IGNORED

Playing Alone

AdamC
Note: This thread is 3362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I enjoy playing with friends and family, especially my 10 year old grandson.  I also enjoy playing some rounds by myself at quiet times on the course which I find very relaxing and focused which is good for my game.  Early season, I look forward to solo practice rounds trying different shots and clubs and forgetting about handicap.  I am not a tournament player (but I do occasionally play for some $$) and am never bored playing by myself.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've played quite a few solo 9 hole rounds lately.  I enjoy it.  It's quiet and if I play in the twilight hours, there usually isn't anyone else out there.  I usually play 2 balls from the tee.  Also been making a point to drop a ball at the 150 marker and hit my 7 iron to get my distance zeroed in.

This seems odd to me.  At the course I worked for, we had people lined up waiting to go out for twilight rates.  Our twilight rate didn't start until 2 hours before sunset, and we didn't even sell twilight tickets until 10 minutes before the first twilight time.  We would have players lined up at the counter for both front and back 9's if there were no players making the turn (no back 9 twilight if I still had 18 hole golfers on the front 9 - those who paid full price had priority).

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

This seems odd to me.  At the course I worked for, we had people lined up waiting to go out for twilight rates.  Our twilight rate didn't start until 2 hours before sunset, and we didn't even sell twilight tickets until 10 minutes before the first twilight time.  We would have players lined up at the counter for both front and back 9's if there were no players making the turn (no back 9 twilight if I still had 18 hole golfers on the front 9 - those who paid full price had priority).

My course, there will be a scramble tonight at five on the front nine, the back nine will have maybe two parties at the most.

Edit: I keep thinking it is Friday today. The course will be all but deserted by six.

I tend to play by myself a lot because I don't know many people who golf. I am much less likely to get angry when I golf with others because having someone to talk to and get my mind off what is going on tends to help me stay calm. Overall I've been much better about not getting angry anyway, but in general having others around helps with that even more.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

i enjoy playing solo. i work in an industry where i talk to The General Public face-to-face for hours every day, so getting some time alone to chill out is good for mental health.

at my local course, i can usually get out on Monday AM right after the Men's Club tees off and get in leisurely round. turn on some music and maybe a beer or two on a warm day and i can just focus on myself and my game.

i am fortunate that when/if i join up with someone else during the round, which is about 50% of the time, they're generally cool people.

I play a par 61 course alone in the evenings and some weekends. I'm able to focus on my game and take a little extra practice with chip/pitch/putt (provided no one is right behind me).

I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to go to a par 72 course alone and join a group. My game is improving but I guess it brings up the question....are men receptive to playing a round with a woman they don't know? I've been asked to join groups of guys ahead and behind me that see me play on the shorter course. But sight unseen just teeing off on the first hole? Never tried it.

I play a par 61 course alone in the evenings and some weekends. I'm able to focus on my game and take a little extra practice with chip/pitch/putt (provided no one is right behind me).

I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to go to a par 72 course alone and join a group. My game is improving but I guess it brings up the question....are men receptive to playing a round with a woman they don't know? I've been asked to join groups of guys ahead and behind me that see me play on the shorter course. But sight unseen just teeing off on the first hole? Never tried it.

I helped my wife learn to play golf (no, not how to swing the club, professionals helped her with that), so I think I'm pretty receptive to playing with women.  Now that she's played for a couple of decades, she has no problem playing with anyone, man or woman. However, there are definitely men out there who believe the old stereotypes, such as:

Women play slow

Women play poorly

Women don't know the etiquette

I've played with enough women to know that those generalizations just aren't true most of the time, and slow play, poor play, and bad etiquette are just as likely to happen with men as with women.  If you're comfortable with your understanding of etiquette, and play at a reasonable pace, you should feel free to go to any course, and to play with anyone there.  You're probably a better playing companion than half the other players.  And if you're a 25 handicap, and you can shoot in the mid-90s on a par-72 course at least some of the time, you'll also beat your fair share of the men.  Good luck!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I helped my wife learn to play golf (no, not how to swing the club, professionals helped her with that), so I think I'm pretty receptive to playing with women.  Now that she's played for a couple of decades, she has no problem playing with anyone, man or woman. However, there are definitely men out there who believe the old stereotypes, such as:

Women play slow

Women play poorly

I've played with enough women to know that those generalizations just aren't true most of the time, and slow play, poor play, and bad etiquette are just as likely to happen with men as with women.  If you're comfortable with your understanding of etiquette, and play at a reasonable pace, you should feel free to go to any course, and to play with anyone there.  You're probably a better playing companion than half the other players.  And if you're a 25 handicap, and you can shoot in the mid-90s on a par-72 course at least some of the time, you'll also beat your fair share of the men.  Good luck!

Thanks! I can hold my own. :) I've hit better than some of the guys I've played with and they are generally supportive (the younger guys more so). Perhaps I'll give it a go very soon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP043

Women play slow

Women play poorly

Thanks! I can hold my own. :) I've hit better than some of the guys I've played with and they are generally supportive (the younger guys more so). Perhaps I'll give it a go very soon!

Definitely go for it.

If there is a problem, it would be theirs...

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I've been a golf nut for more than 50 years and can see my life in some of these postings. When I was younger I would go out after work and hit a couple of balls to work on my game. Now that I am retired and in my 60's, if I can't get my buddies to come out and play, the pro shop at my local course gets me out first and I usually walk 18 holes in 2 hours 40 minutes. I don't really want to hit two balls anymore, but I will occasionally drop a second ball around the green if I miss a chip or misread a putt.

I loved working on improving my game when I was young and hitting two balls in the evenings, and now I love the peace and solace I find just walking the course in the mornings and playing senior tees. I may even go out tomorrow morning and walk 18.

I love this game. :-D

• Upvote 1

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I've been a golf nut for more than 50 years and can see my life in some of these postings. When I was younger I would go out after work and hit a couple of balls to work on my game. Now that I am retired and in my 60's, if I can't get my buddies to come out and play, the pro shop at my local course gets me out first and I usually walk 18 holes in 2 hours 40 minutes. I don't really want to hit two balls anymore, but I will occasionally drop a second ball around the green if I miss a chip or misread a putt.

I loved working on improving my game when I was young and hitting two balls in the evenings, and now I love the peace and solace I find just walking the course in the mornings and playing senior tees. I may even go out tomorrow morning and walk 18.

I love this game.

Sounds like me, just hit 60.  My schoolboy friends are around but no longer want to play, which is weird. I go out alone, or the club pairs me up with someone else. Now that my son is almost 9, I will take him after school and on our vacations. When I travel on business, I bring clubs, go out alone and am paired up.Going to join a league in the Fall to get to know some players. I enjoy the game, the strategy, being outside, and the challenges.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfreuter415

I love this game.

Sounds like me, just hit 60.  My schoolboy friends are around but no longer want to play, which is weird. I go out alone, or the club pairs me up with someone else. Now that my son is almost 9, I will take him after school and on our vacations. When I travel on business, I bring clubs, go out alone and am paired up.Going to join a league in the Fall to get to know some players. I enjoy the game, the strategy, being outside, and the challenges.

Wait, you have an almost 9 year old child and just hit 60?    It'd be a few more years before you can play serious golf with your son.

As for me, I play on busy weekends.  I.e, usually play with 4 players, me & my wife and whoever shows up on our tee time.   I am not used to playing alone.  When I do, I hate the waiting and prefer to be paired up with a player or two.  If there are no waiting, I'd love to play by myself, enjoying the view, and hitting multiple balls for added practice.     The most relaxed & fun golf rounds my wife and I play are the ones with no group in front nor behind.   That's a piece of heave and we just love it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Wait, you have an almost 9 year old child and just hit 60?    It'd be a few more years before you can play serious golf with your son.

As for me, I play on busy weekends.  I.e, usually play with 4 players, me & my wife and whoever shows up on our tee time.   I am not used to playing alone.  When I do, I hate the waiting and prefer to be paired up with a player or two.  If there are no waiting, I'd love to play by myself, enjoying the view, and hitting multiple balls for added practice.     The most relaxed & fun golf rounds my wife and I play are the ones with no group in front or behind.   Just love it.

Yes, Rick, I have an almost 9 yr old, and a 23 yr old son, both of whom play. The 23 yr old is a beast when it comes to golf. He played against Cody Gribble in high school regionals. He was 17 and fairly intimidated by Gribble. They were tied after the first round, and then on the second day, he lost focus, and was not mentally ready for someone with that speed and experience. Five years later, he now has a 114 swing speed (added almost 10 mph) after getting stronger. But married and in the Air Force. So he plays in a league. When I travel to see him, we play together, but he has me on drives by 30-40 yards. He is supremely confident and arrogant in a fun way on the course and quite the trash talker -- perfect for a tournament golfer.

I look forward to taking the 9 yr old to the RJT Trail and California in the near future. Getting him enrolled in golf camp this summer..

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I played alone tonight and it was great. League on the front side, so I started on the back. The sky was really threatening looking, which scared people away, so I had the course to myself. Played multiple balls (up to 8 on a hole). Best day of striking the ball in a long time, especially my woods.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

If the wife is delivering mail on Saturday (her schedule is every OTHER Saturday) I'll book a tee time for myself and show up as a single.  Can't remember the last time I had to play a round by myself.  I enjoy the company of other players no matter how well or (gulp) badly they might play.

One of the greatest things about golf is that as many times as I've been paired up with other players, I have yet to come across a jerk in this game.  Can't think of another walk of life with a higher percentage of decent people.

One more reason to love golf.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

If the wife is delivering mail on Saturday (her schedule is every OTHER Saturday) I'll book a tee time for myself and show up as a single.  Can't remember the last time I had to play a round by myself.  I enjoy the company of other players no matter how well or (gulp) badly they might play. One of the greatest things about golf is that as many times as I've been paired up with other players, I have yet to come across a jerk in this game.  Can't think of another walk of life with a higher percentage of decent people. One more reason to love golf. dave

You haven't played with me. :-D You've never played with Gretchen either. What a Beotch! After a few rounds with her, I did anything to avoid getting paired with her. She must be dead now since that was 20 years ago and she was in her 80's then. RIP Actually, I've only met a few over the years myself. Often the guys (and sometimes gals) I get paired with are really interesting. From all over the world. I've fallen in love a couple of times, but alas, I'm married.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I play a par 61 course alone in the evenings and some weekends. I'm able to focus on my game and take a little extra practice with chip/pitch/putt (provided no one is right behind me).  I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to go to a par 72 course alone and join a group. My game is improving but I guess it brings up the question....are men receptive to playing a round with a woman they don't know? I've been asked to join groups of guys ahead and behind me that see me play on the shorter course. But sight unseen just teeing off on the first hole? Never tried it.

I've played with lots of women and I find that they're uaually great to play with. The issue about women playing slowly is your biggest hurdle withsome guys. Ive ffound women much more likely to move along quicker from a lost ball than men. As long as you keep the pace you're gold! As an aside the slow sterotype is imo related to womens night in the course. When women golf in groups I do think they're slow in general as its more of a social thing.

I like playing with others, but often play alone.  I find I score better as when I play with others I tend to try to hard.  Being an 51 year old rookie (been playing just under 8 months) playing alone is great so I can work on things and take my time.  I try and walk 9 holes every morning (Mon-Friday) weather permitting.   I get to the course around 6:30am before anyone gets there and it is peaceful and great way to start out my day.

Note: This thread is 3362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!