IGNORED

Golfer Pulls Gun on Group Over Golf Etiquette Dispute at New Britain Course [NBC Local]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can somebody explain to me what the perks are for carrying a gun everywhere you go? I can see maybe having one hidden in your nightstand at home, but that's about it. Are people really that afraid of strangers?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can somebody explain to me what the perks are for carrying a gun everywhere you go? I can see maybe having one hidden in your nightstand at home, but that's about it. Are people really that afraid of strangers?

It's your CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT!  If you don't you are a commie and a sissy.

You never know when a crazy is going to take aim at your family.

And on the golf course you never know when someone is going to hit up on you. (joking)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I wonder if a bullet proof vest would hurt or help my swing. Oh dear it could be a rules violation.

Dave :-)

I thought it the same way as your bold statement above.  Then, he could have left his gun at home - "Honey, I am going to play golf with my buddies.  They are pretty strong & nice bunch and I don't think I will need my gun.  Can you keep an eye on my gun while I am out? "   Instead, he exercised his right to carry it all the way to his golf cart.

The article was a short one without mentioning much detail.  We are left to speculate.

If he came from home and went directly to the course I'd agree 100%.  What if he came from work, or had to deposit a large amount of cash at the bank from the night before?  Most guys that I know that have carry permits wouldn't carry just to go play golf.

Joe Paradiso

It's your CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT!  If you don't you are a commie and a sissy.

You never know when a crazy is going to take aim at your family.

And on the golf course you never know when someone is going to hit up on you. (joking)

Shorty it's a good thing you don't have access to firearms, on your grumpy days no one would be safe. :-P

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

If he came from home and went directly to the course I'd agree 100%.  What if he came from work, or had to deposit a large amount of cash at the bank from the night before?  Most guys that I know that have carry permits wouldn't carry just to go play golf.

If it's me I leave it in the trunk. Not worried about theft, my clubs are in there all the time and worth more than my gun.

FWIW I have a permit I don't run around with a gun all the time. In fact I haven't taken it from my house yet in 2015 and we take in thousands every day in our office.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

I thought it the same way as your bold statement above.  Then, he could have left his gun at home - "Honey, I am going to play golf with my buddies.  They are pretty strong & nice bunch and I don't think I will need my gun.  Can you keep an eye on my gun while I am out? "   Instead, he exercised his right to carry it all the way to his golf cart.

The article was a short one without mentioning much detail.  We are left to speculate.

Then the guy's phone conversation to his wife would be ...  "Honey, I am gonna play some golf after work.   Don't wait up for me for dinner.   Have bail money ready in case I get arrested for brandishing my gun to settle a golf etiquette issue.   The old timers these days are so pushy around the course and I am likely to lose my temper."

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Then the guy's phone conversation to his wife would be ...  "Honey, I am gonna play some golf after work.   Don't wait up for me for dinner.   Have bail money ready in case I get arrested for brandishing my gun to settle a golf etiquette issue.   The old timers these days are so pushy around the course and I am likely to lose my temper."

Like I said I think we're only getting half the story because guys that have concealed carry permits know that the first time they mess up they will lose the CC permit so he had to feel very threatened or was very drunk or high.

Joe Paradiso

Like I said I think we're only getting half the story because guys that have concealed carry permits know that the first time they mess up they will lose the CC permit so he had to feel very threatened or was very drunk or high.

I agree. Also possibly quite immature. This kind of thing (obviously speculating here cuz I agree with you that we don't have the whole story) is why I don't mind places (I recently learned DC is one of these places ;)) who have stringent rules for who can get a permit. 22 year old frat boy hotheads need not apply.

Quote:

Hopefully, he had learned a lesson.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Unfortunately the biggest qualifier is passing the background check. The class is easy, not unlike passing a driving test. I know a woman that just got her permit and she was flat out giddy about it. Told anyone that would listen proudly showing her completion certificate. This person is the wannabe type. She has a 2014 Harley she is too scared to ride, she never takes it out of her neighborhood in fear of traffic. She also doesn't drive in snow. May as well say it she works for me. Loyal but incapable of resolving the most simple customer service issue even when the customer is passive. She would be the last person I would want reaching for a gun during a violent encounter. [quote name="rkim291968" url="/t/81831/golfer-pulls-gun-on-group-over-golf-etiquette-dispute-at-new-britain-course-nbc-local/54#post_1139713"] Hopefully, he had learned a lesson.   [/quote] Lost his permit no doubt.

My brother & dad pretty much conceal & carry everywhere they go and they are two of the most level headed people I've ever known. Crazy sh*t happens when you least expect it, if you're lucky enough hopefully it will never happen. Last year, a friend of a friend was walking home from a pub in a relatively crime free area and he got jumped. Jaw was broken in multiple different places, he thought he was going to die. I saw his face a month after it happened, horribly disfigured. He carries now.

My sister carries, she had to pull on a creeper that was stalking her.

I've thought about it, I've been in situations that could have turned out really bad. Luckily they didn't and I'm still here, but it makes you wonder "was I prepared if things escalated? did I even have a way out?" To answer your question, are people really that afraid of strangers? Not necessarily, people are afraid of being caught in unexpected situations that can result in permanent injury or death.

• Upvote 1

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

he could have left his gun at home - "Honey, I am going to play golf with my buddies.  They are pretty strong & nice bunch and I don't think I will need my gun.  Can you keep an eye on my gun while I am out? "   Instead, he exercised his right to carry it all the way to his golf cart.

Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

-Gas station robberies could and do happen everywhere at any time.

-Some parts of town can see some strange activity, near campuses thugs are out mugging/raping/shooting people with much regularity (Marquette and UW-Milwaukee campuses are regularly in the news for such events)

-Road rage happens all the time.  If some psycho with a death wish gets mad at me for accidentally cutting him off, I'm not losing my life over it.  But he may.

-Random random random.  Mall shootings, Movie theater shootings, etc.

In Brookfield, WI - an above average income town, we had two mass shootings within a seven year timeframe and less than 1/2 mile apart.

To drive the point home even harder, there are two golf courses that LITERALLY share borders with these two locations.  A golf range is less than 1/4 mile away as well.

Any law abiding citizen knows that you don't brandish your firearm unless the intended use is to protect you and yours.  Just because you (and I, and everyone that I associate with) care about life and have high moral values, doesn't mean everyone feels that way.  Thugs/druggies/psychos could give two sh!ts about you or anything you love if it means they feel disrespected or if you are in their way for something they want.

I don't need you to judge me for carrying the gun, but I may need you to judge me for using it... which leads me to another useful phrase, "it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six".

• Upvote 1

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

Quote:

Lost his permit no doubt.

If so, well deserved.  He shouldn't be waiving his gun b/c of a golf etiquette dispute.  Right to carry a gun is wasted on him.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. -Gas station robberies could and do happen everywhere at any time.  -Some parts of town can see some strange activity, near campuses thugs are out mugging/raping/shooting people with much regularity (Marquette and UW-Milwaukee campuses are regularly in the news for such events) -Road rage happens all the time.  If some psycho with a death wish gets mad at me for accidentally cutting him off, I'm not losing my life over it.  But he may. -Random random random.  Mall shootings, Movie theater shootings, etc.  In Brookfield, WI - an above average income town, we had two mass shootings within a seven year timeframe and less than 1/2 mile apart.  To drive the point home even harder, there are two golf courses that LITERALLY share borders with these two locations.  A golf range is less than 1/4 mile away as well. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/120849/] [/URL] Any law abiding citizen knows that you don't brandish your firearm unless the intended use is to protect you and yours.  Just because you (and I, and everyone that I associate with) care about life and have high moral values, doesn't mean everyone feels that way.  Thugs/druggies/psychos could give two sh!ts about you or anything you love if it means they feel disrespected or if you are in their way for something they want.  I don't need you to judge me for carrying the gun, but I may need you to judge me for using it... which leads me to another useful phrase, "it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six".

I would chalk those locations and the proximity to the courses up to coincidence. A golf course is an unlikely place to encounter a mass shooting. A couple hundred people spread out over 125 acres aren'tsitting ducks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Quote:

Lost his permit no doubt.

If so, well deserved.  He shouldn't be waiving his gun b/c of a golf etiquette dispute.  Right to carry a gun is wasted on him.

If a person who is carrying concealed properly recognizes the great responsibility which comes with that privilege, nobody should ever even know that he's carrying unless they present a threat to his life or well-being (or that of others).

As to the OP, the wingnut should have his permit permanently revoked and do jail time.  He's not a responsible gun owner, he's an armed thug with an obvious (and egregious) lack of judgment, as well as some apparent anger management issues.  Not the kind of person you want walking around with a sidearm.

• Upvote 1

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

If a person who is carrying concealed properly recognizes the great responsibility which comes with that privilege, nobody should ever even know that he's carrying unless they present a threat to his life or well-being (or that of others).  As to the OP, the wingnut should have his permit permanently revoked and do jail time.  He's not a responsible gun owner, he's an armed thug with an obvious (and egregious) lack of judgment, as well as some apparent anger management issues.  Not the kind of person you want walking around with a sidearm.

Nail say hello to head. The problem isn't responsible permit holders with legit reasons to carry. But IMO far too many get one just because they can and treat it like a toy. I live in a small conservative town. You know who carries by the stupid stickers on their vehicles. They want you to know more about them than you should just driving down the road. I know people with friggin assault rifles and body armor that have never been in a fist fight. But you never know when you might have to go full on SWAT to protect yourself.

I would chalk those locations and the proximity to the courses up to coincidence. A golf course is an unlikely place to encounter a mass shooting. A couple hundred people spread out over 125 acres aren'tsitting ducks.

Probably just as unlikely as a church group at a hotel.

Regardless, if there is a shooter on the loose he could run in any direction... an open field with lots of trees and no roads (and perhaps a getaway golf cart) isn't anywhere near out of the realm of possibility, or even probability at that point.

Don't worry though.  Nothing could ever happen to you.

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

Note: This thread is 3292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!