IGNORED

Things not to say to a playing partner. . .

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

LOL. I can't tell you how many older gentleman I play with named Dick. It is really out of hand. I play mostly during the week and during the day.

Lol dick out of hand.

"Witty golf quote."

Occasionally I'll say something like 'Yeah... you're pretty screwed' if someone has a freakishly bad lie.  I'm always smiling and trying to be lighthearted about it though.  I mean, how mad can someone reasonably get? :poo: happens.

I thought you said you've played golf before.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You know the hole goes that way, right?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Did you bring enough golf balls with you? */emoticons/blush.png"/> *

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Right before their tee shot... "Do you breathe IN or OUT on your backswing?"

I might have to give this one a try in a tightly contested match at some point.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

"I can't believe you missed that shot."   - pretty common utterance but can rub the partner the wrong way.

"You/I play like a Thai Girl."  - I heard this "joke" from another golfer like 5 times in the same round.  It was only funny the 1st time.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

"I don't know how that ball didn't go in the hole" - after they've missed read the putt by feet.

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

The only thing that bothers me is when people are condescending because they don't understand why I would do something else, other than they think the game should be played.   Along the lines of "You're never going to be good unless you do this..."   And "this" is usually something that is not universal.   If someone says "You're not going to be good because you move your head", that's a pretty valid statement.   If someone says "You're never going to be really good unless you stop pitching and running the ball", well that is not particularly true.

Generally most people aren't trying to be negative, it might come out wrong or that's just how they deal with people.

I once played with someone from work and we were on 17 and he hit a terrible shot and was pissed.   I told him "Don't worry, it's just a bad shot.   You hit a lot of good ones".   He never asked me to play again, and the look on his face when I said it was priceless.   Oops...

—Adam

Right before their tee shot... "Do you breathe IN or OUT on your backswing?"

Great now that is going to be in my head next time I step on to the tee box!!!!!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

When they come up short on a putt that's on-line say; nice putt Alice

Another thing to say to a player after he strikes the dirt before the ball you can say; I was watching an instruction video on good ball striking by Sergio Garcia, and he said you are suppose to take a divot after striking the ball, not before

"I read in Golf Digest that 85% of putts that fail to reach the hole don't go in."

60% of the time, it works every time

In my Grom:

Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Most people I've played with in my life have a pretty good sense of humor out there. The one thing I don't think you should ever do is give someone is swing advice. Unless it's asked for explicitly, of course. Even then, I'd steer clear of doing it.

Years ago, when I first implemented a proper pitch shot ( http://thesandtrap.com/t/39411/quickie-pitching-video-golf-pitch-shot-technique ), I remember a guy trying to tell me I was too "flippy" and I should do it with stiff arms and the ball played way back.

Now, I'm a boss with that shot, and anytime he hits a shitty short shot I tell him he's too flippy.

Most people I've played with in my life have a pretty good sense of humor out there. The one thing I don't think you should ever do is give someone is swing advice. Unless it's asked for explicitly, of course. Even then, I'd steer clear of doing it.

Years ago, when I first implemented a proper pitch shot (http://thesandtrap.com/t/39411/quickie-pitching-video-golf-pitch-shot-technique), I remember a guy trying to tell me I was too "flippy" and I should do it with stiff arms and the ball played way back.

Now, I'm a boss with that shot, and anytime he hits a shitty short shot I tell him he's too flippy.

I play with a guy who at first told me:

I teed the ball up way to high and too far forward. Of course I drive it 265 to 280. He barely tees it at all and in the middle of his stance and gets 220.

Sure he goes straight and I can be a bit erratic, but that has nothing to do with tee or ball placement.

I think the problem with giving swing advice is what works for me may not work for you.

I told a friend who is starting out, (who Coincidentally got advice from my old playing partner) the only real thing that matters is that the club head is square at impact. doesnt matter how you get there, just get there!

Or course I realize I was giving him advice, so it is what it is!

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Note: This thread is 3230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!