sense... Clubhead speed makes none. Also those ball speeds are very close to the pga tour average which would mean that he is a fast swinger.

I'm confident the OP has mistaken clubhead speed for ball speed. Ball speeds of 150 with a driver and 125 with a 7 iron make a lot of sense... Clubhead speed makes none. Also those ball speeds are very close to the pga tour average which would mean that he is a fast swinger.

I thought so too. But you can't hit a 2-iron 290 yards with those kinds of ball speeds.

I thought so too. But you can't hit a 2-iron 290 yards with those kinds of ball speeds.

I really want to post a vid ASAP and I can't get to the driving range. I could tee up an empty tee and take vid and you guys can judge for yourselves if the shop is fudging its speeds???

I have ordered a swing speed monitor and should be here in the next few days. But if anyone wants a vid before that I am happy to post one.

I really want to post a vid ASAP and I can't get to the driving range. I could tee up an empty tee and take vid and you guys can judge for yourselves if the shop is fudging its speeds???

I have ordered a swing speed monitor and should be here in the next few days. But if anyone wants a vid before that I am happy to post one.

That's all well and great, but is the purpose of your video just to prove your swing speed (it's been done in the past by others, to mixed results). Wasn't the whole point of this thread trying to figure out why you weren't hitting your driver well?

Get some video and start a swing thread. Work on this:

Check these two threads out.  To reduce spin, you need to change your angle of attack to be nearly zero or even positive.

I don't really care what your swing speed is or isn't. You shouldn't care what I think it is, either. Distance is the hardest part of the game, and if you have it in spades, you should be focusing on the parts of your game to get you down better than a 9, not worrying about what a bunch of people you've never met before think of your claims on the internet.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!