IGNORED

In which sports can women equal men?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Huh? C'mon @Lihu .

That's just what he tells himself as an excuse not to work out ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[quote name="iacas" url="/t/81969/in-which-sports-can-women-equal-men/120#post_1189164"] Huh? C'mon @Lihu .

That's just what he tells himself as an excuse not to work out ;-)[/quote] No need, because I gain muscle mass very easily. :-P Seriously, though, at one point I could do splits and and other flexible stuff while able to bench 280 and other strong stuff, yet was about as graceful as a bull in a China shop even though I weighed less than 190. The way my cousin explained it to me is the way muscles fire. They literally fire different groups throughout the motion. The bigger the muscles, the jerker the motion. She hooked me up to some electrodes in a lab to observe my contractions. That was way cool. She did similar things to other people and animals.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

She did similar things to other people and animals.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

[quote]l. She did similar things to other people and animals.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

As for standards, best info I've heard is that they were enforced across the board more strictly in this class than is usual due to the level of scrutiny on the "standards." This seems to be confirmed by the overall lower than average pass rate among male candidates.

I hope that is true.  Although I put very little faith in what the government tells us about issues like this.

She hooked me up to some electrodes in a lab to observe my contractions. That was way cool. She did similar things to other people and animals.

Is that what she told you she was doing with those electrodes?  Bless your heart. :whistle:

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

[QUOTE name="k-troop" url="/t/81969/in-which-sports-can-women-equal-men/108#post_1188922"]   [CONTENTEMBED=/t/81969/in-which-sports-can-women-equal-men/100_20#post_1188921 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED] As for standards, best info I've heard is that they were enforced across the board more strictly in this class than is usual due to the level of scrutiny on the "standards." This seems to be confirmed by the overall lower than average pass rate among male candidates.[/QUOTE] I hope that is true.  Although I put very little faith in what the government tells us about issues like this. [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/81969/in-which-sports-can-women-equal-men/126#post_1189197"]   [CONTENTEMBED=/t/81969/in-which-sports-can-women-equal-men/126#post_1189183 layout=inline] She hooked me up to some electrodes in a lab to observe my contractions. That was way cool. She did similar things to other people and animals.[/CONTENTEMBED] [/QUOTE] Is that what she told you she was doing with those electrodes?  Bless your heart. :whistle:

Hooked them up to data acquisition equipment of that time, not as bad as piercings and such. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I hope that is true.  Although I put very little faith in what the government tells us about issues like this.

There is what the "government" says, and what people you know, who happen to be in government, say.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

No need, because I gain muscle mass very easily.

Seriously, though, at one point I could do splits and and other flexible stuff while able to bench 280 and other strong stuff, yet was about as graceful as a bull in a China shop even though I weighed less than 190. The way my cousin explained it to me is the way muscles fire. They literally fire different groups throughout the motion. The bigger the muscles, the jerker the motion. She hooked me up to some electrodes in a lab to observe my contractions. That was way cool. She did similar things to other people and animals.

Sorry @Lihu oing to use you as the model for the prototypical male.  Muscle mass has little to do with grace or smooth body movements.   Ever see Herschel Walker?

Joe Paradiso

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/81969/in-which-sports-can-women-equal-men/120_30#post_1189197"] No need, because I gain muscle mass very easily. :-P Seriously, though, at one point I could do splits and and other flexible stuff while able to bench 280 and other strong stuff, yet was about as graceful as a bull in a China shop even though I weighed less than 190. The way my cousin explained it to me is the way muscles fire. They literally fire different groups throughout the motion. The bigger the muscles, the jerker the motion. She hooked me up to some electrodes in a lab to observe my contractions. That was way cool. She did similar things to other people and animals.[/QUOTE] Sorry @Lihu but we're not going to use you as the model for the prototypical male.  Muscle mass has little to do with grace or smooth body movements.   Ever see Herschel Walker?

Gosh, I hope not! My cousin was just offering a scientific experiment showing me why I could never be that graceful. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

There is what the "government" says, and what people you know, who happen to be in government, say.

Yup there is.  But I don't know any of the people involved so I have only what the government says.  And, as I said, when it comes to defense of PC, I do not trust what the government says.

Rich - in name only

Has anyone mentioned billiards?  I think that besides the break shot (which is still very important) women need no more power or strength or testosterone then men do to be competitive.  I used to play a lot and new many women who were amazing no matter their sex.  I dated a girl who in my opinion could have gone pro, she was a bartender at a golf course I went too a few times the first times I tried playing golf about 12 years ago or so.  She got pulled into a conversation my two friends and I were having and all of a sudden would up discussing pool and she mentioned a few things.  Lo and behold I was lucky enough to procure a date with her at a nice pool hall/bar near my place and we went and played.  She whipped my butt but good.  She tanked a straight in shot on the three ball while we were playing 9 ball and later that evening at my place cuddled up on the couch I asked her why she tanked that shot of all shots.  She laughed and said "well I wanted you to feel good about yourself".  LOL!  Very kind of her after slapping me around the pool table in 8-ball for a few games before we switched to 9-ball where I was able to win a few against her.

Has anyone mentioned billiards?  I think that besides the break shot (which is still very important) women need no more power or strength or testosterone then men do to be competitive.  I used to play a lot and new many women who were amazing no matter their sex.  I dated a girl who in my opinion could have gone pro, she was a bartender at a golf course I went too a few times the first times I tried playing golf about 12 years ago or so.  She got pulled into a conversation my two friends and I were having and all of a sudden would up discussing pool and she mentioned a few things.  Lo and behold I was lucky enough to procure a date with her at a nice pool hall/bar near my place and we went and played.  She whipped my butt but good.  She tanked a straight in shot on the three ball while we were playing 9 ball and later that evening at my place cuddled up on the couch I asked her why she tanked that shot of all shots.  She laughed and said "well I wanted you to feel good about yourself".  LOL!  Very kind of her after slapping me around the pool table in 8-ball for a few games before we switched to 9-ball where I was able to win a few against her.

I kind of wondered about this too. There are a lot of really good lady players for sure.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Nor do they need more power,strength in putting yet..... Also, Billiards isn't really a sport, it's a game.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Nor do they need more power,strength in putting yet..... Also, Billiards isn't really a sport, it's a game.

The key word in the thread title, I believe, is "can." I get your point, and I agree that women DONT putt as well as men, but that doesn't mean that they CANT. No comment is regards to the sport/game argument. ;) Lets just say for this argument that if its on ESPN, then it qualifies. And that said, I thought of one that certainly qualifies ... The Spelling Bee!!! ;)

Big wall free climbing. Lynn Hill was the first to free climb the Nose in Yosemite.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

If you really mean billiards, then no.  Therese Klompenhouwer is far and away the best female 3-cushion billiards player in the world and while she plays in some men's events she is nowhere near competitive with the real players.

In pool, I think Jeanette Lee may have competed in some men's events but I cannot see that she has ever won anything in them, while she completely dominated women's pool for more than a decade.

It would be hard to find more polar opposites to these 2 in the looks department.

Rich - in name only

Nor do they need more power,strength in putting yet.....

Also, Billiards isn't really a sport, it's a game.

games:  billiards, car racing, bowling, golf, baseball, archery, shooting, etc, etc, etc

sports:  football, soccer, wrestling, volleyball, tennis, etc

I'd wonder if we'd find a couple in each catagory at some point.

Games - I think most any would be candidates if the right women would choose to try.

Sports - climbing is an obvious possibility, track and field events, speed events (skiing, sleds, etc)

even so, those are all activities I'd think are 'possible' just based on  physical considerations.  I just don't know if there is also a psychological aspect to consider too that might dominate

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!